Re: [LX200GPS] Re: Telescope Troubles

  • John Mahony
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
      ----- Original Message ----

      > > There is one issue, about knowing whether an alignment star is above
      > or below the "mount's equator",
      >
      > Thats not a problem as the scope works using "base relative" encoders
      > hence it can tell where the stars are, and allow for it in the math.

      Right.  I forgot it starts with the "find 90 dec" step, so it knows where dec 0 is.  The only alt-az scope I normally use is a dob w/ Sky Commander DSCs, and it doesn't bother with a step like that.  But in actual alt-az use, you don't use stars near the horizon, so it's not really neded.
      -John
    • bhajunsingh
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
        Thanks very much for all of your input.

        @dick: I will certainly try your more in-depth method for syncing to
        objects. We had not been consistently slewing to objects before
        holding down 'enter' and syncing, so perhaps that will make a difference.

        Regarding unclamping the axes for syncing, though, I see what you mean
        about manually moving the scope and how it would help to fix the
        difference in position the autostar has, but wouldn't manually moving
        the scope move the motor's gears as well? I imagine that would
        confuse the computer even more. Unless there's a way to detach the
        scope from the motors easily?

        Also, yes, that was a mistype - I believe the pier does have a 50
        degree bend in it. Thanks again for the info

        @John: Thanks for the link to the other group - I wasn't aware that
        there was one specifically for 16" LX200's.

        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "bhajunsingh" <bhajunsingh@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I've been trying get my university's 16" LX200GPS functioning
        > properly, but with little success recently. I asked a bit ago about
        > polar alignment, and since then I've been able to experiment, now with
        > new knowledge but more problems and questions.
        >
        > We are set up on one of Meade's custom equatorial mounts, which we
        > know is off by some amount. I'm fairly sure that the pier has the
        > correct angle for us (40 latitude, so 40 degree angle), and so there
        > must be some other offet.
        >
        > My first question is, without playing with the pier's position and
        > leaving the telescope pointing off of the pole, is it still possible
        > to obtain decent goto's using a two-star alignment? I realize that
        > tracking will certainly not work, but we simply need to find objects
        > for the moment. In our past attempts, we have had successful
        > alignments, but with large error and terrible goto's.
        >
        > If it is possible, is it necessary to disable object tracking/guiding
        > (please forgive my ignorance on terminology) as I would imagine that
        > it would confuse the alignment by rotating the scope in a direction
        > different to what it would expect?
        >
        > Also, given that our pier is off of the pole, what would be the best
        > way of finding the pole during polar alignment? Would taking long
        > exposures of the sky to look for object drifting work?
        >
        > Finally, we have cheating and pointing to bright stars and simply
        > syncing with them instead of going through the full alignment process
        > - the hope is that this would get the scope's internal map aligned
        > close enough for us to do some basic work. However, on more than one
        > occasion, when picking stars, syncing to them, and then looking at the
        > Autostar's readout on the current RA/Dec, we get coordinates that are
        > way off. It was telling us that Arcturus was at -51 declination and
        > that Polaris was at -57 declination! We confirmed multiple times that
        > the time, date, and location were correct, and I'm completely lost at
        > this point.
        >
        > Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you in advance.

      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "bhajunsingh" <bhajunsingh@...> wrote:

          > Thanks very much for all of your input.
          >
          > @dick: I will certainly try your more in-depth method for syncing to
          > objects. We had not been consistently slewing to objects before
          > holding down 'enter' and syncing, so perhaps that will make a
          > difference.

          You can do the long press of [enter] before centering, or after
          (with moderately recent firmwares). Some of the v1 editions
          may have required that, in fact.

          > Regarding unclamping the axes for syncing, though, I see what you mean
          > about manually moving the scope and how it would help to fix the
          > difference in position the autostar has, but wouldn't manually
          > moving the scope move the motor's gears as well?

          Not if you unclamp. The clamping frees the OTA from the entire
          gear train. All of the gears remain fully engaged and static
          (or creeping in sidereal).

          > I imagine that would confuse the computer even more. Unless
          > there's a way to detach the scope from the motors easily?

          The axis clamps do that quite well.

          have fun
          --dick