Re: Can you punch a RA &DEC into the handcontroller and do a go-to?

  • sidwalkastronomy
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2007
      If I never move the scope why would I be interested in the
      topic "Adding observing sites"? Thats why I skiped that section in
      order to concentrate on pages that I use. I think the problem might
      get worse when the scopes are made in china and the manuals have to
      be translated into english. Will we be reading the manual from the
      back cover foward??

      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

      > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "sidwalkastronomy" <mkozicdds@>
      wrote:

      > >... I missed that side bar because it was next to a topic that I
      > > wasn't interested in. I have no idea why meade would put a side
      bar
      > > next to a topic that has nothing to do with that subject
      especially
      > > when the sidebar area next to the user defined object is blank.
      > > I even look over all the manual again today and missed that
      > > side bar because the main subject didn't concern me.
      >
      > Now, what does this teach/tell us?
      >
      > That Meade places -useful- information in/near items "which
      > don't concern me". Therefore everything -does- concern you.
      >
      > i.e. EVERYTHING in the manual should be read, because there
      > may well (let's make that: IS) useful information that can be
      > extrapolated to help in unexpected ways.
      >
      > Let's take SYNC: in the earlier Autostar 497 manuals Meade -never-
      > described it(*). But they did describe High Precision, and
      mentioned
      > the prompts. Thus, when an accidental long-press of [enter]
      > triggered the "Center Object to Sync" message, i was puzzled,
      > but not totally lost.
      >
      > (*) except for one 4-word hint in a figure which only appeared in
      > one pamphlet, but not in the online copy of the same "manual".
      >
      > So leave the manual in the bathroom, and refer to the odd page
      > or two when the urge strikes.
      >
      > I have the manuals on my PC, downloaded from
      > http://www.meade.com/manuals/
      > This allows rapid lookup (since Acrobat can Search for text).
      >
      > Fetching the newer models' manuals (such as LX200R, even though
      > you have an LX200gps) gains whatever "improvements" they may
      > have made across the years in hiding things.
      >
      > have fun
      > --dick

    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "sidwalkastronomy" <mkozicdds@...> wrote:

        > If I never move the scope why would I be interested in the
        > topic "Adding observing sites"? Thats why I skiped that section in
        > order to concentrate on pages that I use.

        Please don't feel that i'm dumping on -you- for skipping
        apparently useless sections of the manual. I'm merely
        saying that once you've been through it once, it's a good idea
        to revisit it for a slow trawl to find the bits you missed.
        That suggestion is aimed at all of the readers of this group.
        The manuals have little nuggets (or cinders) buried throughout.

        Sure, read it for the interesting bits the first time through,
        but then it really is a good idea to follow Mike Weasner's
        advice of "read it three times" (to which i might add "no matter
        how much it hurts").

        >... I think the problem might
        > get worse when the scopes are made in china and the manuals have to
        > be translated into english. Will we be reading the manual from the
        > back cover foward??

        As it happens, i do take the proofreader's approach of reading
        it backwards (at least at the page level), too. Breaking up their
        choice of topic sequencing only helps reveal what otherwise
        might get missed in a "doesn't apply to me" section.
        It's also a great way to lull oneself to sleep at night.

        I'm really not trying for "memorization", merely to catch items
        i might have missed on previous passes (frequently due to
        eyes-glazed-over effects). At least to learn that they're
        in there, even if i can't quickly find them again later
        (could they have found a -worse- place to put the RA/DEC sidebar?).

        Again, only using the example you happened to have chosen (adding
        sites), that information may suddenly become very useful on a night
        when the Autostar hiccoughs, the GPS can't get a fix, and your
        scope returns to its reset state of thinking that it's in
        Irvine California. Then "adding a site" may become very germane.
        If you read (far) earlier posts, Clay's advice for setting up a
        scope the first time was to manually add your city, then let it
        try for the fix. Folks following that advice were immediately
        in the "add a site" chapter.

        I mentioned that i read the other models' manuals. I think i
        do that in part in the (so far unrealized) hope that they've
        finally done it -better-.

        have fun
        --dick
      • Ron Hillstromb/NH6WL
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 1, 2007
          Dick

          Thanks for keeping those 'nuggets' avaialable for
          those of us who are staring at a wall after reading
          through the manuals severl times and still missing
          them.

          Ron

          A SAc trained Warrior --- those who were know what I
          mean.

        • doglett386
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 14, 2007
            With the LX90 type autostars you can enter the RA/Dec cord. and the
            scope will move to said object. But As you are finding I can't find how
            to do the same thing with the LX200 Autostar 2. And I have read the
            manual cover to cover to find out. So far nothing on how to do it.
            Other that making a tour of said object.

