Re: a problem...

  • autostaretx
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5 5:42 PM
      From the sounds of it, the power MOSFETs on the Dec card are shorted.
      That pretty much dead-shorts the battery power.
      That could be pulling the power down low enough to keep the Autostar from fully booting, hence the blank display on the handbox.

      BUT... the power first has to pass through the main computer board.

      There could be additional damage in terms of the voltage regulator(s) on the main and/or motor card(s) being upset, perhaps due to their filter capacitors having shorted internally.

      If you started simply swapping boards (without knowledge of electronics or how to protect and/or test the individual components) you could very well blow the good boards from the 8".

      The full schematics of an LX200gps are in this group's Files area, in the "LX200gps schematics" folder.

      You could test the power draw of the DEC and RA cards independently, you could simply *unplug* the DEC card (and then the RA) card from the main board and see if it's then willing to boot up far enough to put something on the screen. Be very very careful to not accidentally short-circuit any of the cards (by resting on metal when they're powered, for example). Be very very careful to not get any power you're playing with connected in reverse. (don't depend upon wire color codes to tell you which is positive and which is negative... Meade shuffles colors in there with wild abandon)

      Meade's estimate of "two to three weeks" does not include shipping time (assume a week on each end). People report 4 to 6 week turn-arounds, but i haven't heard a recent report (to hint if they're in the 4 or 6 end of that range).

      good luck
      --dick

      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "keithnk_m42" <keithnk@...> wrote:

      > Hello, I'm new here. I posted the following on the CN forum, but reading a bit more there, my question is probably more appropriately asked here.
      >
      > My 12" LX200 GPS has almost died, I think...
      >
      > Meade says for $450 plus $50 return shipping they'll fix anything that ails it in a 2-3wk turn around. Just want to check here if that's the price and results others have experienced? I'm tempted to send it in.
      >
      > I also have an 8" GPS scope, and I'm considereng if I can figure out what's wrong with the 12" by swaping boards, motors, cables, keypad. Just wondering you opinion of, and if there's a prefered method of doinng this so I don't blow the good stuff too.
      >
      > Here's the situation so far.
      > When I turn it on, the panel light comes on, the hand controller does an anemic beep and lights up but stays blank, and that's as far as it goes. On one try it briefly tried to move a motor and blew the incoming pwr fuse. Dissassembly and close inspection reveals nothing apparently burnt or broken on any of the boards. The one obvious problem so far is that the dec motor has almost run tight. Further checking revealed the problem is not in any of the gearing, but in the motor itself. from the nature of the tightness, I'm all but certain I at least need a new dec motor.
      >
      > Any suggestions on what you would do would be appreciated.
      >
      > Keith (Ettu)
      > W90N45
      > http://www.willowberry.net/keithnk_m42/

    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5 5:45 PM
        > The one obvious problem so far is that the dec motor has almost
        > run tight. Further checking revealed the problem is not in any of
        > the gearing, but in the motor itself. from the nature of the
        > tightness, I'm all but certain I at least need a new dec motor.

        The motor could have damaged the MOSFETs by drawing enough current to exceed their 3 amp rating.

        I don't recall if anyone has come up with an "exact replacement" motor spec (which will either have a gear head on one end, and the extra shaft on the other for mounting the encoder).

        good luck
        --dick
      • certhp80
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5 6:21 PM
          Keith

          My 8 inch had a dec runaway problem about 5 years ago and I sent it to Meade for repair. Took about 6 weeks and cost $450 plus shipping back then. They fixed the problem, turned on SMT, cleaned the corrector beautifully, and collimated the optics. I was very pleased with their work. That's one data point for you.

          Good luck!
          Jeff

          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "keithnk_m42" <keithnk@...> wrote:

          > Hello, I'm new here. I posted the following on the CN forum, but reading a bit more there, my question is probably more appropriately asked here.
          >
          > My 12" LX200 GPS has almost died, I think...
          >
          > Meade says for $450 plus $50 return shipping they'll fix anything that ails it in a 2-3wk turn around. Just want to check here if that's the price and results others have experienced? I'm tempted to send it in.
          >
          > I also have an 8" GPS scope, and I'm considereng if I can figure out what's wrong with the 12" by swaping boards, motors, cables, keypad. Just wondering you opinion of, and if there's a prefered method of doinng this so I don't blow the good stuff too.
          >
          > Here's the situation so far.
          > When I turn it on, the panel light comes on, the hand controller does an anemic beep and lights up but stays blank, and that's as far as it goes. On one try it briefly tried to move a motor and blew the incoming pwr fuse. Dissassembly and close inspection reveals nothing apparently burnt or broken on any of the boards. The one obvious problem so far is that the dec motor has almost run tight. Further checking revealed the problem is not in any of the gearing, but in the motor itself. from the nature of the tightness, I'm all but certain I at least need a new dec motor.
          >
          > Any suggestions on what you would do would be appreciated.
          >
          > Keith (Ettu)
          > W90N45
          > http://www.willowberry.net/keithnk_m42/

        • Brian Straight
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5 6:28 PM
            My 14 inch RA drive fell apart almost 2 years ago. I shipped it back to Meade under warranty. Repairs took 6 weeks and the scope was returned fixed, cleaned, and collimated. Shipping on the 14 was expensive, but I was pleased with the results.

