Re: [LX200GPS] 12v Rechargeable battery/DewCap

  • José Luis Cuéllar Cuevas
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2002
      I have a Rechargeable Sealed Battery of 12V at 12Ah for my 10" SCT GPS and
      it works great for about 6 hours. Go to this link to learn more about this
      batteries: www.power-sonic.com
      Hope it helps,
      P. Cuéllar

      >From: "do9man2002" <fuzdog92@...>
      >To: LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [LX200GPS] 12v Rechargeable battery/DewCap
      >Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 05:36:18 -0000
      >
      >To all you seasoned SCT owners. Can you help a new
      >12"lx200gps owner. Looking for a 12v rechargeable battery
      >system without spending a fortune. Also a good DewCap.
      >Any suggestions. Would respect your opinions.
      >
      >Don

      Descargue GRATUITAMENTE MSN Explorer en
      http://explorer.yupimsn.com/intl.asp.
    • Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2002
        Don - the BEST system on the market for the buck is Wal Mart's "EverStart" battery pack, made for jump starting cars, but is rechargeable, has a DC outlet and two pole clips and lasts a lifetime. I have two that I have run to death over the past two years and they are terrific; I can run an STV, the scope and a laptop off one unit for about 8 hours and then simply recharge the next 24 hours to peak capacity.

        Dr. Clay

        To all you seasoned SCT owners. Can you help a new
        12"lx200gps owner. Looking for a 12v rechargeable battery
        system without spending a fortune. Also a good DewCap.
        Any suggestions. Would respect your opinions.

        Don

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • armullis
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2002
          Amen! Any boater or Sportmans store should have these type batteries
          also. I bought my first sealed battery at "Boaters World" in Florida,
          17amp 12VDC battery with 2 DC outlets, on sale for $49. The second
          battery I have I got at Wal-Mart for $69, same specs as the first.
          Then go to Radio Shack and get the following DC power cord;

          # 270-1594, $9.99, lighted on/off rocker switch, 2amp fast blow fuse
          inside.

          Also, buy a 2.5 amp fast blow fuse and replace the 2amp inside the
          cord with the 2.5amp. Reason is the LX200GPS can draw up to 2.5amps.
          The #607 Meade DC power cord does not have a fuse in it and is not
          recommended.

          With a 17amp 12VDC sealed battery and the DC power cord above,
          your "telescope investment" is well protected against a potential
          disaster.

          Dew Cap: I use the Orion Flexshield (www.telescope.com)for my 10"
          LX200GPS. It was on sale for about $37 when I bought it. It lays flat
          when not on the scope, easy to pack and transport. I like it!

          Good luck!

          Art

          --- In LX200GPS@y..., "Clay Sherrod" <sherrodc@i...> wrote:
          > Don - the BEST system on the market for the buck is Wal
          Mart's "EverStart" battery pack, made for jump starting cars, but is
          rechargeable, has a DC outlet and two pole clips and lasts a
          lifetime. I have two that I have run to death over the past two
          years and they are terrific; I can run an STV, the scope and a laptop
          off one unit for about 8 hours and then simply recharge the next 24
          hours to peak capacity.

          > Dr. Clay

          Service.

        • Roger Zellmer
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2002
            Wall mart has a 12 AH one with 2 cig lighter type outlets, charger, and
            indicator, for about $60 which has worked great for me. Will run the
            telescope 3-5 nights. Its in the automotive section. I haven't tried my
            dew system on it yet. I use a flexi shield dew cap that is not pretty but
            it works.

            Roger Zellmer
            San Diego
            rzellmer@...

            To all you seasoned SCT owners. Can you help a new
            12"lx200gps owner. Looking for a 12v rechargeable battery
            system without spending a fortune. Also a good DewCap.
            Any suggestions. Would respect your opinions.

            Don

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17050636
            97:HM/A=1061772/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211
            /2458684356>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • sa_chiz
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2002
              Don:

              I concur on the Wal-Mart model. I've got the EverStart Max 18 a-h, 2
              DC outlets, battery strength indicator lights, built in recharger.
              For $70. I have used it to run the scope, with lots of slewing and 2-
              dew heaters, for several nights in a row of 3-4 hour sessions.

              I don't necessarily recommmend this - but I took it apart and removed
              the jumper cables and sawed off the clips on the side that they
              grasp. Saves weight & space - I usually transport it in a small
              canvas tool bag with the dew system, cords & other stuff.

              Scott.

              --- In LX200GPS@y..., "do9man2002" <fuzdog92@e...> wrote:
              > To all you seasoned SCT owners. Can you help a new
              > 12"lx200gps owner. Looking for a 12v rechargeable battery
              > system without spending a fortune. Also a good DewCap.
              > Any suggestions. Would respect your opinions.
              >
              > Don
            • Clay Sherrod
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                Actually, I thought about taking off the clamps too. However all it takes is remembering the nights on the mountain when running a dew heater off the observatory's pickup truck battery while having everything else hooked up to the EverStart.