            Rob

            wrote:

            > I'm reading the manual and I see you can do a user object, but was
            > wondering if there is an easy way to punch the RA and DEC into a sub
            > menu and do a go too?? Thanks mike

          • plalbrecht
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 14, 2007
              --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386" <nibbitthedog@...> wrote:

              > With the LX90 type autostars you can enter the RA/Dec cord. and the
              > scope will move to said object. But As you are finding I can't find how
              > to do the same thing with the LX200 Autostar 2. And I have read the
              > manual cover to cover to find out. So far nothing on how to do it.
              > Other that making a tour of said object.
              >
              > Rob
              >
              > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "sidwalkastronomy" <mkozicdds@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm reading the manual and I see you can do a user object, but was
              > > wondering if there is an easy way to punch the RA and DEC into a sub
              > > menu and do a go too?? Thanks mike

              Hold down the MODE button for three seconds. That gets you into a
              little-known menu. Then you can use the scroll up or down buttons to
              go through this menu. The items are:

              Current RA and Dec
              Current PEC segment, Dec PEC status (on or off)
              Battery level
              Timer and alarm
              Current time and local sidereal time (LST)
              Longitude
              Latitude
              Location name and date
              Current altitude and azimuth

              (Press MODE again to return to normal menu tree).

              Manually entering RA and DEC:
              Hold MODE for three seconds.
              Scroll to the current RA and Dec.
              Press GOTO. Display reads "Object Position" with set of current
              coordinates. Manually enter target RA and Dec coordinates using number
              keys and left/right arrow keys. Press ENTER to Dec field when done.
              Telescope slews automatically to entered position.

              Alt and Azimuth coordinates may be entered manually like RA coordinates.

              I collected screen shots of the entire menu tree (from the "Remote
              Handbox" function in Autostar Suite) and combined them as one large
              image. I find it useful to refer to this. You can download and print
              this. Can be rescaled to fit on a single sheet of paper.

              http://www.petealbrecht.com/autostarmenu.jpg

              It's covered, redundantly, in two places in both the GPS and R
              manuals, which can be found at
              http://www.meade.com/manuals/index.html
              and especially
              http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/LXseries/LX-200R.pdf
              See bottom of left sidebar on p. 20.

              See also p. 10, item 3.

              Pete
            • plalbrecht
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 14, 2007
                This question comes up so often, I've placed the instructions in the
                Files section, under "Manually entering RA and Dec."
              • autostaretx
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 14, 2007
                  --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386" <nibbitthedog@...> wrote:

                  > With the LX90 type autostars you can enter the RA/Dec cord. and the
                  > scope will move to said object. But As you are finding I can't find how
                  > to do the same thing with the LX200 Autostar 2. And I have read the
                  > manual cover to cover to find out. So far nothing on how to do it.

                  I am somewhat puzzled by your question, since the method is
                  *exactly* the same for both the LX90 and the LX200GPS/R

                  (the one difference being that the hold-mode on the Autostar II
                  arrives at the status display you -last- visited (so you may
                  have to scroll to RA/DEC.. but the first time after power-up
                  will arrive at RA/DEC).

                  have fun
                  --dick
                • doglett386
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                    No it's not the same. You can enter the RA/DEC directly into the
                    autostar 1 IE THE LX90 ones But you can no do the same with the
                    autostar 2 IE LX200GPS ones that is. For example, Let say I wanted to
                    enter 13 Hr 10 min 30 sec RA and +34 12 33 DEC into the autostar's
                    Again you can with the LX90 type autostars but not the LX200GPS type
                    autostars. And no where in the LX200GPS manual does it say how or
                    that you can.

                    --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386" <nibbitthedog@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > With the LX90 type autostars you can enter the RA/Dec cord. and
                    the
                    > > scope will move to said object. But As you are finding I can't
                    find how
                    > > to do the same thing with the LX200 Autostar 2. And I have read
                    the
                    > > manual cover to cover to find out. So far nothing on how to do
                    it.

                    > I am somewhat puzzled by your question, since the method is
                    > *exactly* the same for both the LX90 and the LX200GPS/R
                    >
                    > (the one difference being that the hold-mode on the Autostar II
                    > arrives at the status display you -last- visited (so you may
                    > have to scroll to RA/DEC.. but the first time after power-up
                    > will arrive at RA/DEC).
                    >
                    > have fun
                    > --dick

                  • plalbrecht
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                      --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386" <nibbitthedog@...> wrote:

                      > And no where in the LX200GPS manual does it say how or
                      > that you can.