            Best,

            Brian

            Sent from my iPad
          • David Nagel
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5 6:48 PM
              Keith:
              The last time I had to have my 10" GPS repaired that was the charge plus shipping to them. That cost me almost $100 from the Chicago area. Work was good and included a complete checkout, repair and alignment.

              Dave Nagel
              LX200GPS SMT UHTC 10" Wireless

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6 5:30 AM
                Thank you very much for the quick and very helpful info. To learn a bit more about these scopes, I'm going to do some judicious part swaping and testing today.

                A little on line investigation has indicated a used Meade motor, if you can find one, is probably going to cost me $200-#300. The trick otherwise of course is to find one with the proper built in encoder and compatible plug.

                Hopefully today I'll find out if there are bad boards too, which will help determine if I send it to Meade.

                Thanks again guys.

                Keith
                http://www.willowberry.net/keithnk_m42/

                --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "keithnk_m42" <keithnk@...> wrote:

                > Hello, I'm new here. I posted the following on the CN forum, but reading a bit more there, my question is probably more appropriately asked here.
                >
                > My 12" LX200 GPS has almost died, I think...
                >
                > Meade says for $450 plus $50 return shipping they'll fix anything that ails it in a 2-3wk turn around. Just want to check here if that's the price and results others have experienced? I'm tempted to send it in.
                >
                > I also have an 8" GPS scope, and I'm considereng if I can figure out what's wrong with the 12" by swaping boards, motors, cables, keypad. Just wondering you opinion of, and if there's a prefered method of doinng this so I don't blow the good stuff too.
                >
                > Here's the situation so far.
                > When I turn it on, the panel light comes on, the hand controller does an anemic beep and lights up but stays blank, and that's as far as it goes. On one try it briefly tried to move a motor and blew the incoming pwr fuse. Dissassembly and close inspection reveals nothing apparently burnt or broken on any of the boards. The one obvious problem so far is that the dec motor has almost run tight. Further checking revealed the problem is not in any of the gearing, but in the motor itself. from the nature of the tightness, I'm all but certain I at least need a new dec motor.
                >
                > Any suggestions on what you would do would be appreciated.
                >
                > Keith (Ettu)
                > W90N45
                > http://www.willowberry.net/keithnk_m42/

              • P. Clay Sherrod
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6 7:40 AM
                  Just one additional word on the repair issue....we are hearing from folks who
                  sent their scopes in 5-6 years ago.
                  The repair facility is now in Mexico and communication is next to none; I have
                  just returned a 12" RCX telescope to Meade repair that has not been repaired in
                  THREE trips to repair, being sent back each time with the focusing problem not
                  repaired and in fact other issues introduced during repair.

                  Note also that there is no one in California that you will be talking with; the
                  entire repair and service operation is now in Mexico.

                  I have had long conversations with Meade about their customer support and I am
                  hoping that things will improve and change for the sake of their customers.
                  Never send anything without sending a detailed list of everything that needs to
                  be address with the telescope and be quite specific. Ask that a supervisor look
                  at your telescope prior to return shipping (there appears to be little if any
                  actual testing of the repaired issues upon completion of the work done).

                  Dr. Clay
                  _____
                  Arkansas Sky Observatories
                  MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                  MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                  MPC H43 - Conway West
                  http://www.arksky.org/

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6 11:21 AM
                    Whew, that is not a good report Clay... I would not want to deal with more than one set of shipping charges. My repair would seem to be a pretty straight forward component replacement though. Hard to screw that up I would think.

                    I have done some board and motor swapping and testing, and discovered that the problem components are as follows: the main faceplate board, the dec motor board, and dec motor. Except that my 8" is my grab and go scope, I'm about ready to sacrifice it to get my 12" back. I'll have to check on the classified sites for anyone willing to sell components. It certainly is unfortunate that Meade seems unwilling to sell components. Seems like there would be some easy sales.

                    Thanks again guys,

                    Keith

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6 11:39 AM
                      My best advice is simple: we need to really take care of our telescopes.

