Mars tonight

  • dannysperry
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 12:22 AM
      I took a look at Mars tonight after not seeing it for about a month
      and... what a difference! It looks much larger and the
      surface/atmospheric detail was amazing. There was an hourglass
      shaped bluish-gray area right in the middle of the planet... very
      impressive.

      Sorry to say I wasn't able to take any images of it tonight bue
      here's an image I took at the end of June:

      http://www.meadelx200gps.com/photos/experimental/mars_06262003.jpg

      I hope to have some newer images soon now that I have my scope back
      and all of the necessary adapters to make my camera and scope work
      with the new laptop. I'll be sure to post the results!

      Best,
      Danny
      http://www.meadelx200gps.com
    • Bob Lautner
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 12:55 AM
        Keep em coming Danny.

        I enjoy your images.

        You have got me off my duff. I'm taking my little mak out and take a
        quick look at the "angry red planet."

        Bob L

        > I took a look at Mars tonight after not seeing it for about a month
        > and... what a difference! It looks much larger and the
        > surface/atmospheric detail was amazing. There was an hourglass
        > shaped bluish-gray area right in the middle of the planet... very
        > impressive.
        >
        > Sorry to say I wasn't able to take any images of it tonight bue
        > here's an image I took at the end of June:
        >
        > http://www.meadelx200gps.com/photos/experimental/mars_06262003.jpg
        >
        > I hope to have some newer images soon now that I have my scope back
        > and all of the necessary adapters to make my camera and scope work
        > with the new laptop. I'll be sure to post the results!
        >
        > Best,
        > Danny
        > http://www.meadelx200gps.com
      • Bob Lautner
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1 2:26 AM
          Danny,

          I saw the dark area right in the middle of the planet that you
          described as shaped like an hourglass. I can see how you would
          describe it as hourglass shaped. It was a little more on the greenish
          side rather than blue, for me. That is probably just due to the
          different optics. Lets see, you would be viewing it closer to the
          horizon than me so you might be seeing some effects of atmospheric
          refraction. Mars was right close to zenith when I was viewing.

          Seeing was the same (poor, 5/10) tonight as the last time I took a
          look, which was, I believe Friday before last. The planet is
          noticeably larger. Much more so than I ever would have thought! I
          could not see any sign of the smaller (Northern) polar cap tonight.
          Could that mean it has melted that much in the last ten days? Maybe it
          is due to my using the 5" mac instead of the 8" Meade. I didn't use
          any filters tonight either. Last time I viewed, I used a blue filter
          to bring out the polar caps and it did make a very noticeable
          difference.

          Well it was worth battling the skeeters to get a good look!

          Ganight all.

          Bob L