Re: Photo posted

  • dkeus31
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi Daniel,
      your Jupiter photo is also very nice.
      I put just a composite picture of 3 shots taken in March, on 13th,
      15th and 18th.
      You can see them in the photo section , Didier.
      I've started with imaging this year, with my 10" scope (working well
      almost every time). I use a web-cam and when sky is good, a powermate.

      Didier
      10" LX200 GPS UHTC (06/2002)
      giant field tripod
      alt az
      firmware 1.5c
      www.groupeastronomiespa.be

      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "danieldgj" <danieldgj@y...> wrote:
      > Nice shot. Take a look at my Jupiter photo in the Daniel Johnson
      > photos folder. The version I have on my home computer is slightly
      > sharper, since Yahoo compresses the files a little.
      > My shot started out looking like yours. Then I averaged it with
      > about 7 more in Adobe Photoshop. I also threw out several others
      > that weren't good enough to average in.

    • Bob Hodges
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
        Forgive me, but I've always been interested in the possibility of CCD
        imaging, and I can't tell you how nice it's been to read these postings on
        the subject. Great "how-to" info, thanks much. :-)

        I have a copy of PhotoShop, but it's older, version 4 I think. It's the
        full version and on 2 CD's, and I've had it since about 1998 or so and never
        used it. I don't have it loaded up right now, but does anyone know if this
        version will be able to do the layering that you guys are talking about?
        I'm pretty sure it will, but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone knew
        right off.

        Bob Hodges

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
          Very, very nice. Nicer still is the realization that, 20 years ago,
          no professional observatory in the world could have matched the
          pictures we make today. What software do you use?
          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "dkeus31" <dk31t5@s...> wrote:
          > Hi Daniel,
          > your Jupiter photo is also very nice.
          > I put just a composite picture of 3 shots taken in March, on 13th,
          > 15th and 18th.
          > You can see them in the photo section , Didier.
          > I've started with imaging this year, with my 10" scope (working
          well
          > almost every time). I use a web-cam and when sky is good, a
          powermate.

          > Didier
          > 10" LX200 GPS UHTC (06/2002)
          > giant field tripod
          > alt az
          > firmware 1.5c
          > www.groupeastronomiespa.be
          >

          > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "danieldgj" <danieldgj@y...> wrote:
          > > Nice shot. Take a look at my Jupiter photo in the Daniel Johnson
          > > photos folder. The version I have on my home computer is
          slightly
          > > sharper, since Yahoo compresses the files a little.
          > > My shot started out looking like yours. Then I averaged it
          with
          > > about 7 more in Adobe Photoshop. I also threw out several others
          > > that weren't good enough to average in.

        • danieldgj
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2003
            I'm using Photoshop 6.0 myself and don't know for certain what 4.0
            will do, but I'm betting you can layer images in it. If you've
            upgraded to a newer version of Windows, I hope it runs with the newer
            version.
            OK, now for a few more pointers. Getting the planet's brightness
            right can be a challenge. To check on how you're doing, select the
            planet and only a tiny amount of surrounding sky, then click Image,
            Adjust, Levels. The resulting histogram should show a wide range of
            brightness, without clipping at the upper end (overexposure) and
            without all the brightness levels being crowded into the bottom half
            (underexposure). A smaller image in your camera allows brief
            exposures to be brighter, but if Jupiter's disk falls below about 100
            to 150 pixels wide on your original shot, you're not capturing all
            the detail you can (Jupiter is about 50 arcseconds across, and our
            scopes can capture about half-arcsecond detail). Longer exposures
            are brighter but allow atmospheric blurring. So aim for the image
            size that gives the best tradeoff between speed and brightness.
            With the Levels command you can adjust image brightness after the
            fact, and this makes a big difference, so long as you didn't start
            with badly underexposed or overexposed images. You can adjust each
            color channel independently, too.

            --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Bob Hodges <bobh@p...> wrote:
            > Forgive me, but I've always been interested in the possibility of
            CCD
            > imaging, and I can't tell you how nice it's been to read these
            postings on
            > the subject. Great "how-to" info, thanks much. :-)
            >
            > I have a copy of PhotoShop, but it's older, version 4 I think.
            It's the
            > full version and on 2 CD's, and I've had it since about 1998 or so
            and never
            > used it. I don't have it loaded up right now, but does anyone know
            if this
            > version will be able to do the layering that you guys are talking
            about?
            > I'm pretty sure it will, but I thought I'd ask just in case anyone
            knew
            > right off.
            >
            > Bob Hodges

          • dkeus31
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2, 2003
              Thank you Daniel,
              I use following software: IRIS from Christian Buil
              http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/iris/iris.htm
              Download is free.
              It convert the AVI film and choose the best pictures of the film to
              combine them. You have just to say how much pictures do you want IRIS
              to choose (usually I take 10% of the pics and IRIS choose the 10%
              bests).
              After that, some little treatment (like unsharp mask) and that's it !