re ac supply

  • wayne
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1 8:09 AM
      would anybody recommend an ac to dc supply for the meade lx 200 gps or is battery better. If the ac supply is ok what amp rating should I look for
    • Mike Weasner
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1 8:25 AM
        I have been using this one from Scopestuff for a couple of years with my 8" LX200-ACF:

        http://scopestuff.com/ss_ps12.htm

        On Jun 1, 2012, at 08:09, wayne wrote:

        > would anybody recommend an ac to dc supply for the meade lx 200 gps or is battery better. If the ac supply is ok what amp rating should I look for

        Mike Weasner Email: mweasner@... / Twitter: mweasner
        LX200-ACF-8" ETX-125AT ETX-105PE ETX-90RA ETX-70AT PST GPOD-XL5
        Cassiopeia Observatory: http://www.weasner.com/co
      • P. Clay Sherrod
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1 8:54 AM
          Anything but the "brand names....."

          Note that you need to be using a GOOD regulated power source: the one at
          www.scopestuff.com or the 13.8 volt models from Radio Shack or Pyramid....never
          use the Meade-supplied power source not any of the "Powertank" type gimmick
          units.
          Just highly regulated and efficient power.

          Dr. Clay
          _____
          Arkansas Sky Observatories
          MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
          MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
          MPC H43 - Conway West
          http://www.arksky.org/

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1 10:55 AM
            Am I correct in that the Meade 12V power supply is not recommended by the knowledgeable folks on this group?

            EMail from Dave

            On Jun 1, 2012, at 11:54 AM, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:

            > Anything but the "brand names....."
            >
            > Note that you need to be using a GOOD regulated power source: the one at
            > www.scopestuff.com or the 13.8 volt models from Radio Shack or Pyramid....never
            > use the Meade-supplied power source not any of the "Powertank" type gimmick
            > units.
            > Just highly regulated and efficient power.
            >
            > Dr. Clay
            > _____
            > Arkansas Sky Observatories
            > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
            > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
            > MPC H43 - Conway West
            > http://www.arksky.org/

          • phillipcoker
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1 5:15 PM
              Yes.

              Phillip
              Colorado Springs

              --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Dave Endres <endresdave@...> wrote:

              > Am I correct in that the Meade 12V power supply is not recommended by the knowledgeable folks on this group?
              >
              > EMail from Dave
              >
              > On Jun 1, 2012, at 11:54 AM, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Anything but the "brand names....."
              > >
              > > Note that you need to be using a GOOD regulated power source: the one at
              > > www.scopestuff.com or the 13.8 volt models from Radio Shack or Pyramid....never
              > > use the Meade-supplied power source not any of the "Powertank" type gimmick
              > > units.
              > > Just highly regulated and efficient power.
              > >
              > > Dr. Clay
              > > _____
              > > Arkansas Sky Observatories
              > > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
              > > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
              > > MPC H43 - Conway West
              > > http://www.arksky.org/

            • John McDonnell
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2 1:37 PM
                I was wondering why the Meade 12 volt power supply is not recommended.

                John

                Yes.

                Phillip
                Colorado Springs

                --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Dave Endres <endresdave@...> wrote:

                > Am I correct in that the Meade 12V power supply is not recommended by the knowledgeable folks on this group?
                >
                > EMail from Dave
                >
                > On Jun 1, 2012, at 11:54 AM, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Anything but the "brand names....."
                > >
                > > Note that you need to be using a GOOD regulated power source: the one at
                > > www.scopestuff.com or the 13.8 volt models from Radio Shack or Pyramid....never
                > > use the Meade-supplied power source not any of the "Powertank" type gimmick
                > > units.
                > > Just highly regulated and efficient power.
                > >
                > > Dr. Clay
                > > _____
                > > Arkansas Sky Observatories
                > > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                > > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                > > MPC H43 - Conway West
                > > http://www.arksky.org/

              • Kevin Cummins
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2 3:42 PM
                  Dr. Clay:

                  I went into my local Radio Shack today to pick up one of the 13.8 volt power
                  supplies and the guy that worked there said that the current model isn't
                  regulated like the old one was.  We put a meter on it and it was putting out
                  14.461 vdc.  They both have the same catalog number.  Thought you would be
                  interested to hear about this.  I'm going to try the one at Scope Stuff if
                  Grainger or McMaster-Carr doesn't have one.

