Re: Stellarium fails to stew telescope

  • bearnardos
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2012
      Sorry Guys,

      I'm using Vista and didn't think about the different directory structures. You will only see the log file if you have switched on logging. To do this you have to check a setting in telescope setup. Go to the options tab and select "Log telescope drive messages to file"

      Jim

      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

      > Mine is showing up in the folder under Start > All Programs > Stellarium itself (but i'm in Win 7).
      >
      > The "\users\name\AppData" is the path for Window 7
      >
      > If you start Stellarium and bring up its HELP window,
      > there's a LOG tab... and the top line of that display
      > tells you the path to the log files.
      >
      > good luck
      > --dick
      >
      > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "masa.nagaya" <masa.nagaya@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Jim,
      > >
      > > Mine is XP and can't find C:\users\name\AppData\roaming\stellarium.
      > > I search all C: drive but no Log_TelescopeServer.txt either.
      > > Does anyone know the location and name of Stellarium Telescope message log file for Windows XP ?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Masa
      > >
      > > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "bearnardos" <jim@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Masa
      > > >
      > > > By "Meade Software" I mean the Autostar Suite. If you try to slew to an object that's below the horizon, there is a pop up screen error message saying " Communication Error: LX200 Error 49 1 Object below horizon"
      > > >
      > > > Stellarium does not have such an error message. If you try to slow to an object that's conceived by the scope to be below the horizon, it just doesn't move. There is a comms diagnostic tool which logs all comms messages between Stellarium and the telescope. You have to check a setting in telescope setup. Go to the options tab and select "Log telescope drive messages to file". You will find a text file in the following windows directory: "C:\users\name\AppData\roaming\stellarium\Log_TelescopeServer.txt". The most recent entry is on the first line of this text file. I didn't actually work out where the message is yet, I'll keep looking and let you know.
      > > >
      > > > Fundamentally the problem is that Stellarium does not report an error but if it fails to slew, you could use Autostar Suite to check the setup.
      > > >
      > > > Jim

    • Ivan Petiteville
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi Masa,

        I am using Windows 7 (not XP anymore) but I see that on my OS, the
        directory "C:\users\name\AppData" is not visible if the option "*Show
        hidden files, folders, or drives*" is not checked (from any MS Explorer
        window, open *Tools*--> *Folder Options* --> *View *tab then go down the
        list to "*Hidden files and folders*" and check .

        Ivan

        On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:51 AM, masa.nagaya <masa.nagaya@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Jim,
        >
        > Mine is XP and can't find C:\users\name\AppData\roaming\stellarium.
        > I search all C: drive but no Log_TelescopeServer.txt either.
        > Does anyone know the location and name of Stellarium Telescope message log
        > file for Windows XP ?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Masa
        >

        > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "bearnardos" <jim@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Masa
        > >
        > > By "Meade Software" I mean the Autostar Suite. If you try to slew to an
        > object that's below the horizon, there is a pop up screen error message
        > saying " Communication Error: LX200 Error 49 1 Object below horizon"
        > >
        > > Stellarium does not have such an error message. If you try to slow to an
        > object that's conceived by the scope to be below the horizon, it just
        > doesn't move. There is a comms diagnostic tool which logs all comms
        > messages between Stellarium and the telescope. You have to check a setting
        > in telescope setup. Go to the options tab and select "Log telescope drive
        > messages to file". You will find a text file in the following windows
        > directory:
        > "C:\users\name\AppData\roaming\stellarium\Log_TelescopeServer.txt". The
        > most recent entry is on the first line of this text file. I didn't actually
        > work out where the message is yet, I'll keep looking and let you know.
        > >
        > > Fundamentally the problem is that Stellarium does not report an error
        > but if it fails to slew, you could use Autostar Suite to check the setup.
        > >
        > > Jim

        *Ivan PETITEVILLE,*

        *European Space Agency (ESA)*
        Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes
        Programme Planning and Coordination Service
        Coordination Office
        address: ESA ESRIN,
        Via G.Galilei,
        CP 64
        00044 FRASCATI, Italy

        tel: +390694180567 fax : + 390694180353 cell. phone: +393351017731

        E-mail: Ivan.Petiteville@...

        Internet: http://www.esa.int

      • John R Carter Sr
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2012
          It's not supposed to be visible. It's a system file, and not intended for users to go there. Files in that path are created and accessed by applications.

          --
          John Carter