                      (Sigh) One more time.

                      http://tinyurl.com/ygqgdx

                      See page 10. See page 20.
                    • autostaretx
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                        --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386" <nibbitthedog@...> wrote:

                        > No it's not the same. You can enter the RA/DEC directly into the
                        > autostar 1 IE THE LX90 ones But you can no do the same with the
                        > autostar 2 IE LX200GPS ones that is. For example, Let say I wanted to
                        > enter 13 Hr 10 min 30 sec RA and +34 12 33 DEC into the autostar's
                        > Again you can with the LX90 type autostars but not the LX200GPS type
                        > autostars. And no where in the LX200GPS manual does it say how or
                        > that you can.

                        Please -describe- the method you use for the LX90.

                        Then try it on the LX200gps and tell me what happens instead
                        of what i think should happen (i.e. the RA/DEC are accepted).

                        Just saying "it doesn't work" doesn't tell me what "it" is.

                        have fun
                        --dick

                        > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386" <nibbitthedog@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > With the LX90 type autostars you can enter the RA/Dec cord. and
                        > the
                        > > > scope will move to said object. But As you are finding I can't
                        > find how
                        > > > to do the same thing with the LX200 Autostar 2. And I have read
                        > the
                        > > > manual cover to cover to find out. So far nothing on how to do
                        > it.
                        > >
                        > > I am somewhat puzzled by your question, since the method is
                        > > *exactly* the same for both the LX90 and the LX200GPS/R
                        > >
                        > > (the one difference being that the hold-mode on the Autostar II
                        > > arrives at the status display you -last- visited (so you may
                        > > have to scroll to RA/DEC.. but the first time after power-up
                        > > will arrive at RA/DEC).
                        > >
                        > > have fun
                        > > --dick

                      • Karl Ball
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                          doglette

                          See page 33 of Meade Instruction Manual 8", 10", 12", 14", 16" LS200GPS Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes....." Tips: Using Autostar II to find objects not in the libraries:"

                          Karl

                          doglett386 <nibbitthedog@...> wrote:
                          No it's not the same. You can enter the RA/DEC directly into the
                          autostar 1 IE THE LX90 ones But you can no do the same with the
                          autostar 2 IE LX200GPS ones that is. For example, Let say I wanted to
                          enter 13 Hr 10 min 30 sec RA and +34 12 33 DEC into the autostar's
                          Again you can with the LX90 type autostars but not the LX200GPS type
                          autostars. And no where in the LX200GPS manual does it say how or
                          that you can.

                          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                          > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386" <nibbitthedog@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > With the LX90 type autostars you can enter the RA/Dec cord. and
                          the
                          > > scope will move to said object. But As you are finding I can't
                          find how
                          > > to do the same thing with the LX200 Autostar 2. And I have read
                          the
                          > > manual cover to cover to find out. So far nothing on how to do
                          it.

                          > I am somewhat puzzled by your question, since the method is
                          > *exactly* the same for both the LX90 and the LX200GPS/R
                          >
                          > (the one difference being that the hold-mode on the Autostar II
                          > arrives at the status display you -last- visited (so you may
                          > have to scroll to RA/DEC.. but the first time after power-up
                          > will arrive at RA/DEC).
                          >
                          > have fun
                          > --dick

                          Quality Engineer with specialty
                          in certification of companies to:
                          ISO 9000, ISO 13485 and ISO 14000
                          Standards

                        • plalbrecht
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                            --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Karl Ball <kwball@...> wrote:

                            > doglette
                            >
                            > See page 33 of Meade Instruction Manual 8", 10", 12", 14", 16"
                            LS200GPS Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes....." Tips: Using Autostar II
                            to find objects not in the libraries:"

                            Good. I'll add that to the "RTFM" note in the Files section. That
                            makes THREE places in the manual where the procedure is described.
                            It's p. 32 of the R manual, 33 of the GPS manual.

                            (I blame the school system...)

                            Pete
                          • Ron Hillstromb/NH6WL
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                              Hey Pete

                              Don't forget page 33 in the LX200GPS manual and page
                              32 in the LX200R manual.

                              Ron

                              --- plalbrecht <plalbrecht@...> wrote:

                              > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386"
                              > <nibbitthedog@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > And no where in the LX200GPS manual does it say
                              > how or
                              > > that you can.
                              >
                              > (Sigh) One more time.
                              >
                              > http://tinyurl.com/ygqgdx
                              >
                              > See page 10. See page 20.
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • plalbrecht
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                                --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Hillstromb/NH6WL <nh6wl@...> wrote:

                                > Hey Pete
                                >
                                > Don't forget page 33 in the LX200GPS manual and page
                                > 32 in the LX200R manual.

