Re: [LX200GPS] Re: New user looking for a 10" LX200 Trolley

  • robert layland
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
      see my idea at link http://www.astromart.com/Message #700326

      On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 3:58 PM, jacky <netens@...> wrote:

      > Photo Attached (448KB) - Click to view<javascript:openImageWindow('/images/forums/700000-700999/700326.jpg','/')>
      > Hello,
      > http://www.scopebuggy.com
      > grtz
      >

      > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com <LX200GPS%40yahoogroups.com>, Mark
      > Cantrill <mrcantrill@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings all,
      > >
      > > This is my first post, so apart froma freindly "Hello all!" a little
      > > background... After a while away from a 12" LX200 (classic) with wedge &
      > field
      > > tripod and the backache that came with it, I've recently acquired a 10"
      > LX200R
      > > and promise to use it far more than I used the last one... Life and kids
      > might
      > > prevent that but I plan to do my best...
      > >
      > > Anyway, back in the days of the 12" I spent a lot of time looking around
      > the
      > > MAPUG archives amongst others and seem to recall coming across several
      > designs
      > > for an LX200 trolley designed to ease transport and setup. This was
      > something
      > > that would allow the user to move the assembled scope & tripod around on
      > wheels.
      > >
      > > I've found one from JMI but i'm much in favour of making one, probably
      > out of
      > > wood since I have a shed full of the stuff... While I have some plans i'd
      > be
      > > interested to know if anyone's bought somethign like this, made one, used
      > one
      > > etc... I only plan to use it to bring it out of the shed, lower it onto a
      >
      > > concrete base then cart it back into the shed without breking my back!
      > >
      > > Any thoughts, ideas, links etc would be very much appreciated.
      > >
      > > Many thanks,
      > >
      > > Mark

    • Bruce MacEvoy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2010
        hey mark,

        i built a dolly out of wood myself. it doesn't hoist, merely slithers in and out
        of the garage, but it really does the job for me and is more than stable enough
        for visual work. photos and instructions are at my blog:
        http://atlascoeli.blogspot.com/2010/10/telescope-roller.html
        at the bottom of the page are links to vendors and other plans, most of which
        are modifications of hand carts and the like.

        good luck
        bruce

        ________________________________
        > This is my first post, so apart froma freindly "Hello all!" a little
        > background... After a while away from a 12" LX200 (classic) with wedge & field

        > tripod and the backache that came with it, I've recently acquired a 10" LX200R

        > and promise to use it far more than I used the last one... Life and kids might

        > prevent that but I plan to do my best...
        >
        > Anyway, back in the days of the 12" I spent a lot of time looking around the
        > MAPUG archives amongst others and seem to recall coming across several designs

        > for an LX200 trolley designed to ease transport and setup. This was something
        > that would allow the user to move the assembled scope & tripod around on
        >wheels.
        >
        > I've found one from JMI but i'm much in favour of making one, probably out of
        > wood since I have a shed full of the stuff... While I have some plans i'd be
        > interested to know if anyone's bought somethign like this, made one, used one
        > etc... I only plan to use it to bring it out of the shed, lower it onto a
        > concrete base then cart it back into the shed without breking my back!
        >
        > Any thoughts, ideas, links etc would be very much appreciated.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Mark

      • Mark Cantrill
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2010
          Thanks Bruce, Robert &Jacky)

          The Scope buggy looks a great idea, especially with the larger wheels as it
          would probably be better for what I had in mind (from shed, over rough grass and

          onto a hard-standing or patio etc.) but i've been just been given some 5"
          castors which, over the last couple of evenings, i've used to build a
          dolly very similar to yours Bruce and it works great! I'll try and post a pic
          somewhere once I find out how to...

          Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions, problem solved!

          Cheers,

          Mark
          PS I did post this reply earlier but for some reason it came out with a
          different subject heading.