Re: LX200 GPS sensor vs LX200R GPS sensor

  • itecvu
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
      Sorry but how can see witch GPS receiver I have in my LX200 ?
      How I can open the GPS box on the LX200 harm ?

      Thanks

      Luca

      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

      > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dougherty <bd5572@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Doc,
      > >
      > > My 10" LX200GPS was from one of the first production runs.
      > > It always takes much longer to get a fix than my hand held GPS
      unit.

      > > Is it possible to remove the Motorola receiver and replace it
      > > with the Sony? If so, does Meade sell the receiver or can it be
      > > obtained elsewhere?
      >
      > There appear to have been at least -three- models of GPS receiver
      > in the LX200gps... and receiver "lump" shape is not a unique
      > identifier.
      >
      > My LX200gps was built in March 2002, and it has a Sony
      > CXD2932AR2 chip. And a "round top" lump. Works quite well.
      >
      > A correspondent recently opened his relatively new LX200R's
      > lump, and discovered a Sony GXB5210
      >
      > data sheet:
      > <http://oem-gps.com/images/stories/pdf/sony%20gxb5210%20gps%
      20receiver%20data.pdf>

      > That new chip does not return as many "sentence" types as my Sony.
      >
      > So open the lump before you decide to toss it (and i'd
      > appreciate it if someone would please post the Motorola chip's
      > identifying number).
      >
      > If you ever send in your scope for service, they tend to replace
      > the receiver lump as a part of the service.
      >
      > have fun
      > --dick

    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2008
        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "itecvu" <itecvu@...> wrote:

        > Sorry but how can see witch GPS receiver I have in my LX200 ?
        > How I can open the GPS box on the LX200 harm ?

        First, -when- was your LX200gps built?

        If it was after the middle of 2002, then you have a Sony receiver.

        If you install my patch kit, and select the [GPS commands]
        one for inclusion, then sending a :gpx# to the serial
        line will start return a continuous stream of GPS sentences.
        If you have the same Sony receiver that i do, you will occasionally
        see a $PSNY (i think that's the header) "Sony Prompt".

        If you have the -newer- Sony recevier, you will -not- see any
        GPGLL, GPVTG, or GPZDA sentences, only the GPGGA, GPGSA, GPGSV,
        and GPRMC.

        But you can open the left fork covers (the one with the DEC scale
        numbers). That provides access to two screw heads at the top of
        the fork. Unscrew those and the GPS package comes off.
        Open that, and (on mine, at least) you then have to remove the
        circuit so that you can turn it over to actually -see- the GPS
        receiver. My old one has the Sony chip number on it.
        The new one apparently has a Meade paper sticker covering the
        real chip number.

        have fun
        --dick
      • itecvu
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
          Thank you for you fantastic explanation !
          My Lx200 was from March 2002, I think one of the 1th to come in
          Europe ... or maybee exctly the 1th in europe !