Re: Help needed. OTA Lateral play in forks.

  • plalbrecht
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
      I thought about that too, later.

      They probably have something like a round disc with a couple of pins
      set in it, and a handle attached or a hole for a socket wrench or some
      such.

      See if you can find close-fitting pins (steel dowel pins) at a local
      hardware store or industrial supply place. Put them in the holes, put
      a bar between them, find a way to apply torque to the bar. Large
      adjustable wrench maybe.

      There's more complicated, more expensive pin wrenches that adjust to
      various diameters and have a square drive hole for a regular socket
      ratchet handle.

      Wonder why Petersen recommends that specific wrench, with part number,
      if it's not going to fit? Is it really truly not going to fit?

      Pete

      > You know what? Now that I look at these wrenches, I don't think they
      could
      > possible work. Look at my
      > photo again:
      >
      > http://www.treblestef.com/temp/clutch%20002.jpg
      >
      > There is no way to get those pins on these wrenches to mate with the
      holes
      > on the clutch because the fork arm casing is a couple of inches
      deep. The
      > clutch plate is recessed into the fork casing at least 1" so the
      pins on the
      > spanner wrenches could not even engage the clutch holes at a 90*
      angle. This
      > is a bit of a puzzle. I wonder if Meade has a custom tool for this
      purpose.
      > I'm not a machinist, I'm more of a woodworker so I'm not familiar
      with the
      > types of tools available.
      >
      > Maybe I can insert 2 longer steel pins into the holes then use a
      heavy duty
      > long screwdriver to torque it off? I don't think that could damage
      anything,
      > could it?
      >
      > Maybe I should look at the other fork arm with the GPS and level
      sensor to
      > see if take up the slack. Anybody know what I'll find when I open
      that arm
      > up?
      >
      > Stef.
    • johansea
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
        Gday Stef
        If you are good with wood, get a piece say 1"square and 4" long and
        screw'n'glue it to another piece about 2foot long, ( in the middle ).
        Bore two holes to match those in the clutch plate and then insert
        some barstock ( or bolts ) through the holes so they fit snugly into
        the clutch plate. ( Going through 2" of wood will keep them well
        aligned if the holes are snug )
        You now have a nice TBar to apply evenly balanced torque to the
        plate.
        Cheap too.
        Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Stef Cancelli" <scancelli@t...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Pete,
        >
        > You know what? Now that I look at these wrenches, I don't think
        > they could possible work. Look at my photo again:
        >
        > http://www.treblestef.com/temp/clutch%20002.jpg
        >
        > There is no way to get those pins on these wrenches to mate
        > with the holes on the clutch because the fork arm casing is
        > a couple of inches deep.
      • Dave Schwartz
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
          When I tried to contact few U.S. dealers about buying an LX200GPS, and
          my email address was obviously non-U.S, I received no response either -
          even though I would have gone down to pick it up. U.S. dealers are not
          allowed to ship out of the U.S. (to protect the profit margin of Meade's
          international dealers, otherwise, they would never sell anything) but it
          is a little rude to not even respond to say that.

          rafaelpire wrote:

          >Hi friends:
          >I'm trying to contact Woodland Hills in CA to buy a LX200GPS, but
          >they do not answer my mails.
          >Do you know if they changed their email?
          >
          >whcamera@...
          >
          >Sorry. I can't use the phone because I don't speak english.
          >Excuse me this off topics.
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Rafael.
          >Venezuela.
          >http://www.ucla.edu.ve/dmedicin/postgrado/astro/

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • barringtonri
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
            The reason that I recommend that particular spanner wrench is that
            it is high quality and it works very well for removing the inner
            clutch plate. I use it myself. Personally. To remove or to
            tighten inner clutch plates. (A surprising number of them have not
            been properly tightened - which is why this is one of the inspection
            items in the EZ Clutch kit checklist).

            The spanner may go in at an angle, but it engages and it works.

            Nuff said.

            Pete Peterson

            --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "plalbrecht" <plalbrecht@a...>
            wrote:

            > I thought about that too, later.
            >
            > They probably have something like a round disc with a couple of
            pins
            > set in it, and a handle attached or a hole for a socket wrench or
            some
            > such.
            >
            > See if you can find close-fitting pins (steel dowel pins) at a
            local
            > hardware store or industrial supply place. Put them in the holes,
            put
            > a bar between them, find a way to apply torque to the bar. Large
            > adjustable wrench maybe.
            >
            > There's more complicated, more expensive pin wrenches that adjust
            > various diameters and have a square drive hole for a regular socket
            > ratchet handle.
            >
            > Wonder why Petersen recommends that specific wrench, with part
            number,
            > if it's not going to fit? Is it really truly not going to fit?
            >
            > Pete
            >
            > > You know what? Now that I look at these wrenches, I don't think
            they
            > could
            > > possible work. Look at my
            > > photo again:
            > >
            > > http://www.treblestef.com/temp/clutch%20002.jpg
            > >
            > > There is no way to get those pins on these wrenches to mate with
            the
            > holes
            > > on the clutch because the fork arm casing is a couple of inches
            > deep. The
            > > clutch plate is recessed into the fork casing at least 1" so the
            > pins on the
            > > spanner wrenches could not even engage the clutch holes at a 90*
            > angle. This
            > > is a bit of a puzzle. I wonder if Meade has a custom tool for
            this
            > purpose.
            > > I'm not a machinist, I'm more of a woodworker so I'm not familiar
            > with the
            > > types of tools available.
            > >
            > > Maybe I can insert 2 longer steel pins into the holes then use a
            > heavy duty
            > > long screwdriver to torque it off? I don't think that could
            damage
            > anything,
            > > could it?
            > >
            > > Maybe I should look at the other fork arm with the GPS and level
            > sensor to
            > > see if take up the slack. Anybody know what I'll find when I open
            > that arm
            > > up?
            > >
            > > Stef.
          • Michael T. Renzi
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
              That's the same address I have used. I bought my LX200GPS thru them. I
              think I made the initial purchase over the phone though. You might try
              another vendor if they don't respond - I have no complaints about them
              however.

              > I'm trying to contact Woodland Hills in CA to buy a LX200GPS, but
              > they do not answer my mails.
              > Do you know if they changed their email?
              >
              > whcamera@...
              >
              > Sorry. I can't use the phone because I don't speak english.
              > Excuse me this off topics.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Rafael.
              > Venezuela.
              > http://www.ucla.edu.ve/dmedicin/postgrado/astro/

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Stef Cancelli
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
                Thanks Pete, that's all I needed to know. I'll order one today.

                Stef.

              • plalbrecht
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
                  > The reason that I recommend that particular spanner wrench is that
                  > it is high quality and it works very well for removing the inner
                  > clutch plate. I use it myself. Personally. To remove or to
                  > tighten inner clutch plates. (A surprising number of them have not
                  > been properly tightened - which is why this is one of the inspection
                  > items in the EZ Clutch kit checklist).
                  >
                  > The spanner may go in at an angle, but it engages and it works.
                  >
                  > Nuff said.

                  Good enough. Like I said, I thought it would be odd for you to
                  recommend a specific tool, that then doesn't fit.

                  And it's a many times better solution than the
                  nail/screw/bolt-that-sorta-fits ideas.

                  Now he just needs to find a source in Canada.

                  (Another) Pete