What does "Solve" mean and what is it good for?

  • paizisn
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
      I keep seeing references to a "solved" image but I don't quite know what it is and what it's used for. Can someone explain?

      Nick
    • johansea
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
        Gday Nick

        A "Plate Solve" normally refers to the process of taking a picture,
        then comparing measurements of the relative brightness and distances between star images in the image against star catalogues, to try and find where in the sky the image was taken, and what orientation it is at.

        Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "paizisn" <paizisn@...> wrote:

        > I keep seeing references to a "solved" image but I don't quite know what it is and what it's used for. Can someone explain?
        >
        > Nick

      • John Mahony
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
          That's used in astrometry (precision measurement of star positions). Basically
          the stars (at least the brighter ones) in an image are "matched" to stars in a
          reference catalog. From that you can tell exactly where the scope was aimed,
          and the image scale and orientation. And from that, positions of anything else
          in the image can also be determined to high precision (for example, asteroids).
          Of course this is easiest if you already have at least an estimate for these
          variables, and then "solving" just means doing the "matching" to high precision.

          -John

          > I keep seeing references to a "solved" image but I don't quite know what it is
          >and what it's used for. Can someone explain?
          >
          > Nick

        • Lawrence Harris
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
            > What does "Solve" mean and what is it good for? Posted by: "paizisn" paizisn@... paizisn Thu Jul 1, 2010 12:01 am (PDT)
            >

            >I keep seeing references to a "solved" image but I don't quite know what it is and what it's used for. Can someone explain?
            >

            >Nick

            A 'solved' image is one in which the majority of imaged stars have been matched
            (by software) to the actual star positions in a known (standard) star catalogue.
            USNO A2.0 is a popular catalogue but there are later ones. The solving of an
            image means that every object in the image has its position identified and
            therefore any 'new' object in the image (such as a nova or an asteroid) also now
            has its position defined. The parameters of the software can be optimised for
            the equipment used.

            regards

            Lawrence Harris
          • paizisn
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
              Andrew -

              Ok, that makes sense but what would this information be used for? I don't need it but it must have a purpose.

              Nick

              --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:

              > Gday Nick
              >
              > A "Plate Solve" normally refers to the process of taking a picture,
              > then comparing measurements of the relative brightness and distances between star images in the image against star catalogues, to try and find where in the sky the image was taken, and what orientation it is at.
              >
              > Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
              >
              > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "paizisn" <paizisn@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I keep seeing references to a "solved" image but I don't quite know what it is and what it's used for. Can someone explain?
              > >
              > > Nick

            • barringtonri
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
                Nick,

                I'm one of the people that track asteroids and feed observations to the Harvard Smithsonian Minor Planet Center. They, in turn, add the observations to a huge data base, updating the calculated orbits of said asteroids. The process of identifying the precise position of these objects is called astrometry.

                Here's a posting to my club's bulletin board that describes the process a bit:
                http://assne.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2307

                And here's another board posting (caution - it's a big 3MB in size).
                http://assne.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2309

                The neat thing about asteroids is that if you discover one you get to name it.

                Clear skies,

                Pete Peterson
                Wishing Star Observatory (MPC site I15)

                --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "paizisn" <paizisn@...> wrote:

                > Andrew -
                >
                > Ok, that makes sense but what would this information be used for? I don't need it but it must have a purpose.
                >
                > Nick
              • paizisn
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
                  Thanks Pete, it's starting to make sense now.

                  One more thing to add to the "to do" list.

                  Nick

                  --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "barringtonri" <pecorp@...> wrote:

                  > Nick,
                  >
                  > I'm one of the people that track asteroids and feed observations to the Harvard Smithsonian Minor Planet Center. They, in turn, add the observations to a huge data base, updating the calculated orbits of said asteroids. The process of identifying the precise position of these objects is called astrometry.
                  >
                  > Here's a posting to my club's bulletin board that describes the process a bit:
                  > http://assne.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2307
                  >
                  > And here's another board posting (caution - it's a big 3MB in size).
                  > http://assne.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2309
                  >
                  > The neat thing about asteroids is that if you discover one you get to name it.
                  >
                  > Clear skies,
                  >
                  > Pete Peterson
                  > Wishing Star Observatory (MPC site I15)
                  >
                  > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "paizisn" <paizisn@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Andrew -
                  > >
                  > > Ok, that makes sense but what would this information be used for? I don't need it but it must have a purpose.
                  > >
                  > > Nick

                • hilary15xx
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Hi Nick,

                    You can also use the solution to know that your telescope is pointed
                    exactly at the target you wish to photograph. Some automation utilities
                    will slew the scope off to focus on a bright star. Then they slew back
                    to the target, take a picture, and solve it to make sure they got back
                    to the exact right place. If not, the utility can then tweak the mount
                    until it is pointed correctly.

                    Take care,
                    Hilary
                    CCD Simulator <http://www.darklights.org/simccd>

                    --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "paizisn" <paizisn@...> wrote:

                    > Andrew -
                    >
                    > Ok, that makes sense but what would this information be used for? I
                    don't need it but it must have a purpose.

                    > Nick
                    >

                    > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" johansea@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Gday Nick
                    > >
                    > > A "Plate Solve" normally refers to the process of taking a picture,
                    > > then comparing measurements of the relative brightness and distances
                    between star images in the image against star catalogues, to try and
                    find where in the sky the image was taken, and what orientation it is
                    at.

                    > > Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
                    > >
                    > > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "paizisn" <paizisn@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I keep seeing references to a "solved" image but I don't quite
                    know what it is and what it's used for. Can someone explain?

                    > > > Nick

                  • John Mahony
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                      If you saw my earlier reply, it's used to find exactly where the scope is aimed,
                      along with image scale and orientation. I mentioned it could then be used to
                      find accurate positions of any object in the image- such as asteroids.

                      It's also useful for automated set-ups, where goto error will mean your images
                      won't be aimed exactly where you want them. So after each goto to a new target,
                      an initial short exposure is "solved" to confirm the location, and then the aim
                      is tweaked if necessary.

                      -John

                      > Ok, that makes sense but what would this information be used for? I don't need
                      >it but it must have a purpose.
                      >
                      > Nick
                      >

                      > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Gday Nick
                      > >
                      > > A "Plate Solve" normally refers to the process of taking a picture,
                      > > then comparing measurements of the relative brightness and distances between
                      >star images in the image against star catalogues, to try and find where in the
                      >sky the image was taken, and what orientation it is at.
                      > >
                      > > Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
                      > >
                      > > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "paizisn" <paizisn@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I keep seeing references to a "solved" image but I don't quite know what
                      >it is and what it's used for. Can someone explain?
                      > > >
                      > > > Nick

                    • paizisn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                        John, and others -

                        Thanks for explaining this. I can see it's purpose now and I've added it to my to do list.

                        Nick