Re: [LX200GPS] From a beginner with alignment problems.

  • Don Smith
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1 4:35 AM
      Hi all Thanks for all the help sofar. I have tried facing the panel to the south and starting with the scope facing north, but still after taking it's gps and searching it
      always slews clockwise, and the scope always slews upto the stops at this point i have to turn the scope off before it can cause any damage. I have changed
      the mount upper limit to 70% but does not make any differance, the two star alighnment seems fine but not sure if what it is pointing at is right,as i am still
      just new to this.

      Thanks
      Don
      UK North east

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1 9:16 AM
        Set the panel facing South, Tube level and facing North, then the
        following;

        Don follow Dick's advice, and also try setting up in the home position and
        rotating the tube clockwise to the stop, then at least one full rotation
        back counter clockwise until pointing in the home position or north. Power
        up from this point and see if you still run into the stops....

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1 9:39 AM
          I found that if I place the control panel facing south and the tube facing north, I will be in the center of the rotation. From there, if you go clockwise you will hit the stop before you reach north again and the same will happen going counter-clockwise.

          Bill H.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1 9:52 AM
            Did you try unlocking the clutch and rotating CW until hitting the stop then
            turning back CCW until the tube is facing North, then locking at powering
            up?

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1 10:40 AM
              Hi,
              I've been following the posts and thought I would add something...
              I do what these posts suggest. Panel south, telescope rotation in the center of its full range and I start with the tube facing a little off polaris north. I then power up and do auto align (press 0) - if the scope rotates only a small amount to get to true north, everything works out fine. However if the scope begins to rotate too much i.e. more than a quarther turn, I power down, adjust the tube again from my initial position a little more in the opposite direction and then try again. I repeat this until the initial rotation just after power up is only slight to get it to go to true north.

              This seems to work for me every time.
              terry

              --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill H." <shoebox2go@...> wrote:

              > I found that if I place the control panel facing south and the tube facing north, I will be in the center of the rotation. From there, if you go clockwise you will hit the stop before you reach north again and the same will happen going counter-clockwise.
              >
              > Bill H.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Bill H.
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1 11:10 AM
                When I set up in the field in az/alt, I used to rotate the tube unlocked until I found the center of the rotation (between the two hard stops) and facing north. Then I lock the clutch. In time I noticed that only the center of rotation faces north and rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise never reaches north. Now if I set up with controls facing south and the tube facing north, I don't have to check for the hard stops. I'm where I want to be and then go to an alignment.

                Bill H.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1 11:45 AM
                  Hi I have set it up panel south and set the centre of rotation set just of north, the clockwise movement or anti clockwise movement
                  always is fine. But every time it searches for the first star whatever that may be the example (CAPELLA) as the scope moves around
                  and verticaly up it is the vertical that always hits the stops and tries to keep going over. I have now been thinking about getting a
                  meade mysky plus,has anybody tried this and what do you think.

                  Thanks
                  Don

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2 11:55 AM
                    But it sounds like the stop he's hitting isn't the az stop (a common problem), but the tube is going _up_ to the zenith and hitting an alt stop.

                    -John

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2 12:23 PM
                      > From: John Hilliard <jhilliard4@...>
                      >
                      > When doing the alignment procedures it does tell you to point north and level
                      > but it never really says which way the scope base should be oriented to start
                      > with.
                      >
                      > At any rate...assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, when you set the
                      > scope up, and you stand behind the scope as if to look through the eyepiece, if
                      > you look down you should see the control panel and can read it left to
                      > right...when you look up, you as well as the OTA, should be looking at Polaris,

                      OTA should be aimed north towards Polaris, but level, not looking _up_ at Polaris.

                      -John

                    • John Mahony
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2 1:03 PM
                        > From: Don Smith <donssmith2000@...>
                        >
                        > I have now been thinking about getting a
                        > meade mysky plus,has anybody tried this and what do you think.

                        This product has been discontinued.  Back when it was in production, it was widely regarded to be very poorly made, very inferior to the similar Celestron SkyScout (which is still available).

                        If you have a smart phone, you can get an app that does the same thing (smart phones have GPS and internal level/compass needed so they can tell where they're aimed).

                        -John
                      • dandmaviation@frontier.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2 4:15 PM
                          Don,

                          From page 13 in my LX200GPS manual. I assume others are similar. It's a sidebar:

                          Tip:

                          Although you can set up the telescope to face any

                          direction to perform Automatic Alignment, you

                          will achieve optimal performance when the

                          computer control panel faces South.

                          Dave