Re: [LX200GPS] My Backyard is a Black Hole

  • Stu Beaber
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
      George,

      If you have TheSky software package, one of the features is the ability to map in your horizon on the screen...be it buildings, trees, whatever. This way you can see what will be *out of your line of sight*. I'm prettry sure that if you use TheSky to control your scope's movements, then you can set it up to not go below the mapped horizon. I have not tried that *not go below* feature...maybe someone who has can elaborate. TheSky is available at the site below and there may be other programs that do the same.

      http://www.bisque.com

      Stu
      www.wd4sel.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
        Hi George,

        I have a similar problem as I observe from my driveway. I have a very
        irregular pattern of obstructed viewing depending the direction. I
        find that if I use a laptop with Autostar Suite (or any other
        software), it is quite easy to guide around to the objects in the open
        spaces. Sorry this isn't the solution with just the hand paddle...

        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "horhay759" <horhay759@...> wrote:

        > When I am out of my garage and under the stars, I am really UNDER
        > them! I am surrounded by buildings, trees, and paranoid back porch
        > lighters. Therefore I am constantly rejecting slews on the Guided
        > Tour, hoping something will show up in my little window on the sky.
        > While this doesn't address the root cause of my viewing restriction
        > ("just simply move to the desert!"), it does cause frustration to
        slew
        > to the Orion Nebula and end up staring at my neighbor's siding. Does
        > anyone know of a way to PRE-restrict the scope from going outside
        your
        > field of view? Thanks for reading.
        > George

      • horhay759
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "glenn condie" <glenncondie@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "horhay759" <horhay759@> wrote:
          > >Hey Horhay !! I couldn't resist,you can limit slews in the
          autostar II
          > program!
          > glenn
          > > When I am out of my garage and under the stars, I am really UNDER
          > > them! I am surrounded by buildings, trees, and paranoid back
          porch
          > > lighters. Therefore I am constantly rejecting slews on the
          Guided
          > > Tour, hoping something will show up in my little window on the
          sky.
          > > While this doesn't address the root cause of my viewing
          restriction
          > > ("just simply move to the desert!"), it does cause frustration to
          > slew
          > > to the Orion Nebula and end up staring at my neighbor's siding.
          Does
          > > anyone know of a way to PRE-restrict the scope from going outside
          > your
          > > field of view? Thanks for reading.
          > > George

          Glenn, thanks for the info! I'll have to find my disk and get hooked
          up.
          George
        • Chuck Schexnayder
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
            Another thing to try is the program your own tour. Put in only those
            objects your able to see. That way, you can update your personal tours as
            necessary, and eliminate the views of your neighbors window--opps! I meant
            wall.. ;-))

            Chuck S.

            > >Hey Horhay !! I couldn't resist,you can limit slews in the
            autostar II
            > program!
            > glenn
            > > When I am out of my garage and under the stars, I am really UNDER
            > > them! I am surrounded by buildings, trees, and paranoid back
            porch
            > > lighters. Therefore I am constantly rejecting slews on the
            Guided
            > > Tour, hoping something will show up in my little window on the
            sky.
            > > While this doesn't address the root cause of my viewing
            restriction
            > > ("just simply move to the desert!"), it does cause frustration to
            > slew
            > > to the Orion Nebula and end up staring at my neighbor's siding.
            Does
            > > anyone know of a way to PRE-restrict the scope from going outside
            > your
            > > field of view? Thanks for reading.
            > > George

            Glenn, thanks for the info! I'll have to find my disk and get hooked
            up.
            George

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            12:09 PM

          • Adam

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Schexnayder"
                <vineyardman68@...> wrote:

                > Another thing to try is the program your own tour. Put in only
                those
                > objects your able to see. That way, you can update your personal
                tours as
                > necessary, and eliminate the views of your neighbors window--opps!
                I meant
                > wall.. ;-))
                >
                > Chuck S.

                1/1/2008
                > 12:09 PM

                Thanks for all the help everyone. Now if I could just get it to
                clear up around here for a while.
                George
              • martynneilgilbert
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                  TheSky is pretty expensive. For a cheaper option - free, in fact if you just use the one or
                  two supplied catalogues - is Astroplanner. Mainly intended for use as a visual observing
                  tool, it could also be used for imaging although you will have to switch between control
                  sources for the telescope (i.e. if you are guiding and just HAVE to have computer control of
                  the scope as part of the imaging control). I have used both PC and MAC versions and it
                  works very well. It gives you a chart of the object's path across the sky during the evening
                  and overlays your modified horizon, so you can SEE the effect of that horizon.

                  http://www.ilangainc.com/astroplanner/download.shtml

                  I have used it with my 14" LX200GPS and it just works.

                  Cheers,

                  Martyn

                  --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Stu Beaber" <wd4sel@...> wrote:

                  > George,
                  >
                  > If you have TheSky software package, one of the features is the ability to map in your
                  horizon on the screen...be it buildings, trees, whatever. This way you can see what will be
                  *out of your line of sight*. I'm prettry sure that if you use TheSky to control your scope's
                  movements, then you can set it up to not go below the mapped horizon. I have not tried
                  that *not go below* feature...maybe someone who has can elaborate. TheSky is available
                  at the site below and there may be other programs that do the same.

                  > http://www.bisque.com
                  >
                  > Stu
                  > www.wd4sel.com

                • martynneilgilbert
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                    TheSky is pretty expensive. For a cheaper option - free, in fact if you just use the one or
                    two supplied catalogues - is Astroplanner. Mainly intended for use as a visual observing
                    tool, it could also be used for imaging although you will have to switch between control
                    sources for the telescope (i.e. if you are guiding and just HAVE to have computer control of
                    the scope as part of the imaging control). I have used both PC and MAC versions and it
                    works very well. It gives you a chart of the object's path across the sky during the evening
                    and overlays your modified horizon, so you can SEE the effect of that horizon.

                    http://www.ilangainc.com/astroplanner/download.shtml

                    I have used it with my 14" LX200GPS and it just works.

                    Cheers,

                    Martyn

                    --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Stu Beaber" <wd4sel@...> wrote:

                    > George,
                    >
                    > If you have TheSky software package, one of the features is the ability to map in your
                    horizon on the screen...be it buildings, trees, whatever. This way you can see what will be
                    *out of your line of sight*. I'm prettry sure that if you use TheSky to control your scope's
                    movements, then you can set it up to not go below the mapped horizon. I have not tried
                    that *not go below* feature...maybe someone who has can elaborate. TheSky is available
                    at the site below and there may be other programs that do the same.

                    > http://www.bisque.com
                    >
                    > Stu
                    > www.wd4sel.com

                  • Barry Gerdes
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Hi George

                      As Dick said you can program the LX200 to limit its declination
                      angle to your viewable field. You can also do what I have done in
                      both TheSky 6 and Stellarium (another excellent free program, google
                      it) is to generate a panorama of your local environment using a
                      digital camera and one of the many free panorama programs.

                      This can be adapted to make a very accurate horizon simulation over
                      your planetarium program, exactly as it is viewed from your telescope
                      position. The result can be nothing short of spectacular.

                      Barry