                      Dr. Clay
                      _____

                    • ronhillstromb
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6 4:44 PM
                        I bought my LX200R 10 inch in July 2006. I got the 3 year extended warranty with 3-way shipping. After reading that some OTA had the hex bolts heads sheared off by assembly wrenchs torque set too high. When I checked mine one of the bolts was stripped. From July 2007 until November 2007 it went back to Meade for maintenance 4 times for the same stripped bolt.

                        On the 4th trip back and after getting one of the managers involved was a helicoil insert installed and it came back repaired. The manager checked it when it arrived and checked it before it left to come back to me. At that time you sent the Equipment to Meade in California and they trucked it down to the repair facility.

                        Each time I included a detailed description of the problem with a copy of the manual page of the Telescope picture with the stripped bolt circled and the notation "This is the bolt that is stripped."

                        I recently sent my ETX 125 PE back and except for a replaced LNT unit it came back just like I sent it in.

                        I sounds like this horror story is being replayed still yet.

                        Ron

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 6 6:08 PM
                          Sheesh....
                          That is a really sad to read about. It really does sound like a possible business oportunity for someone. It would have to be a propposal to Meade that would make them and such an individual both some money, or things just won't get any better. Which is probably why the repairs are being done in Mexico. They're willing to make less, and call it a good day.

                          Anyway, I'm writing to say I have some news. I got it working!! No, I didn't fix anything. I had recently aquired a classic minus OTA that I'd bought for spare parts. Well, I now sort of needed some spare parts. So I swapped out the GPS base with the classic version, and moved the classic's Dec motor assmbly to the GPS's arm. The arms bolt up exactly as the base castings are apparently identical, so that was no problem, but the Dec motor needed to be adapted into GPS's arm. That took some drilling, tapping, and spacing, but it wasn't real tough to do. The only problem being that the gear case of the GPS is oriented vertically, and the classic's horizontally. That means it sticks out and the plastic cover won't fit over it. But I'll rig up something to keep dust and grit out.

                          So, at this point, I have a working 12" again.

                          Thank you all for your feedback. It inspired me to try SOMETHING else before Havinng to send it off to Meade with fingers crossed.

                          Keith

                          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "ronhillstromb" <nh6wl@...> wrote:

                          > I bought my LX200R 10 inch in July 2006. I got the 3 year extended warranty with 3-way shipping. After reading that some OTA had the hex bolts heads sheared off by assembly wrenchs torque set too high. When I checked mine one of the bolts was stripped. From July 2007 until November 2007 it went back to Meade for maintenance 4 times for the same stripped bolt.
                          >
                          > On the 4th trip back and after getting one of the managers involved was a helicoil insert installed and it came back repaired. The manager checked it when it arrived and checked it before it left to come back to me. At that time you sent the Equipment to Meade in California and they trucked it down to the repair facility.
                          >
                          > Each time I included a detailed description of the problem with a copy of the manual page of the Telescope picture with the stripped bolt circled and the notation "This is the bolt that is stripped."
                          >
                          > I recently sent my ETX 125 PE back and except for a replaced LNT unit it came back just like I sent it in.
                          >
                          > I sounds like this horror story is being replayed still yet.
                          >
                          > Ron
                          >
                          > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Just one additional word on the repair issue....we are hearing from folks who
                          > > sent their scopes in 5-6 years ago.
                          > > The repair facility is now in Mexico and communication is next to none; I have
                          > > just returned a 12" RCX telescope to Meade repair that has not been repaired in
                          > > THREE trips to repair, being sent back each time with the focusing problem not
                          > > repaired and in fact other issues introduced during repair.
                          > >
                          > > Note also that there is no one in California that you will be talking with; the
                          > > entire repair and service operation is now in Mexico.
                          > >
                          > > I have had long conversations with Meade about their customer support and I am
                          > > hoping that things will improve and change for the sake of their customers.
                          > > Never send anything without sending a detailed list of everything that needs to
                          > > be address with the telescope and be quite specific. Ask that a supervisor look
                          > > at your telescope prior to return shipping (there appears to be little if any
                          > > actual testing of the repaired issues upon completion of the work done).
                          > >
                          > > Dr. Clay
                          > > _____
                          > > Arkansas Sky Observatories
                          > > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                          > > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                          > > MPC H43 - Conway West
                          > > http://www.arksky.org/

                        • paul valleli
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 8 11:21 AM
                            Keith,
                            There are quite a few of us, both employed and unemployed that would love
                            to run a repair business. Without Meade's cooperation and training
                            sessions, the business would be doomed to fail.
                            I guess they figure that if someone can afford several grand for a scope,
                            one should be able to afford a $grand$ for repairs.
                            That is not true, of course, because most of us will go as high end as we
                            can afford.
                            Starman Paul