Batteries

  • Jack Olivieri
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hello - has anyone tried using 10 nickel metal hydride batteries to
      power the scope ? I was thinking of using 10 in an external battery
      pack to get 12v. They should be lighter and easy to charge. I am not
      sure how well they would work at low temp. (35). Any thoughts?

      I bought a separate 12v 22AH sealed lead acid battery for the heaters.

      thanks,
      Jack
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olivieri" <jolivier98@...> wrote:

        > Hello - has anyone tried using 10 nickel metal hydride batteries to
        > power the scope ? I was thinking of using 10 in an external battery
        > pack to get 12v. They should be lighter and easy to charge.
        > I am not sure how well they would work at low temp. (35).
        > Any thoughts?

        Temperature won't be an issue (it'll diminish the total available
        charge a bit, but the batteries are good to -20 C, the same range
        as lead-acid)(NiCads can go to -40 C).

        The killer is capacity. AA NiMH batteries get to 2700 mAH.
        10 of them is -still- only that: 2.7 AH. That's 1 to 2 hours
        of reliable operation for your scope.

        If you check the labels, many of the C and D-sized NiMH have
        the same capacity... they're really an AA cell wrapped in a larger
        package (true C-sized NiMH at 5000 mAH, and D-size are 10,000 mAH.
        Both are expensive, and chargers are rare.)

        Trying to -charge- a 12v NiMH battery pack may be interesting...
        they are much more subject to damage by "casual" charging systems
        than Lead-acid or NiCad.

        > I bought a separate 12v 22AH sealed lead acid battery for the
        > heaters.

        Buy another for the scope...

        have fun
        --dick
        references:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride_battery
        http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-3.htm
      • Jack Olivieri
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
          Veeeery interesting... I did not know that about AA capacity in a D
          size body. Seems like they are cheating. I was hoping to charge the D
          size -4 at a time.. oh well, maybe I will get another 15 lb sealed
          lead acid battery. Would 10-12 Ah be enough for a 4-5 hr outing?

          Jack

          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

          > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olivieri" <jolivier98@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello - has anyone tried using 10 nickel metal hydride batteries to
          > > power the scope ? I was thinking of using 10 in an external battery
          > > pack to get 12v. They should be lighter and easy to charge.
          > > I am not sure how well they would work at low temp. (35).
          > > Any thoughts?
          >
          > Temperature won't be an issue (it'll diminish the total available
          > charge a bit, but the batteries are good to -20 C, the same range
          > as lead-acid)(NiCads can go to -40 C).
          >
          > The killer is capacity. AA NiMH batteries get to 2700 mAH.
          > 10 of them is -still- only that: 2.7 AH. That's 1 to 2 hours
          > of reliable operation for your scope.
          >
          > If you check the labels, many of the C and D-sized NiMH have
          > the same capacity... they're really an AA cell wrapped in a larger
          > package (true C-sized NiMH at 5000 mAH, and D-size are 10,000 mAH.
          > Both are expensive, and chargers are rare.)
          >
          > Trying to -charge- a 12v NiMH battery pack may be interesting...
          > they are much more subject to damage by "casual" charging systems
          > than Lead-acid or NiCad.
          >
          > > I bought a separate 12v 22AH sealed lead acid battery for the
          > > heaters.
          >
          > Buy another for the scope...
          >
          > have fun
          > --dick
          > references:
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride_battery
          > http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-3.htm

        • arthurok
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
            a sub c in a d cell body is very common
            i think radioshack sells high capacity nicad/ nimh
            d cells
            just remember with a nicad type battery the scope
            will just stop working when the batteries start running down "sharp knee"

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
              --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olivieri" <jolivier98@...> wrote:

              > Veeeery interesting... I did not know that about AA capacity in a D
              > size body. Seems like they are cheating. I was hoping to charge the
              > D size -4 at a time.. oh well, maybe I will get another 15 lb sealed
              > lead acid battery.

              I found some "real" NiMH D-cells (10,000 mAh) for $8 a pop at
              www.all-battery.com , and a package of 10 for $80 (which is not as
              good as the same company's 8 for $60) at www.batteryspace.com
              (i didn't do an exhaustive search).

              > Would 10-12 Ah be enough for a 4-5 hr outing?

              Maybe. Should be. You could test duration by using your
              dew heater battery as a scope source, and see how long it lasts.

              The killer with "just enough" power are those trips where
              you either want to spend -more- hours out at night, or have
              two nights in sequence where you don't get a chance to recharge
              in-between. Here in Seattle 5 hours would barely reach midnight.

              I use a 17AH JumpStart, and it can last 4 nights of light (3 hr)
              use, and still start the car after two of them (an unplanned
              test...). So based upon that, 10 AH should get you 6 hours easy.

              have fun, tell us how it goes...
              --dick

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
                maybe 8 high capacity c cells in the 200 gps would do
                if i really had to i believe that a charger circuit could be built inside of the scope to charge the batteries when the ac adapter was plugged into it

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
                  The nice thing I like about NiMH batteries are their light weight. I
                  did a search. Here are 10 C size 5000ma batteries for $45.00

                  http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=217

                  or 10 D size (10000 ma hr) for $80.
                  http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3606

                  thanks,
                  Jack

                  --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "arthurok" <arthurok@...> wrote:

                  > maybe 8 high capacity c cells in the 200 gps would do
                  > if i really had to i believe that a charger circuit could
                  be built inside of the scope to charge the batteries when the
                  ac adapter was plugged into it

                • doglett386
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 8, 2007
                    For the price of all those batteries, you caould just as easy get a car
                    battery.

                    rob

                    --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olivieri" <jolivier98@...> wrote:

                    > Hello - has anyone tried using 10 nickel metal hydride batteries to
                    > power the scope ? I was thinking of using 10 in an external battery
                    > pack to get 12v. They should be lighter and easy to charge. I am not
                    > sure how well they would work at low temp. (35). Any thoughts?
                    >
                    > I bought a separate 12v 22AH sealed lead acid battery for the
                    heaters.

                    > thanks,
                    > Jack

                  • Stu Beaber
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 22, 2010
                      Get yourself a deep cycle marine battery. 105 amp hours is fairly standard, but lately the 125 amp hour model is available. I easily get ~20 hours out of the 105 AH model running my laptop and powered USB hub. They are fairly heavy however, but designed to be discharged and recharged over and over.

                      Best,
                      Stu

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 22, 2010
                        Stu, That's a wonderful idea. What brand do you use? Do you also use an inverter? Thanks, Joe

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 22, 2010
                          Joe, I use Stowaway mostly...but most name brands are also good. This happens to be what my local "big box" store sells. I do use 2 inverters, a 300 watt and a smaller 75 watt. I'm a tad spoiled <G> I have 7 of these deep cycle batteries! When I go to dark remote sites I take a small 12 foot utility. I've basically converted it to a one man camper. Two of the batteries are devoted to running the 12vdc goodies in the trailer and the other 5 will last me thru most any star party...no matter how long! If not, I have one of those quiet Honda 2KW generators and 2 battery charger that stay in the trailer all the time. From about 50 feet away, you can hardly hear the generator run. When in the field I do all my imaging remotely from inside the trailer setting at the table. I have a 25 foot so called "umbilical cord" running out to the mount.

                          Best,
                          Stu
                          www.wd4sel.com

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 22, 2010
                            Stu, That's a cool setup. Many thanks for the advice. -- Joe

                            From: Stu Beaber <wd4sel@...>

                            To: LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 6:05 AM