If your dreams could come which 'eyepiece' would you buy?

  • denys_batten
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
      I know this thread will be controversial.

      But, I was wondering, as I am a mere observer of the night sky and ill
      experienced at that. If we all had a load of dough which eyepiece or
      combination of eyepieces would you guys buy in preference to all others
      for a 14" LX200 GPS.....would it be a Nagler 31mm or some other
      treasure.

      I would love to hear your opinion!

      Denys
      Canberra
      Australia
    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
        Actually, hold onto your seat; with all the eyepieces that I test on a regular basis, the best one out there right now is the Meade 30mm Ultra Wide Angle Series 5000 eyepiece; like a porthole in a spaceship. Absolutely blows the others away. About two pounds of finely machined metal though, so some balancing might be required.

        Dr. Clay
        --------------------
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        Harvard MPC H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
        Harvard MPC H45 (Petit Jean Mountain South)
        Harvard MPC H43 (Conway)
        Harvard MPC H44 (Cascade Mountain)
        http://www.arksky.org/

          I know this thread will be controversial.

          But, I was wondering, as I am a mere observer of the night sky and ill
          experienced at that. If we all had a load of dough which eyepiece or
          combination of eyepieces would you guys buy in preference to all others
          for a 14" LX200 GPS.....would it be a Nagler 31mm or some other
          treasure.

          I would love to hear your opinion!

          Denys
          Canberra
          Australia

          ---------------------------------

        • haybus199
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
            Hi All,
            We were lucky enough to have 5,12 & 31mm TV Naglers and a set of
            Meade 5000 UWA's (bar the 4.7) here at the same time. Only had one
            decent nights weather though, But did put the M 30mm & TV 31mm up
            against each other, have to agree with the Doc and as long as Meade
            can control the quality i'd have them anytime. just as an aside the
            5mm & 12mm TV's were made in Taiwan but were also perfect. Over here
            in the UK the bottom line is cost, you have very little hope of
            getting a discount on the TV stuff, But 10% on the 5000's is easy and
            they are cheaper to start with.

            The inconsistencies are the same as the ones for the 3.3/6.3
            reducers, you might get a good one, you might not. At least with the
            reducers you could hunt out earlier Japanese made pieces.

            you might also want to look here
            http://moonfishgroup.com/catalog/images/SKY_06_98-98.pdf

            it's a copy of the bbc sky at night magazine from November comparing
            some eyepieces, Guess they consider price above all else, Not me,
            look at the %points given to the various makers optics. Also notice
            they are comparing a nagler against a superwide not an ultrawide and
            then they mark it down for field of view!

            best wishes
            Hayley

            --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Richard Runcie <doco12004@...> wrote:

            > Doc, I value your opinion, but what do you say to about reported
            inconsistencies with Q/A. I wanted to purchase one, but was a Little
            scared off by these issues. Has Meade resolved these issues with
            there Chinese producers.

            > Best regards, Rick Runcie
            >
            > "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:
            > Actually, hold onto your seat; with all the eyepieces that I test
            on a regular basis, the best one out there right now is the Meade
            30mm Ultra Wide Angle Series 5000 eyepiece; like a porthole in a
            spaceship. Absolutely blows the others away. About two pounds of
            finely machined metal though, so some balancing might be required.

            > Dr. Clay
            > --------------------
            > Arkansas Sky Observatories
            > Harvard MPC H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
            > Harvard MPC H45 (Petit Jean Mountain South)
            > Harvard MPC H43 (Conway)
            > Harvard MPC H44 (Cascade Mountain)
            > http://www.arksky.org/

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • P. Clay Sherrod
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
              I don't think that there is a QA issue with this particular series of eyepieces.
              They are shipping the 24mm UWA 5000 as a stock item with the NEW RCX scopes and I have tested all that have come in here thus far (17).....every one of them seems to simply get better. I have looked hard for a negative to these eyepieces, but have found none. The field is wide and flat, no edge fall-off, perfect pin-prick stars, colors are true and the eye relief is nothing short of extraordinary.

              Dr. Clay
              --------------------

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
                --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "denys_batten" <denysbatten@...> wrote:

                > I know this thread will be controversial.
                >
                > But, I was wondering, as I am a mere observer of the night sky and ill
                > experienced at that. If we all had a load of dough which eyepiece or
                > combination of eyepieces would you guys buy in preference to all
                > others for a 14" LX200 GPS.....would it be a Nagler 31mm or some other
                > treasure.

                Pentax XW series; the entire set.

                A similar question was posed recently in the "sct-user" Yahoo group
                with the same answer. Pentax's eye relief, contrast, sharpness edge-
                to-edge, etc. simply cannot be beat. Try one (or two) at a star party
                and form your own opinion.

                For planetary, though, it's a tossup between the Pentax and Hutech's
                orthos -- the only solution is to buy both sets. :-)

                The reason to buy a set contrasted to a partial set and a Barlow is
                to reduce the number of air/glass surfaces (same as for cameras and
                photography); every additional air/glass interface causes refraction
                and contrast lost.

                FWIW, buy quality up front -- good EPs will last you a lifetime and
                you can spend the (saved) money buying other accessories or more
                LX200s. :-)
              • Jeff Young
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
                  Denys --

                  I find the size of the 31T5 and 41 Panoptic somewhat annoying (and the
                  Meade 30 UWA is even bigger). Take 1/2 a pound off, though, and I don't
                  notice it (ie: 26T5, 22T4, 17T4, 35 Panoptic, etc.).

                  On the other hand, with the focal length of a 14" SCT, you really do
                  want to maximize your view. I've struggled with this conundrum
                  somewhat, and arrived at this uneasy compromise: I have both a 41
                  Panoptic and 26 Nagler T5. I use the 26 most of the time, but have the
                  41 for when I really need it.

                  But if it had to be only one, then yes, I suppose I'd put up with the
                  bulk of the 31T5 -- you'd get most of the FoV of the 41 Panoptic, with
                  the nice wide field of the Naglers.

                  -- Jeff.

                • Don Heckman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 19, 2006
                    A followon question from a relatively new LX200GPS owner. I noticed
                    that the Meade 30mm Ultra Wide Angle Series 5000 eyepiece only comes
                    in 2". How do you mount this onto the 1.25" diagonal? or do you need
                    to also purchase a new diagonal. Suggestions?

                    --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, hold onto your seat; with all the eyepieces that I test on
                    a regular basis, the best one out there right now is the Meade 30mm
                    Ultra Wide Angle Series 5000 eyepiece; like a porthole in a spaceship.
                    Absolutely blows the others away. About two pounds of finely
                    machined metal though, so some balancing might be required.

                    > Dr. Clay
                    > Arkansas Sky Observatories
                    > Harvard MPC H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
                    > Harvard MPC H45 (Petit Jean Mountain South)
                    > Harvard MPC H43 (Conway)
                    > Harvard MPC H44 (Cascade Mountain)
                    > http://www.arksky.org/

                    Service.