Re: [LX200GPS] Storing Eyepieces

  • John Mahony
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2012
      > From: apob1947 <paul.obrien@...>
      >
      > I have recently completed the purchase of a nice set of Tele Vue/Orion/Baader
      > eyepieces, powermate etc and decided to also buy a photographers carry case to
      > store them. The case is lined with a black foam rubber compound that can be hand
      > stripped to form a cavity to match the shape of each stored item.
      >
      > Should I continue to store each item wrapped in its own plastic or can I now
      > discard these covers?

      What type of plastic?  I usually discard any "plastic bag" covers since they're more trouble than they're worth.  Inside the EP case, it still helps to have the ends of EPs covered to keep out stray dust or accidental contact between lenses and foam (which may have absorbed "whatever" by then).  But on the other hand, you don't want to trap moisture in the EP or EP case, so try to avoid air-tight covers.  Plastic "bolt containers" that screw together loosely can be used, or just basic EP caps on the ends.

      > The case will be stored inside my house but it does get
      > humid where I live sometimes reaching 80%.

      If you have a lot of dew at night, the first thing to do is get in the habit of shutting the lid on the EP case every time you swap EPs.  You don't have to latch the lid- just shutting it over the other EPs in the case gives the same protection against IR radiated heat loss that dew shields provide to the front of the scope to prevent dew on the corrector- especially if the case has a shiny bare metal exterior (very low IR emissivity).

      If dew is frequent and heavy, and you have ac power available, a simple heating pad from the drug store can be dropped in the bottom of the EP case under any foam inserts to provide additional heat.  If you run off of 12V batteries, Kendrick (and probably others in the dew busting business) sell 12V heating pads for this.

      -John

      > Up until now it hasn't been a
      > problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Paul
    • Chris Strang
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2012
        I have a LX200GPS and had start-up problems if the computer is connected before the scope is turned on. My main problem is Polaris would off-set by 10 degrees. Connecting the computer after start-up solved all such problems. Does not sound right, but it works. I use the Meade wireless control and it works well. Chris
        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bowling <minador@...> wrote:

        > My scope has been put away for some time, and I'm trying to get it going.  It's an LX200GPS SMT
        >
        > I'm using a wireless autostar II running 2.0e.  I start an easy alignment, and when the scope finds the first star, I can't center the star because my slew speed is set to guide.  When I try to change the speed, it only allows 2x or max and then I can't get out of the menu.  Eventually it times out and goes to the star name.  No matter what I try, I can't get the slew speeds to change like it used to.
        >
        > I'm guessing the scope is hung up or the firmware is corrupt.
        >
        > Has anybody had this problem?  Is 4.2g the latest version I can use?  Can I upgrade to that directly, or do I have to install intermediate versions?
        >
        > On the Meade site, it looks like a lot of the orbital elements are old.  Are there any third party sites supporting this now?
        > A little history:  A long time ago, my autostar II started to act up.  I thought I had to clean the contacts, so I got a kit but the kit was bad.  I decided to wait because if other commitments.  Later I saw the wireless handbox on sale and I decided to get it and keep the old one for back up (to fix later).  When I eventually used the new box, the scope acted like it does now (and like it did when I thought the old one needed the contacts cleaned).  I've tried to research this several times, but I eventually got side tracked with other things.  I now have a house and room to work on my scope.
        > Clear skies,
        >
        > Mark B.
        > Vail, AZ

      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2012
          (whoops... my interspersed answers were written before reading the "history". Read the interspersed, but don't start sputtering until after you read what i wrote at the end)

          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bowling <minador@...> wrote:

          > My scope has been put away for some time, and I'm trying to get
          > it going.  It's an LX200GPS SMT
          >
          > I'm using a wireless autostar II running 2.0e.  I start an easy
          > alignment, and when the scope finds the first star, I can't center
          > the star because my slew speed is set to guide.  When I try to
          > change the speed, it only allows 2x or max and then I can't get
          > out of the menu.  Eventually it times out and goes to the star
          > name.  No matter what I try, I can't get the slew speeds to change
          > like it used to.