                                Already done.
                              • doglett386
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                                  Thanks for the heads up on that.

                                  Rob

                                  --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "plalbrecht" <plalbrecht@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Hillstromb/NH6WL <nh6wl@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hey Pete
                                  > >
                                  > > Don't forget page 33 in the LX200GPS manual and page
                                  > > 32 in the LX200R manual.
                                  >
                                  > Already done.

                                • doglett386
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                                    I just checked the manual, thanks for the page number and heads up, BUT
                                    Not quite. You have to give it a name, What it is, SS, star, deep
                                    space. Then the RA/DEC of the object. But first enter the size of the
                                    object and the mag... Not quit the quick and fast way to enter the
                                    RA/DEC of a quick target you wish to check.

                                    Rob

                                    0GPS@yahoogroups.com, "plalbrecht" <plalbrecht@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Hillstromb/NH6WL <nh6wl@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hey Pete
                                    > >
                                    > > Don't forget page 33 in the LX200GPS manual and page
                                    > > 32 in the LX200R manual.
                                    >
                                    > Already done.

                                  • sidwalkastronomy
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                                      I asked the same thing a while back and there was a thread of response
                                      and the message # started at 100832. go back there and all the
                                      different things came up. My manual had it burried in a tip on another
                                      page and I passed right over it. It in the R manual 2 times.
                                    • Southern Stars Observatories
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                                        > I just checked the manual, thanks for the page number and heads up,
                                        > BUT Not quite. You have to give it a name, What it is, SS, star,
                                        > deep space. Then the RA/DEC of the object. But first enter the size
                                        > of the object and the mag... Not quit the quick and fast way to enter
                                        > the RA/DEC of a quick target you wish to check.

                                        Wrong.

                                        <MODE> for 3 seconds from anywhere
                                        Scroll until RA and DC are displayed
                                        <GOTO>
                                        Key the RA <ENTER>
                                        Key the DC <ENTER>

                                        and it goes to RA/DC, that is all.

                                        Jean-Claude PELLE
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 15, 2007
                                          --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386" <nibbitthedog@...> wrote:

                                          > I just checked the manual, thanks for the page number and heads up, BUT
                                          > Not quite. You have to give it a name, What it is, SS, star, deep
                                          > space. Then the RA/DEC of the object. But first enter the size of the
                                          > object and the mag...

                                          No you don't.

                                          I've done this.

                                          You enter RA and Dec and that is IT.
                                        • Ron Hillstromb/NH6WL
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 16, 2007
                                            The attempts to help on this subject and the
                                            rejection is becoming tiring. I, for one, am going to
                                            walk away from the discussion.

                                            The same question came up on AutoStarSuite.net.

                                            Ron
                                            --- plalbrecht <plalbrecht@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, "doglett386"
                                            > <nibbitthedog@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I just checked the manual, thanks for the page
                                            > number and heads up, BUT
                                            > > Not quite. You have to give it a name, What it is,
                                            > SS, star, deep
                                            > > space. Then the RA/DEC of the object. But first
                                            > enter the size of the
                                            > > object and the mag...
                                            >

                                            > No you don't.
                                            >
                                            > I've done this.
                                            >
                                            > You enter RA and Dec and that is IT.
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Chris Bullock
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 16, 2007
                                              I found this in the files section of our group. Looks
                                              like it is possible but have not tried it.

[...]

                                              It's covered, redundantly, in THREE places in both the
                                              GPS and R
                                              manuals, which can be found at
                                              http://www.meade.com/manuals/index.html
                                              and especially
                                              http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/LXseries/LX-200R.pdf
                                              See p. 10, item 3.

                                              Also see bottom of left sidebar on p. 20.

                                              Also also see p. 32 of the LX200R manual and p. 33 of
                                              LX200GPS manual.

                                              Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                            • plalbrecht
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 16, 2007
                                                --- In LX200GPS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Hillstromb/NH6WL <nh6wl@...> wrote:

                                                > The attempts to help on this subject and the
                                                > rejection is becoming tiring. I, for one, am going to
                                                > walk away from the discussion.
                                                >
                                                > The same question came up on AutoStarSuite.net.
                                                >
                                                > Ron

                                                Yes.

                                                Smells like troll. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I didn't
                                                want to just say "RTFM."

                                                Pete