WS-2310

  • hmcpeak
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 7, 2003
      I'm on the verge of purchasing a 2310 or 2315. Does anyone have any
      positive or negative impressions or other suggestions in their price
      range?

      Also, the two places I'm looking at price wise(2310) are
      Partsbin.com/Hewes Time and Weather(and another name I don't
      remember) and DynaDirect with the later being the best price
      shipped, US$166. Any experience with these places?

      Thanks,
      Holland
    • Ryan
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 7, 2003
        I bought my second WS-2310 from Dynadirect. They just submit the order to
        Lacrosse so you get the station direct from the manufacturer. I ordered my
        first WS-2310 from Provantage and it was shipped directly from Lacrosse too.

        For the price (read cheap!) it's great. The first time around I hated it and
        sent it back because I was getting massive windspikes from the cable
        interference. That was in August I think. Last month I read about the cable
        mod and decided to take the plunge again. I rewired the wind sensor and the
        rain gauge and none of them have displayed any data spikes since.

        So far I'm happy. The accuracy is pretty good. When I first got my station I
        painted the rain cover on the transmitter/sensor white and that helped a lot
        with some crazy readings I was getting from the sun shining close to the
        temp sensor. The temp readings have been accurate ever since. I just
        finished painting the transmitter/temp sensor housing white in an attempt to
        fend off any future solar radiation problems. The wind sensor is pretty
        nice. It only froze up once so far since the temps have dropped below
        freezing. The rain gauge works prefectly too.

        I use the station wirelessly and I had to move the base closer to the
        transmitter to eliminate some reception problems. I'd say it was about 50
        feet away and I had to move the base about 25 feet closer give or take. I
        used a standard 50 foot phone extension cable with a coupler and the base
        has no problem feeding data to my computer. I'm trying to figure out how to
        wire it all up but we rent and I don't think the landlord would be too
        enthusiastic if I started drilling holes through walls. Even in the name of
        science!! ;)

        Aside from having to rewire everything the one thing I really didn't like
        was the fact that the wind sensor directions are hardwired into the wind
        sensor. My wind sensor is mounted way off direction wise from what's labled
        on the sensor so I had to print up a little compass rose with the correct
        directions to tape above the base station.

        I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of stuff out so ask away and I'll try to answer
        your questions.

        > I'm on the verge of purchasing a 2310 or 2315. Does anyone have any
        > positive or negative impressions or other suggestions in their price
        > range?
        >
        > Also, the two places I'm looking at price wise(2310) are
        > Partsbin.com/Hewes Time and Weather(and another name I don't
        > remember) and DynaDirect with the later being the best price
        > shipped, US$166. Any experience with these places?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Holland

      • hmcpeak
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 7, 2003
          Ryan,
          Thanks very much for taking the time to give the detailed reply. I
          appreciate it.

          I started out thinking I would get the 9016U and as usual have now
          escalated. My concerns about the 2310 were:

          -wind sensor being a 'fan' instead of the more conventional look.
          Guess that's a cost statement but questionable to me. But for all I
          know it might actually be more reliable.

          - Low sampling rate looks like it rules out measuring wind gusts.
          If I read the spec right gong with wire instead of wireless may
          improve that somewhat.

          - I've read about the 'noise' or whatever problem with the wind
          sensor but think I'll just kind of drape the cable in place and see
          how it works and not do the cable mod unless I have to. Did I
          understand right that you replaced both of the cables going to the
          wind sensor and the rain gauge, not just to the wind sensor?

          - Looks like the range of the wireless is pretty limited but it
          shouldn't be a problem for me to run the cable and drill a hole in
          the floor, just need to get a crimper to put a new connector on the
          cable after I push the cable thru the hole.

          - Who the heck to order this thing from that is a good deal but is
          reliable. Since you had an ok experience with Dynadirect I may go
          with them.

          On the mislabeled direction on the wind sensor, seems pretty crappy
          but since you pointed it out I'll make sure it's ok before I take
          the ladder down.<G>

          Are you satisfied with the Heavy Weather software? The pictures
          look good of course.

          Not sure where the rain gauge is going but it's got to be located
          where I can clean out the leaves and stuff from the trees and meets
          the approval of my wife....

          I haven't read any to speak of on the solar radiation thing so guess
          I'll worry about that if I seem to have a problem. Saw a note about
          a Davis shield that looked like it was pretty expensive.

          Thanks again! I'll sleep on it but looks like tomorrow my order
          goes in.

          Holland
        • Ryan
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2003
            Answers beloooooooooooooooooow.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
              "hmcpeak" <hmcpeake@...> wrote:
              > Also, the two places I'm looking at price wise(2310) are
              > Partsbin.com/Hewes Time and Weather(and another name I don't
              > remember) and DynaDirect with the later being the best price
              > shipped, US$166. Any experience with these places?

              I wish I had joined this forum before I ordered my 2315. It's on its way
              from EverythingHome.com and it's costing me $183+20S&H. It was less than
              some other places, but I see it wasn't the cheapest.

              I'm glad to see at least a little activity on here. I've never had a
              weather station before, although I've been wanting one for some time.
              I did quite a bit of surfing before deciding on the 2315 as the best
              combination of features for what I wanted to spend.

              I'll try mine without the cable mod at first to see if it's necessary.

