Re: [LX200GPS] Orion Ultra block is on sale again

  • divenuts
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 5:56 AM
      Hi all, one quick question. How does the Orion filter compare to the Astronomik UHC filter? I have the UHC filter and I would hate to duplicate.

      Thanks,
      Chuck/divenuts
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 7:26 AM
        Sorry, I don't have that one to compare with.

        At 08:56 AM 8/1/2004, you wrote:

        >Hi all, one quick question. How does the Orion filter compare to the
        >Astronomik UHC filter? I have the UHC filter and I would hate to duplicate.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Chuck/divenuts

      • Matt Taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1 10:08 AM
          I have the Orion Ultrblock. It's a good filter to use on some nebulas BUT it makes everything bluegreen in color. Is there not a UHC or LPR type filter that works well & does not change the colors of objects?? Also, here's something I don't understand...... the filter specs says it cuts street lights & other types of light polution/skyglow but when I look through the filter at a street light I can still see it.... it there not a filter that truely blocks street lights, or am I stuck with the BB Gun from the second floor window method of LPR??

          Matt

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1 3:31 PM
            >>Also, here's something I
            don't understand...... the filter specs says it cuts street lights &
            other types of light polution/skyglow but when I look through the
            filter at a street light I can still see it...

            There are two components to the spectra of high-pressure sodium vapor
            streetlights, if that's what you have -- a bright-line emission
            spectrum and a continuous spectrum. A band filter such as the UHC and
            light pollution filters etc. has some hope of knocking out the parts
            of the spectrum that contain the bright lines, but there's no way to
            eliminate the continuum without also eliminating whatever you want to
            see.

            See the International Dark Sky Association's spectra of various light
            sources at
            http://www.darksky.org/images/slide-set-e.html
            Slide #11. Now, if your area had low-pressure sodium (slide #12), a
            filter would be more effective.

            Be glad the filter you have eliminates some of the sodium emissions.

            Pete
          • telescoper2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5 9:12 AM
              Matt,
              Someone has used a laser pointer or level, trained on the photocell
              of the streetlight, to shut it off at will. You might want to try
              that before resorting to the BB gun.

              Or else hire a kid with a BB gun. ("I have no idea what he's talking
              about, Officer").