          Have you tried the *wired* handbox?
          This could be a keypad issue (after all, it *does* *change* speeds, it just doesn't notice the buttons from 2 thru 8)
          Does the *display* think it's changing speeds?

          > I'm guessing the scope is hung up or the firmware is corrupt.

          ..or the keypad has oxidized contacts during the long storage.
          (it can be disassembled and cleaned)

          > Has anybody had this problem?

          Dirty, unresponsive keys? Yes.

          > Is 4.2g the latest version I can use?

          Yes.

          >Can I upgrade to that directly, or do I have to install intermediate
          > versions?

          You can go there directly. IF you want to reload 2.0e, i may be able to find a copy.

          > On the Meade site, it looks like a lot of the orbital elements
          > are old.  Are there any third party sites supporting this now?

          Although their webpage has ancient dates, the actual *data* you fetch is fresh and current (it comes from other sites, not Meade).

          > A little history:  A long time ago, my autostar II started to act
          > up.  I thought I had to clean the contacts, so I got a kit but the
          > kit was bad.  I decided to wait because if other commitments.
          > Later I saw the wireless handbox on sale and I decided to get
          > it and keep the old one for back up (to fix later).  When I
          > eventually used the new box, the scope acted like it does now
          > (and like it did when I thought the old one needed the contacts
          > cleaned).  I've tried to research this several times, but I
          > eventually got side tracked with other things.  I now have a house
          > and room to work on my scope.

          Ooookay... the critical question is: does the DISPLAY show that it's trying to change speeds?
          IF it does, then i'd suspect the wiring to your motor cards.
          If it doesn't, then i really suspect the keypads.

          Have you tried the (almost) simplicity of a Setup/Reset to kick many of the internal variables back to a known state?
          (you'll have to re-tell it your Model, Mounting style and Site, and it'll wipe out the Training data)

          99.99% of the time that a firmware corruption happens, the Autostar *freezes* with a "Proc. Trap 2" message on the screen.
          The Meade firmware really doesn't have anything to re-rail itself if even one bit or byte gets corrupted... instant train wreck (after which you do a firmware reload via "SafeLoad")

          good luck
          --dick
        • apob1947
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2012
            --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

            > > From: apob1947 <paul.obrien@...>
            > >
            > > I have recently completed the purchase of a nice set of Tele Vue/Orion/Baader
            > > eyepieces, powermate etc and decided to also buy a photographers carry case to
            > > store them. The case is lined with a black foam rubber compound that can be hand
            > > stripped to form a cavity to match the shape of each stored item.
            > >
            > > Should I continue to store each item wrapped in its own plastic or can I now
            > > discard these covers?
            >
            > What type of plastic?  I usually discard any "plastic bag" covers since they're more trouble than they're worth.  Inside the EP case, it still helps to have the ends of EPs covered to keep out stray dust or accidental contact between lenses and foam (which may have absorbed "whatever" by then).  But on the other hand, you don't want to trap moisture in the EP or EP case, so try to avoid air-tight covers.  Plastic "bolt containers" that screw together loosely can be used, or just basic EP caps on the ends.
            >
            > > The case will be stored inside my house but it does get
            > > humid where I live sometimes reaching 80%.
            >
            > If you have a lot of dew at night, the first thing to do is get in the habit of shutting the lid on the EP case every time you swap EPs.  You don't have to latch the lid- just shutting it over the other EPs in the case gives the same protection against IR radiated heat loss that dew shields provide to the front of the scope to prevent dew on the corrector- especially if the case has a shiny bare metal exterior (very low IR emissivity).
            >
            > If dew is frequent and heavy, and you have ac power available, a simple heating pad from the drug store can be dropped in the bottom of the EP case under any foam inserts to provide additional heat.  If you run off of 12V batteries, Kendrick (and probably others in the dew busting business) sell 12V heating pads for this.
            >
            > -John
            >

            > > Up until now it hasn't been a
            > > problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > Paul

            Thanks John

            Its only a plastic bag and I intend to still leave the plastic caps over both end of the eyepiece. Thanks for the other advice as well, much appreciated.

