Re: [LX200GPS] Focusing Issues

  • John Hilliard
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2011
      Hey John,

      As I noted to Richard, our mirror lock has never worked. I looked back and
      you and I discussed this a couple of years ago and you forwarded me Buck
      Harley's post on repairing the focuser knob back in October of '08. Never
      really got it to work right and never really had any focusing problems until
      this weekend...whether acquiring original focus or maintaining focus during
      the evening...other than the occasional tweak through a long
      evening...temperature change...eyepiece change...normal things.

      I'll go back to Buck's post and give it another go...and try it another
      evening or two before I make any rash decisions.

      Thanks for the note.

      John

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2011
        I think a digital focuser will hold focus pretty well, and you don't use the mirror lock with one. You might need to refocus sometimes. (I recommend getting one even though I've never been able to get mine to auto-focus correctly! But I can focus well with it.) Another advantage is that it eliminates the awful, heavy Meade Microfocuser. -- Joe

        > You said you had a thunderstorm that evening. The atmosphere was going
        > through a
        > lot of changes. Seeing conditions were probably not good and could account
        > for
        > all of your focusing difficulty.

        But he had problems on two different nights.

        > Just a guess, really.

        Forgot to lock the mirror?

        -John