Re: [LX200GPS] zoom eyepieces

  • Clay Sherrod
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      All zoom eyepieces in my opinion are "thumbs down" and I have explained this many times. There are others who like them. They are great for accessing and locking onto your alignment stars (you zoom wide to find the stars and then zoom in to center...one eyepiece!); but outside of that you will suffer compromise.

      Both Meade's and Televue's zooms are excellent, but they do suffer as a nature of design from light loss, a loss of contrast and some limiting magnitude loss because of the added lens elements and the axial collimation necessary to make the work proper. Also there is a significant reduction in field of view.

      If you plan to have only ONE eyepiece, of couse the zoom is a practical idea....however, you will find over time that have a good set of at least three basic Plossl eyepieces of good quality affords a much better viewing experience and also lends itself to photography with those eyepieces, whereas a zoom does not.

      Dr. Clay

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
        Basically I agree with these comments. When I compare the view in my
        Teleview zoom at 15mm vs. my 15mm Plossl, the Plossl edges it out.
        In addition, the zoom suffers from the problem that I have to refocus
        it any time I change the focal length my 2mm or more.

        Given all that I still use the zoom second only to my 24.5 SWA. The
        reason (and why I bought it) is eye relief. Since I have to wear
        glasses at all powers, I can not see to the edge of the FOV of the
        15, let alone higher powers. The zoom costs about the same as other
        high eye relief eyepieces, provides a full range of powers, and the
        quality is decent but not spectacular.

        In addition, it is nice sometimes to slowly increase magnification
        until I get the most I can out of an object even if I do have to
        tweak the focus 3 or 4 times.

        --- In LX200GPS@y..., "Clay Sherrod" <sherrodc@i...> wrote:
        > All zoom eyepieces in my opinion are "thumbs down" and I have
        explained this many times. There are others who like them. They are
        great for accessing and locking onto your alignment stars (you zoom
        wide to find the stars and then zoom in to center...one eyepiece!);
        but outside of that you will suffer compromise.

        > Both Meade's and Televue's zooms are excellent, but they do suffer
        as a nature of design from light loss, a loss of contrast and some
        limiting magnitude loss because of the added lens elements and the
        axial collimation necessary to make the work proper. Also there is a
        significant reduction in field of view.

        > If you plan to have only ONE eyepiece, of couse the zoom is a
        practical idea....however, you will find over time that have a good
        set of at least three basic Plossl eyepieces of good quality affords
        a much better viewing experience and also lends itself to photography
        with those eyepieces, whereas a zoom does not.

        > Dr. Clay

        Service.

      • evhwg
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2002
          we bought the vixon zoom am i wish i just bought plossls. it seems
          when viewing threw the zoom things are darker. then i throw in a
          meade 26mm plossl and everything looks clearer and brighter. thats
          my experiance with the zoom. im selling mine if anyone wants to make
          an offer.