              Lane
              ____
              Lane P. Lester / Madison County, Georgia USA
              *** Running Linux more and Windows less ***
            • hmcpeak
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
                > Wired updates pretty fast. I think it was every 5 or 8 seconds.

                I read that also, think it may have been 8 seconds.

                >Wireless updates every two minutes give or take. That pretty much
                >sucks and it does rule out gusts unless you get lucky. I read
                >somewhere that above a certain threshold it will transmit the data
                >faster in wireless mode but I don't know what that threshold is or
                >if it's rain or wind related.

                If the wind is blowing faster than about 22 mph it updates I think
                every 32 seconds, still pretty slow.

                > I'm desperately trying to figure out a way to wire my transmitter
                >to my base but so far I haven't figured out an acceptable solution
                >yet.

                Good luck, I think that's the way to go.

                >I ordered a couple things from Dynadirect and both times everything
                >went just fine.

                Ordered it this morning.

                > > Are you satisfied with the Heavy Weather software? The pictures
                > > look good of course.
                > It's crapola.

                That's what I was afraid of, it was either going to be crappy or it
                would be trialware looking for more money.

                >I use Weather Display which will be another $50 on top of the
                > station.

                I had that bookmarked but really haven't started looking at that yet.
                I had read where the guy doing FreeWX was thinking of supporting
                more weather stations but then saw a note from him saying the La
                Crosse protocol wasn't documented and would be hard to do.

                > Any more questions just ask!

                Thanks. I'll be quiet now til I get to open it on Christmas
                morning.<G>

                Holland
              • hmcpeak
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
                  > I wish I had joined this forum before I ordered my 2315. It's on
                  >its way from EverythingHome.com and it's costing me $183+20S&H.

                  I think I looked at every place under the sun and $166 shipped was
                  the best I could find. Even tried ebay but with shipping they
                  didn't turn out so good.

                  > I'm glad to see at least a little activity on here.

                  It would be nice to get more users in here.

                  >I've never had a weather station before

                  Same here, hopefully it will be a fun learning experience.

                  > I did quite a bit of surfing before deciding on the 2315 as the
                  >best combination of features for what I wanted to spend.

                  I subscribe to the Langa news letter and he mentioned weather
                  stations and La Crosse in specific so that caused me to consider
                  getting a weather station. Don't know which one he has but the 2310
                  is about as much as I wanted to spend. BJ's has the 2310, actually
                  the TWC version, for $180 but with tax that would have pushed it to
                  around $193.

                  > I'll try mine without the cable mod at first to see if it's
                  >necessary.

                  Me to.

                  Holland
                • Ryan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003

                    > > I'll try mine without the cable mod at first to see if it's
                    > >necessary.
                    >
                    > Me to.

                    I wouldn't worry about the spikes too much. I'm probably in an unusual area.
                    I have the transmitter for my police district maybe half a mile away along
                    with some other transmitters sprinkled around me. If you do have problems
                    it's not so bad rewiring.
                  • Ryan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2003
                      > I had that bookmarked but really haven't started looking at that yet.
                      > I had read where the guy doing FreeWX was thinking of supporting
                      > more weather stations but then saw a note from him saying the La
                      > Crosse protocol wasn't documented and would be hard to do.

                      Read the Weather Display forum <http://www.weather-watch.com/phpBB2/> before
                      you decide if you want to purchase it or not. I'm still on the fence. Every
                      so often the guy that writes WD gets a bout of the "screw 'ems" which makes
                      me a little weary. On the plus side it's probably the cheapest software out
                      there and there are a lot of features.
                    • Lane P. Lester
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                        "hmcpeak" <hmcpeake@...> wrote:
                        > >I use Weather Display which will be another $50 on top of the
                        > > station.
                        >
                        > I had that bookmarked but really haven't started looking at that yet.
                        > I had read where the guy doing FreeWX was thinking of supporting
                        > more weather stations but then saw a note from him saying the La
                        > Crosse protocol wasn't documented and would be hard to do.

                        It must not be too hard to figure out. Kenneth Lavrsen has written
                        software for Linux.

                        Lane
                        ____
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                          > I think I looked at every place under the sun and $166 shipped was
                          > the best I could find.

                          Let me correct that. Actually the best prices were from the La
                          Crosse Outlet Store at this url:

                          http://www.commercecrossing.com/

                          These are returns/refurbs and stuff appears to go on and off the
                          list as they get it. At the moment there are 3 classifications of
                          2310's available

                          Like New... Don't remember price, it wasn't competitive
                          Minor Flaw on Front 152 US$
                          Noticable Flaw on Front 124 US$

                          I think there are better definitions of what 'flaws' means somewhere
                          on the site.

                          Lots of other stuff also, some good prices some not.

                          Holland
                        • hmcpeak
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                            > Read the Weather Display forum <http://www.weather-
                            >watch.com/phpBB2/> before you decide if you want to purchase it or
                            >not.

                            I'll do a little reading but will wait til I get the 2310 installed
                            before I make any decisions.

                            Holland
                          • hmcpeak
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 9, 2003
                              > > I had read where the guy doing FreeWX was thinking of supporting
                              > > more weather stations but then saw a note from him saying the La
                              > > Crosse protocol wasn't documented and would be hard to do.
                              >
                              > It must not be too hard to figure out. Kenneth Lavrsen has written
                              > software for Linux.

                              Yes I noticed other programs supporting the 2310. Think I'll see if
                              I can post a note to him.