Re: Level North Error

  • mbloomlx200
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
      Thanks again for all your help, Dick.

      Meade will checkout (and fix?) this for $450(!) plus shipping. A new warranty comes with this as does an opportunity to buy into Sky Assurance (which I didn't get originally). The scope would be at Meade for 4-6 weeks.

      I'm going to try to avoid this headache by following your advice: I don't need the level and true north stuff in polar mode.

      I didn't contact Ron Sampson (yet). I'll see how the polar mode progresses.

      -Mike

      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

      > My memory was slightly faulty... the level-sensor tube was -under-
      > the the circuit card attached to the axle.
      > A photo is here:
      > http://www.californiastars.net/lx200gps/images/other/innards_leftforkarm.jpg
      >
      > (or http://tinyurl.com/yl5dkq6 )
      >
      > If the card is lying elsewhere, then anything in the fork could
      > have damaged the tube.
      >
      > Can it be fixed?
      > At worst, Meade can replace it.
      > Whether they'll just sell you the -card-, you'll have to ask them.
      >
      > As for fixing what you have now, that depends upon what's broken
      > (if was only the tube, maybe if you're careful with glue)
      > But the optical sensor and led may be hurt, the circuit card
      > could have had components shorted out by touching the inside of
      > the metal fork cover. So i certainly can't say from a distance.
      >
      > Ron Sampson [sampsonr.h (at) mindspring.com] used to service boards.
      >
      > As for the loose ball bearing: pick the scope up, rattle it,
      > then (if needed) hang it upside down and shake again.
      > (listen for a rattle).
      > Removing the bottom plate would give the ball a chance to escape.
      >
      > good luck
      > --dick
      >
      > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "mbloomlx200" <michaelbloom@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I see the rest of the level sensor attached to a triangular piece of metal that's right next to the hub. You mentioned the circuit card that's supposed to be mounted on the DEC axle if this card is on one end of the ribbon cable then I found it up against the circumference of the Dec fork. (BTW, the GPS cable is still intact).
      > >
      > > I guess the ball smashed out of the end of the tube, as you said, and dislodged the card. What would cause this?
      > >
      > > I understand this isn't used in polar, but can it be fixed and if so by whom? I don't have any warranties. :-( The more pressing question is what to do about the possibility that the ball could short everything out.

    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
        Unfortunately Ron does not work on LX200 GPS scopes as yet; he is working toward that end
        but currently he is concentrating on LX200 Classic circuitry.

        Dr. Clay
        _____
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South