Re: [LX200GPS] Re: Cleaning inside of corrector plate

  • James
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2004
      Thad,
      Doing the search on Goggle, I was able to come up with the
      message you were referring to by a person GazerJim listed in Austin, Texas.
      If you check my Long/Lat. posted by my name on the forum you will quickly
      see I am located on the EAST COAST. I hope you realize that out of 300
      million people there might just be another Jim Fisher out there that likes
      telescopes. The Devil is in the details......... but my location has always
      been listed. Just trying to keep things accurate and let the folks know you
      did not make up the information you posted.......you just made a mistake
      when attributing them to me. Mystery solved.

      Jim Fisher
      8" LX200GPS UHTC
      ETX-90mm Guider- Stella Cam EX
      Supercharged by ASO #2365-2008
      http://www.pbase.com/blackbeard350/astro_images
      76'36.28' W 39'09.27' N
    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
        ".....Waste of bandwidth...."
        I believe that this last line pretty well sums up not just the latitude and longitude thing, but the entire evolution of this thread. My goodness....
        This started out as, so many of our posts do, an honest inquiry about cleaning optics from someone who needed to know. Honestly, it is going to get to the point that many newcomers will turn their backs on this group for the arrogance and attitudes that are conveyed here. Why in the world does virtually every post have to end up like this lately?

        If you have not noticed, the full moon has passed already.

        Dr. Clay
        --------------------
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        Harvard MPC H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
        Harvard MPC H43 (Conway)
        Harvard MPC H44 (Cascade Mountain)
        http://www.arksky.org/

        NOTE that all ASO outgoing mail is protected by McAfee, Zone Alarm and tcworks.net security
        and is certified Virus and Spam-free

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
          Thank you Dr. Clay!

          I feel my most recent post didn't get heard because of all the
          fireworks going off. I'm referring to Message 66080.

          I don't mean to p*** anyone off by saying this but this forum
          represents an awful lot of knowledge and experience each of you
          have, which unfortunately becomes ineffective and useless because of
          petty bickering. My God, if I thought my inquiry was going to
          generate this much posturing I wouldn't have posted it!

          So if I can boil down the essence of what I've picked out of all the

          1. Don't remove the corrector plate and clean it unless there are
          some really bad things in there. But certainly not if there is just
          dust.

          2. If you take the corrector off, be very careful of what solution
          is used to clean it. Don't use anything that could scratch the
          coatings.

          3. Do so at your own risk.

          Now, back to Message 66080. Where can I find details about what to
          watch out for when taking the corrector off? Any special tools
          needed?

          Thanks again!

          Dale Chamberlain

          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@t...>

        • shodon@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
            > AMEN!

            Earl Harding
            Charlotte, NC

            > From: "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...>
            > Date: 2004/12/01 Wed AM 04:30:17 EST
            > To: <LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: Re: [LX200GPS] Re: Cleaning inside of corrector plate

          • telescoper2000
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
              Now, Dale, never let good intentions get in the way of a good flame
              war!
              Seriously, as silly and sarcastic as this exchange has been at
              points, I have to say that this group has the most civilized and
              restrained flame wars of any group I hang out on. Some other groups
              would have long since descended into graphic descriptions of each
              other's sexual deviancy, questionable lineage, etc.
              When you guys argue, at least you do it like adults! (Well, sort of.)
              - Rick

              --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Chamberlain" <dale@d...>
              wrote:

              > Thanks to everyone who responded!
              >
              > I certainly didn't expect to get a major debate from this
              > question! :-)
            • Rob
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004

                > Now, back to Message 66080. Where can I find details about what to
                > watch out for when taking the corrector off? Any special tools
                > needed?

                Hi Dale, I'll try to help with this. I seem to recall a fairly
                detailed discussion of this a while ago. Going (tediously) back
                through the message archive I found two posts which may help, 56769
                and 54304. Both from Dr. Clay regarding removal and reassembly of
                the corrector.

                There may be other message threads from last year on this; I got
                tired of hitting "next".

                - Rob
              • Rob
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004

                  > Now, back to Message 66080. Where can I find details about what to
                  > watch out for when taking the corrector off? Any special tools
                  > needed?
                  >
                  > Thanks again!
                  >
                  > Dale Chamberlain

                  Here's another discussion from a website that's pretty detailed. I
                  won't vouch for the quality, though, since the source is unknown to
                  me.

                  http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/lx_corre.htm

                  Good luck,
                  Rob
                • Dale Chamberlain
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 1, 2004
                    Rob,

                    Thanks a bunch. I think this will help tremendously!

                    Dale