Re: What grease would you use for recoating the primary mirror cell slider

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "wforacer.rm" <wforacer@...> wrote:

      > What grease would you use for recoating the primary mirror cell slider
      > on a LX200GPS 14". I'm told Meade does not sell this grease.
      >
      > Someone told me certain grease might "out gassing" and may be a
      > problem.

      There's only one that's truly suitable: Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease,
      UPC 0-77472-13228-7, in a 5.3 oz (150g) tube

      Available from McMaster-Carr at <http://www.mcmaster.com/>; enter the
      phrase "high vacuum grease" to the search window at the upper-left
      corner without the quotes. The price is US$18.08 for one 5.3 oz tube
      which is more than enough to do many SCTs.

      It's been used by many people (including myself) for years and all those
      in the sct-user group agree it's the best product for this purpose.

      Make *SURE* all old grease is removed before regreasing.
    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
        I use the NAPA (auto parts store) Sil-Glyde lubricant which comes in a plastic
        tube....excellent to any temperature extreme possible.

        Dr. Clay
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        Harvard MPC/ H43 (Conway)
        Harvard MPC/ H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
        Harvard MPC/ H45 (Petit Jean Mtn. South)
        http://www.arksky.org/