            Paul

          • Mark Bowling
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1, 2012
              Thanks Chris.  I'll be sure to do that when I connect.
              Clear skies,
              Mark

              ________________________________
              I have a LX200GPS and had start-up problems if the computer is connected before the scope is turned on. My main problem is Polaris would off-set by 10 degrees. Connecting the computer after start-up solved all such problems. Does not sound right, but it works. I use the Meade wireless control and it works well. Chris
              --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bowling <minador@...> wrote:

              > My scope has been put away for some time, and I'm trying to get it going.  It's an LX200GPS SMT
              >
              > I'm using a wireless autostar II running 2.0e.  I start an easy alignment, and when the scope finds the first star, I can't center the star because my slew speed is set to guide.  When I try to change the speed, it only allows 2x or max and then I can't get out of the menu.  Eventually it times out and goes to the star name.  No matter what I try, I can't get the slew speeds to change like it used to.
              >
              > I'm guessing the scope is hung up or the firmware is corrupt.
              >
              > Has anybody had this problem?  Is 4.2g the latest version I can use?  Can I upgrade to that directly, or do I have to install intermediate versions?
              >
              > On the Meade site, it looks like a lot of the orbital elements are old.  Are there any third party sites supporting this now?
              > A little history:  A long time ago, my autostar II started to act up.  I thought I had to clean the contacts, so I got a kit but the kit was bad.  I decided to wait because if other commitments.  Later I saw the wireless handbox on sale and I decided to get it and keep the old one for back up (to fix later).  When I eventually used the new box, the scope acted like it does now (and like it did when I thought the old one needed the contacts cleaned).  I've tried to research this several times, but I eventually got side tracked with other things.  I now have a house and room to work on my scope.
              > Clear skies,
              >
              > Mark B.
              > Vail, AZ

            • Mark Bowling
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1, 2012
                Thanks Dick!
                I think I figured out my problem.  I was trying to change the slew speed by using the up/down arrows.  I just read that I should be using the number keys.  It's been so long since I used it regularly, I must have forgotten and just assumed the arrows would toggle the speeds...  D'oh.

                I can now get the different slew speeds by using the numbers.  I'm still testing my scope in my house, but next time I'm out, I'll give it a real test.

                You mentioned I could reinstall 2.0e.  What version should I be using?  Is 4.2g best?

                I think what I have left to do is decide what version to upgrade to, update all the object data and test it under the sky!  (And build an observatory....)

                Thanks for all the help,
                Clear skies,
                Mark

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2012
                  Until you're (again) familiar with its operation,
                  i would NOT recommend upgrading (and i certainly don't recommend a senseless reload if it ain't broke).

                  Updating object data is fine.

                  Then, after you're rolling again... read the "what's changed" of v4 over v2, and decide if you want the features.

                  For example, v4 has full three-cycle PEC for RA, correcting for the entire gear chain from motor to worm (instead of the single-cycle worm-only of v3 and earlier).
                  BUT, if you don't use PEC, that doesn't buy you anything.

                  There are still folks happily using everything from v1.2 through the one-shy-of-current. If the scope's doing what they want, there's no reason to change.

                  have fun (and keep re-reading the manual)
                  --dick

                • Dennis Skala
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2012
                    I fixed two LX200GPS scopes - an 8" and a 10", both of which had the problem
                    of Polaris being 10 degrees off by doing the calibrate sensors utility. I
                    don't think it has anything to do with wireless box.

                  • Mark Bowling
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 2, 2012
                      Thanks Dick, thanks Dennis,

                      That's great advice.  I shouldn't forget that I still have to make sure that was my problem and enjoy re-learning the scope (and re-reading the manual).  Re-learn to walk before trying to run so to speak.  I'm glad to see this group still going strong.

                      Have fun everybody!
                      Mark