Re: [LX200GPS] LX200 Classic Finder Mount

  • John Mahony
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
      ----- Original Message -----

      > From: James McCormac <jmccormac001@...>

      > Hi Guys,
      > I got a little Orion 50mm wide field guide scope that I want to use as an
      > additional finder with my Orion SSAG. I want to leave the normal finder on so I
      > need to mount the new scope somewhere. Are the two allen head nuts

      Nuts?

      > on the top
      > side of the tube (just in front of where I assume the mirror to be and offset
      > either side slightly from the optical axis) removable on a 12'' classic?
      > I use these same bolts on my 16''GPS to mount the counter weight bar but
      > just want to check before removing them.

      The screws/screw holes in the perimeter of the black cell in the front or rear of the OTA are there specifically for accessories, except for the ones holding the dec "saddle plates" on the sides (the parts connecting the OTA to the dec hubs).  As Doc noted, just make sure any screws you put in the holes in the rear cell aren't so long that they could hit the mirror (and remember the mirror moves when you focus).  In the front cell, those holes may be in line with the corrector plate, so again, be careful about the length.

      On larger Meade SCTs there are also some smaller screws in the ends of white (or blue) tube just before the black cells at either end (on the 16", I think there are 4- one pair in front, one in back, with each pair consisting of one on top and one on bottom).  These are "back up" screws since the cells are glued to the tube ends, but the screws are there "just in case".  These shouldn't be removed.

      -John
    • James McCormac
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
        Hi Guys,
        Thanks for the confirmation. I have now mounted the fixings for little scope. I just need to make some counter weights before using it.

        Cheers
        James

        James McCormac
        Observing Support Assistant