                When the night was done, everything was put away and ready for home when - you guessed it - the truck would not start. The Kendrick had once again drained it dry.

                Even after almost 8 hours of continuous CCD/Laptop/ and endless LX 200 slews, the EverStart kicked the Sonoma off on the first start....from there on, all temptations to disconnect those jump cables have been sequestered.

                Dr. Clay

                I concur on the Wal-Mart model. I've got the EverStart Max 18 a-h, 2
                DC outlets, battery strength indicator lights, built in recharger.
                For $70. I have used it to run the scope, with lots of slewing and 2-
                dew heaters, for several nights in a row of 3-4 hour sessions.

                I don't necessarily recommmend this - but I took it apart and removed
                the jumper cables and sawed off the clips on the side that they
                grasp. Saves weight & space - I usually transport it in a small
                canvas tool bag with the dew system, cords & other stuff.

                Scott.

                --- In LX200GPS@y..., "do9man2002" <fuzdog92@e...> wrote:
                > To all you seasoned SCT owners. Can you help a new
                > 12"lx200gps owner. Looking for a 12v rechargeable battery
                > system without spending a fortune. Also a good DewCap.
                > Any suggestions. Would respect your opinions.
                >
                > Don

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Buck Harley
                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                  Now I see were you went wrong Doc. (Sonoma )
                  Should have been a Dakota....LOL..
                  Buck
                  > Actually, I thought about taking off the clamps too. However all it takes
                  is remembering the nights on the mountain when running a dew heater off the
                  observatory's pickup truck battery while having everything else hooked up to
                  the EverStart.

                  > When the night was done, everything was put away and ready for home when -
                  you guessed it - the truck would not start. The Kendrick had once again
                  drained it dry.

                  > Even after almost 8 hours of continuous CCD/Laptop/ and endless LX 200
                  slews, the EverStart kicked the Sonoma off on the first start....from there
                  on, all temptations to disconnect those jump cables have been sequestered.

                  > Dr. Clay

                • utahgunsmith84654
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                    Maybe it is over kill, but I bought a xpower 600 unit from Sam's
                    club. It has a buit in inverter 600 watts continuse 1200 surge. It
                    is on wheels. A week ago we had a storm knock out power all over
                    the area, I pulled this in and had all I needed.

                    Bill at Inkleys in SLC put me on to this because he really liked
                    the fact that it is keep always plugged in and always at full charge
                    until needed. It can be rechared from 12 volts as well.

                    This is the only subject I felt like I have been somewhat up with
                    the rest of the group.

                    Cost was about $139.00.
                    Wayne-

                    -- In LX200GPS@y..., "Clay Sherrod" <sherrodc@i...> wrote:
                    > Actually, I thought about taking off the clamps too. However all
                    it takes is remembering the nights on the mountain when running a
                    dew heater off the observatory's pickup truck battery while having
                    everything else hooked up to the EverStart.

                    > When the night was done, everything was put away and ready for
                    home when - you guessed it - the truck would not start. The
                    Kendrick had once again drained it dry.

                    > Even after almost 8 hours of continuous CCD/Laptop/ and endless LX
                    200 slews, the EverStart kicked the Sonoma off on the first
                    start....from there on, all temptations to disconnect those jump
                    cables have been sequestered.

                    > Dr. Clay

                    Service.

                  • sa_chiz
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                      Dr. Clay:

                      Great story. I'll remember that when I go star-gazing in the outback.
                      Actually, I have a second one of these jumpstarters that I use for
                      back-up power when we lose the power at our house. Runs a couple of
                      lamps, etc. so our daughter isn't so afraid. I left the jumper
                      cables on that one - you never know.

                      Scott. (Still waiting for the rain to stop & a clear night.)

                      --- In LX200GPS@y..., "Clay Sherrod" <sherrodc@i...> wrote:
                      > Actually, I thought about taking off the clamps too. However all
                      it takes is remembering the nights on the mountain when running a dew
                      heater off the observatory's pickup truck battery while having
                      everything else hooked up to the EverStart.

                      > When the night was done, everything was put away and ready for home
                      when - you guessed it - the truck would not start. The Kendrick had
                      once again drained it dry.

                      > Even after almost 8 hours of continuous CCD/Laptop/ and endless LX
                      200 slews, the EverStart kicked the Sonoma off on the first
                      start....from there on, all temptations to disconnect those jump
                      cables have been sequestered.

                      > Dr. Clay

                      Service.

                    • andrea moser
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                        Does anyone know if the 2" diagonal supplied with a 12" gets the UHTC
                        coating on it?

                      • Buck Harley
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2002
                          Not yet I do not think ..