Re: Losmandy dovetail / other issues

  • reim58
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2006
      I found out a few things trying out my LX200R last night. I spoke
      with OPT about the Losmandy rail and they checked some of their
      scopes.
      Result: It appears that Meade has changed the holes on the back end
      of the scope (OPT was not aware of this). They moved the viewfinder
      away from the GPS (probably to make the GPS receiver work better)
      and used one of the other mounting screws holes and they removed one
      screw location. The result is the losmandy rail system will not fit
      new LX200 GPS scopes. I had to cut away part of the rail system to
      make it work.

      Another issue: There are three mounting holes on the bottom of the
      scope for attaching to a wedge. One of the holes (the one you put
      the wedge bolt in first) was drilled too large (they drilled it the
      same size as the middle hole you use for the tripod). Again OPT
      checked some of their scopes and it appears the Meade did drill this
      hole larger but they put a helio coil in it to make it the same size
      as the other two holes. As luck would have it they forgot to put
      this reducer in my scope so now I cannot mount it to a wedge (since
      if I use a larger bolt then the larger bolt won't fit in the wedge).
      I was less than pleased about this since I was in the field when I
      discovered this.

      Ok, last issue. This is a new scope that I just got last week.
      During checkout I noticed something in the optical path. It turned
      out to be a piece of the baffle tube (a thin circular piece the same
      diameter of the tube). I used a long needle nose plyers to get it
      out.

      Besides all of this I think its a great scope and I like how it
      works. The optics are better than my LX90. I can't say how well it
      does for tracking during imaging since I can't mount it to a wedge
      yet. I guess I will find this out this week when I go to the
      Chiefland star party.

      Bob

      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Simon Hanmer <simon.hanmer@...>
      wrote:

      > I have the Losmandy dovetail system for both my 8" and 10" LX-200
      GPS
      > scopes. Had no trouble whatsoever mounting either dovetail rail on
      > either scope. If you have the right rail for the scope it
      ***will***
      > fit, aligned dead centre with the scope.
      >
      > BTW - the Losmandy rail and mounting rings are one ***sturdy***
      system
      > for piggy-backing a second scope: nary a vibration whatsoever !
      >
      > Simon
      >

      > On Saturday, November 11, 2006, at 08:26 PM, Derek wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Bob. I had the same issue when I changed from my LX90 to
      > > 8"LX200R.I don't remember the details (and I can't check it now
      > > because I since traded in my 8"-it was defective/excessive
      retrograde
      > > motion-for a 10"). I recall having to reverse the Losmandy
      mounting
      > > plate and brackets such that the larger bracket was at the front
      of
      > > the OTA. That worked fine. I also recall having to get a
      different
      > > finder scope bracket because the stock finder would not clear the
      > > fork arm. I believe the holes drilled on my OTA were drilled
      > > incorrectly.
      > >
      > > Derek
      > >
      > > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "reim58" <reim58@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > OK, the only place I find it will fit is if I attached it off
      > > center.
      > > > On my LX90, the plates fit directly on top. Does this sound
      > > correct?
      > > > I was just concerned that I might have more of an issue getting
      > > balance
      > > > if my dovetail system is off center.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > Bob

      > > trying
      > > today.
      LX200.
      > > The
      > > > bracket
      > > 8X
      > > > system

      > Simon Hanmer
      > Work (613) 992-4704
      > Home (613) 232-7049
      > E-Mail (work) shanmer@...
      > E-Mail (home) simon.hanmer@...
      >
      > http://www3.sympatico.ca/simon.hanmer/skh.html
      > http://ottawa.rasc.ca/astronomy/geology/index.html

    • Thad Floryan
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2006
        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "reim58" <reim58@...> wrote:

        > I found out a few things trying out my LX200R last night. I spoke
        > with OPT about the Losmandy rail and they checked some of their
        > scopes.
        > Result: It appears that Meade has changed the holes on the back end
        > of the scope (OPT was not aware of this). They moved the viewfinder
        > away from the GPS (probably to make the GPS receiver work better)
        > and used one of the other mounting screws holes and they removed one
        > screw location. The result is the losmandy rail system will not fit
        > new LX200 GPS scopes. I had to cut away part of the rail system to
        > make it work.

        That was dumb on Meade's part. They could have simply moved the
        finder scope mounting holes to the other (right) side of the OTA to
        prevent any interference with the GPS unit.

        > Another issue: There are three mounting holes on the bottom of the
        > scope for attaching to a wedge. One of the holes (the one you put
        > the wedge bolt in first) was drilled too large (they drilled it the
        > same size as the middle hole you use for the tripod). Again OPT
        > checked some of their scopes and it appears the Meade did drill this
        > hole larger but they put a helio coil in it to make it the same size
        > as the other two holes. As luck would have it they forgot to put
        > this reducer in my scope so now I cannot mount it to a wedge (since
        > if I use a larger bolt then the larger bolt won't fit in the wedge).
        > I was less than pleased about this since I was in the field when I
        > discovered this.

        So much for Meade's "precision" CNC operation.

        The insert is termed Heli-Coil and they're readily available at any
        good hardware store; locally (Silicon Valley) that'd be OSH or Home
        Depot. I mention this since it's unlikely you'd get your scope back
        from Meade before the Chiefland star party next weekend [in case you
        want to insert the Heli-Coil yourself before then].
      • P. Clay Sherrod
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
          On some models there are NOT two sets of holes.

