SMT explanation

  • itecvu
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
      I leave in Italy and here is not again clear what is it the SMT
      upgrade for the LX200 GPS scope.
      Is it only a peace of software to upload in the Autostar II like the
      firmware ?
      If yes Meade give a CD ROM or somting like that to upload the SMT in
      the Autostar II ?
      Or is it composed of some peace of hardware ?
      The Meade daelers in Italy dosen't know nothing about it, so Help
      ME !

      Thanks
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "itecvu" <luca.anelli@c...> wrote:
        > I leave in Italy and here is not again clear what is it the SMT
        > upgrade for the LX200 GPS scope.
        > Is it only a peace of software to upload in the Autostar II like the
        > firmware ?

        YES.

        > If yes Meade give a CD ROM or somting like that to upload the SMT in
        > the Autostar II ?

        YES.

        > Or is it composed of some peace of hardware ?

        NO.

        > The Meade daelers in Italy dosen't know nothing about it, so Help
        > ME !

        Confusion also exists here in the USA.

        > Thanks

        You asked good, clear questions which go to the heart of the product.

        have fun
        --dick
      • plalbrecht
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "itecvu" <luca.anelli@c...> wrote:
          > I leave in Italy and here is not again clear what is it the SMT
          > upgrade for the LX200 GPS scope.
          > Is it only a peace of software to upload in the Autostar II like the
          > firmware ?
          > If yes Meade give a CD ROM or somting like that to upload the SMT in
          > the Autostar II ?
          > Or is it composed of some peace of hardware ?
          > The Meade daelers in Italy dosen't know nothing about it, so Help
          > ME !

          These are legitimate questions and in principle they're not that
          difficult to answer for the man. We in the USA only know about this
          because it appeared in Meade's advertising, and is standard on the
          newest scopes. Meade has an explanation of SMT on their web site:
          http://www.meade.com/catalog/autostar/smartmount.html I talked to
          their customer service dept., who confirmed how to get it for older
          scopes.

          Unfortunately for users outside the USA, that web page says "Outside
          of the United States, check for pricing and availability of Smart
          Mount software from your local authorized Meade International
          Distributor." It may be worth your while to send Meade USA an e-mail
          asking if they can take care of you overseas. It may take a while for
          SMT to reach the overseas distributors, which is why they know nothing
          as yet.

          SMT is "Smart Mount Technology." If you are familiar with programs
          like Tpoint
          http://www.tpsoft.demon.co.uk/
          and MaxPoint
          http://www.cyanogen.com/products/maxpoint/
          this is basically the same thing.

          In fact if you want to try fooling around with this idea for free, for
          30 days, you can download MaxPoint and play with it for that long
          before you have to pay $150. MaxPoint should work with any
          "planetarium" software including the freeware Cartes du Ciel; you put
          Maxpoint "between" the planetarium software and your telescope. Or you
          can buy Meade's SMT for $99.95 (which does not require planetarium
          software -- that's probably the key difference, SMT resides entirely
          in your telescope). It would be interesting to compare the two. Yes, I
          know, Meade makes users agree not to do that. Good luck, Meade... A
          few days ago steve1000oaksca wrote "They also don't seem to want
          anyone to publish tests on their Software: "You shall not disclose
          the results of any benchmark test that you make of the Software to
          any third parties without Meade Instruments' prior written consent."
          Hah. Anybody want to start a betting pool for how long before Sky &
          Telescope or Astronomy Magazine do a comparison test?

          You point the telescope at a large number of stars around the sky,
          center the star, and the software "learns" your telescope's mechanical
          and optical deflections etc. The idea is that it then applies a
          correction to give you better pointing accuracy all over the sky.

          In the USA, customers can call Meade, give them a credit card number
          and their telescope's LONG serial number (as displayed by the
          handbox), and Meade will ship a CD-ROM which will install on that
          serial numbered telescope only.

          My scope is at Meade for some minor work before the warranty expires
          (easy for me, they're 10 minutes away). I asked them to install SMT
          while they have it, and hopefully give me a CD-ROM as backup.

          Pete