Re: Meade LX200 GPS 10" Motor Stalled

  • johansea
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
      Gday John

      Just been reading some of this thread.
      I understand why Meade may be reticent to sell boards,
      but in many cases, the symptoms give a very good idea
      of what is wrong, and in many cases a simple board swap
      will fix it, and it's not rocket science.
      Why they dont have "approved" repairers across the states
      who can do very simple tests and swaps leaves me bewildered.

      Ie Based on

      > Got it all put back together now it wont go right
      > I reset the autostar II and press any of the arrows
      > and it slews up, down,left...the right arrow does nothing.

      This screams a very well know problem in the H-Bridge
      driving the motors
      ( more for ETX and LX90s, but LX200 use the same chips ).
      Standard commands to move a nominated axis are sent
      from the CPU card to the motor card.
      The commands are identical except left uses a
      different sign to right.
      Thus, if left works and right doesnt, the problem is
      99% sure to be in the motor card, and based on old history
      it will be one channel in the P Channel Mosfet supply
      feeding the motor has burnt out.
      Again easy to test for with the correct gear.
      Maybe a lot of users wont be comfortable to do these tests
      themselves, but its not a job that requires
      sending everthing back every time it happens.

      Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "bm6701" <bm6701@...> wrote:

      > I recently had a board and motor go bad, got a new motor from a highly recommended repair man from here and he fixed the board.
      >
      > Got it all put back together now it wont go right since it wont go right it will always say "motor stalled" when searching or finding home.
      >
      > I reset the autostar II and press any of the arrows and it slews up, down, left...the right arrow does nothing.
      >
      > I have version 4.2g and got the USB cable RS232 adapter well thats another issue cant get laptop to read the driver. Was thinking if I upload the newer software maybe that would fix it?
      >
      > Ok HELP ME!!! I have so many hours trying to get this to work I finally did a search and Joined today. Praying for some answers!
      >
      > Thanks
      > John
      > Nebraska
      >
      > PS: im a beginner first scope only used it about 2 nights before it acted up 5 months ago, but i finally got my parts back a week ago.

    • bm6701
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 1, 2013
        Ldb

        Do you have the board underneath the mount?

        thanks
        john

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
          Hello John

          I am going to put the spare mount to use with a video camera and a very wide angle lens. I will be keeping all the spare parts I have to support the two mounts I'm using. Sorry, nothing for sale.

          Post a new message on this group. Perhaps someone here will help you find the part you need. There is at least one person that does board repairs. I'm sure someone will give you name(s).

          It wouldn't hurt to try Meade. If you you are persistent enough or as someone else put it "Ask in just the right way" they may sell you a part.

          Here's a site that may be able to help you

          http://astronomy-mall.com/astro.parts.outlet/

          Good luck

          LdB

          In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, bm6701 <bm6701@...> wrote:

          > Ldb
          >
          > Do you have the board underneath the mount?
          >
          > thanks
          > john
          >

          > ________________________________

        • steve
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 2, 2013
            I don't jump in very often, but I had to go on the record on this one. The
            logic that Meade's policy makes is nonexistent. Most companies that
            manufacture a product face return issues but put in place standards that
            help protect them. Just arbitrarily dictating that all equipment be shipped
            back to them (in particularly something as heavy and cumbersome as an
            expensive scope) is a moronic solution and should not be accepted by
            consumers (Us). While they do have the right to do this, we have the option
            of purchasing from other companies that are more reasonable. which is
            exactly what I am going to do. In addition to the fore mentioned thoughts,
            I am insulted by Meade's assumption that I am not qualified to install a
            PCB! Which by the way I have done after removing the board in the course of
            normal maintenance.

            We should bombard them with communications, letting them know that we are
            not just sheep and that they are certainly not our sheppards! .

            Steve Vaisey
            Tampa, FL