          Dr. Clay
          -------------
          Arkansas Sky Observatories
          Harvard MPC/ H43 (Conway)
          Harvard MPC/ H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
          Harvard MPC/ H45 (Petit Jean Mtn. South)
          http://www.arksky.org/

          >> I found out a few things trying out my LX200R last night. I spoke
          >> with OPT about the Losmandy rail and they checked some of their
          >> scopes.
          >> Result: It appears that Meade has changed the holes on the back end
          >> of the scope (OPT was not aware of this). They moved the viewfinder
          >> away from the GPS (probably to make the GPS receiver work better)
          >> and used one of the other mounting screws holes and they removed one
          >> screw location. The result is the losmandy rail system will not fit
          >> new LX200 GPS scopes. I had to cut away part of the rail system to
          >> make it work.
          >
          > That was dumb on Meade's part. They could have simply moved the
          > finder scope mounting holes to the other (right) side of the OTA to
          > prevent any interference with the GPS unit.
          >

          >> Another issue: There are three mounting holes on the bottom of the
          >> scope for attaching to a wedge. One of the holes (the one you put
          >> the wedge bolt in first) was drilled too large (they drilled it the
          >> same size as the middle hole you use for the tripod). Again OPT
          >> checked some of their scopes and it appears the Meade did drill this
          >> hole larger but they put a helio coil in it to make it the same size
          >> as the other two holes. As luck would have it they forgot to put
          >> this reducer in my scope so now I cannot mount it to a wedge (since
          >> if I use a larger bolt then the larger bolt won't fit in the wedge).
          >> I was less than pleased about this since I was in the field when I
          >> discovered this.
          >
          > So much for Meade's "precision" CNC operation.
          >
          > The insert is termed Heli-Coil and they're readily available at any
          > good hardware store; locally (Silicon Valley) that'd be OSH or Home
          > Depot. I mention this since it's unlikely you'd get your scope back
          > from Meade before the Chiefland star party next weekend [in case you
          > want to insert the Heli-Coil yourself before then].
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • reim58
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
            Thanks for the reply. I got the coil repair kit and it does not
            work. A standard 3/8" Heli-coil is just a little too small to screw
            into the hole ($20 waisted on the kit). So Meade must have had one
            special made for this. I just spoke with Meade and they said this
            will have to be fixed at their machine shop since they have no insert
            they can send me. At this point I will just try to machine a 1/2"
            bolt down to make it work since I dont want to send the scope back.

            Bob

            --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Thad Floryan" <thad@...> wrote:

            > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "reim58" <reim58@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I found out a few things trying out my LX200R last night. I
            spoke
            > > with OPT about the Losmandy rail and they checked some of their
            > > scopes.
            > > Result: It appears that Meade has changed the holes on the back
            end
            > > of the scope (OPT was not aware of this). They moved the
            viewfinder
            > > away from the GPS (probably to make the GPS receiver work better)
            > > and used one of the other mounting screws holes and they removed
            one
            > > screw location. The result is the losmandy rail system will not
            fit
            > > new LX200 GPS scopes. I had to cut away part of the rail system
            > > make it work.
            >
            > That was dumb on Meade's part. They could have simply moved the
            > finder scope mounting holes to the other (right) side of the OTA to
            > prevent any interference with the GPS unit.
            >

            > > Another issue: There are three mounting holes on the bottom of
            the
            > > scope for attaching to a wedge. One of the holes (the one you
            put
            > > the wedge bolt in first) was drilled too large (they drilled it
            the
            > > same size as the middle hole you use for the tripod). Again OPT
            > > checked some of their scopes and it appears the Meade did drill
            this
            > > hole larger but they put a helio coil in it to make it the same
            size
            > > as the other two holes. As luck would have it they forgot to put
            > > this reducer in my scope so now I cannot mount it to a wedge
            (since
            > > if I use a larger bolt then the larger bolt won't fit in the
            wedge).
            > > I was less than pleased about this since I was in the field when
            > > discovered this.
            >
            > So much for Meade's "precision" CNC operation.
            >
            > The insert is termed Heli-Coil and they're readily available at any
            > good hardware store; locally (Silicon Valley) that'd be OSH or Home
            > Depot. I mention this since it's unlikely you'd get your scope back
            > from Meade before the Chiefland star party next weekend [in case you
            > want to insert the Heli-Coil yourself before then].

          • Simon Hanmer
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
              Following the rest of this thread, I realise that I missed the critical
              piece of info regarding Bob's scope - LX-200*R*. Both my scopes are
              pre *R*. I bet Bob's not the only one to come across this Losmandy / R
              compatibility problem. More's the pity since the pre-R systems work so
              well together.

              Simon

            • Derek
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 14, 2006
                Hi Simon. Thanks for the clarification. Can't assume that just
                because it worked for you, that it ***will*** work for everyone
                else.... Derek

                wrote:

> [...]

                system
                > > for piggy-backing a second scope: nary a vibration whatsoever !
                > >
                > > Simon
                > >
                > > On Saturday, November 11, 2006, at 08:26 PM, Derek wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hi Bob. I had the same issue when I changed from my LX90 to
                > > > 8"LX200R.I don't remember the details (and I can't check it now
                > > > because I since traded in my 8"-it was defective/excessive
                retrograde
                > > > motion-for a 10"). I recall having to reverse the Losmandy
                mounting
                > > > plate and brackets such that the larger bracket was at the
                front of
                > > > the OTA. That worked fine. I also recall having to get a
                different
                > > > finder scope bracket because the stock finder would not clear
                the
                > > > fork arm. I believe the holes drilled on my OTA were drilled

              • Jeff Young
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 14, 2006
                  For what it's worth, the finder location thing is not "R"-specific. I
                  had to trim my Losmandy radius block on my 16" LX200GPS.

                  I remember also when Michael Downing was selling his radius blocks (also
                  from a 16" GPS), he mentioned that the top one had been trimmed.

                  -- Jeff.