Re: [LX200GPS] Collimation

  • P. Clay Sherrod
    Message 1 of 89 , Nov 1, 2006
      Note that while this will suggest a possible astigmatism, it will not define the source
      of the astigmatism; such a test will reveal astigmatism that might exist in the mirror,
      the secondary, the eyepiece, a focal reducer, telenegative or even an optical flat
      filter that is in the light path. There simply no quick, down-and-dirty way to test
      accurately for optical figure or misfigure of components mounted in an optical path,
      only individually.

      This is a good place to start however. If you see such as described by Dave - excellent
      by the way - the do the same test with different auxiliary equipment: change eyepiece
      and run the same test, eliminate the diagonal and any other optical item in the light
      path, etc. At least you might narrow it down. But remember that such results do not
      necessarily immediately condemn the primary....too many other factors in play with the
      optics of a catadioptic and with ancillary optical items in the light path.

      Dr. Clay
      -------------
      Arkansas Sky Observatories
      Harvard MPC/ H43 (Conway)
      Harvard MPC/ H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
      Harvard MPC/ H45 (Petit Jean Mtn. South)
      http://www.arksky.org/

      Message 89 of 89 , Jun 4, 2013
        I've done all the steps with my 8" LX200-ACF.

        Mike Weasner
        http://www.weasner.com
        Twitter: @mweasner
        Sent from my iPhone 4