                  Kevin

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2 3:44 PM
                    The one from Scopestuff.com is just fine; actually the 14 volts would be fine
                    provided that it is regulated at that voltage; Radio Shack does not call them
                    "regulated" any longer although they indeed are; they refer to them as
                    "switching" power sources.

                    Dr. Clay
                    _____

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2 3:47 PM
                      Because the voltage is all over the place and will spike as high as 21+ volts; I
                      have not tested one that will NOT spike.

                      Dr. Clay
                      _____
                      Arkansas Sky Observatories
                      MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                      MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                      MPC H43 - Conway West
                      http://www.arksky.org/

                      >I was wondering why the Meade 12 volt power supply is not recommended.
                      >
                      > John
                      >

                      > Yes.
                      >
                      > Phillip
                      > Colorado Springs
                      >
                      > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Dave Endres <endresdave@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Am I correct in that the Meade 12V power supply is not recommended by the
                      >> knowledgeable folks on this group?
                      >>
                      >> EMail from Dave
                      >>
                      >> On Jun 1, 2012, at 11:54 AM, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > Anything but the "brand names....."
                      >> >
                      >> > Note that you need to be using a GOOD regulated power source: the one at
                      >> > www.scopestuff.com or the 13.8 volt models from Radio Shack or
                      >> > Pyramid....never
                      >> > use the Meade-supplied power source not any of the "Powertank" type gimmick
                      >> > units.
                      >> > Just highly regulated and efficient power.
                      >> >
                      >> > Dr. Clay
                      >> > _____
                      >> > Arkansas Sky Observatories
                      >> > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                      >> > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                      >> > MPC H43 - Conway West
                      >> > http://www.arksky.org/

                    • Kip Mason
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2 3:55 PM
                        Dear group,

                        Dr. Clay is right about power supplies. I got a me 3amp 13.8 volt power supply from Radio shack and my scope sounds better, it moves quietly and like its got a purpose. Thanks Doc. it's alway nice that this list has a professional around.

                        Kip Mason
                      • Kevin Cummins
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2 4:09 PM
                          OK, thanks, Dr. Clay, maybe I'll give that one a go...

                          ________________________________

                          I was wondering why the Meade 12 volt power supply is not recommended.

                          John

                          Yes.

                          Phillip
                          Colorado Springs

                          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Dave Endres <endresdave@...> wrote:

                          > Am I correct in that the Meade 12V power supply is not recommended by the
                          >knowledgeable folks on this group?
                          >

                          > EMail from Dave
                          >
                          > On Jun 1, 2012, at 11:54 AM, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Anything but the "brand names....."
                          > >
                          > > Note that you need to be using a GOOD regulated power source: the one at
                          > > www.scopestuff.com or the 13.8 volt models from Radio Shack or
                          >Pyramid....never
                          > > use the Meade-supplied power source not any of the "Powertank" type gimmick
                          > > units.
                          > > Just highly regulated and efficient power.
                          > >
                          > > Dr. Clay
                          > > _____
                          > > Arkansas Sky Observatories
                          > > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                          > > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                          > > MPC H43 - Conway West
                          > > http://www.arksky.org/

                        • John Hilliard
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2 5:15 PM
                            Hey Kevin,

                            I had seen some older Radio Shack units and gone after them but as you noted the change in the wording of the specifications, I found this as an alternative.

                            http://www.papasbargains.com/Pyramid-PS15K-10-Amp-Power-Supply-with-Cigarette-Lighter-Plug_p_20772.html

                            However, if the only item you wish to power is the scope itself...then the scopestuff power supply recommended by several others should be exactly what you need.

                            John

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2 5:23 PM
                              Thanks, John!