SB314-Fundamental Parental Right Bill Introduced

  • Elissa Wahl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2013
      3/23/2013

      Nevada Homeschool Network has been working since last December on a Fundamental Parents Rights bill to safeguard all Nevada parents and children from government intrusion into the decision making process of the family unit.  We are pleased to announce that SB 314, sponsored by Senator Mo Denis, was introduced last Monday, March 18th in the 2013 session of the Nevada Legislature.

      It is important to note that this is not a homeschool or an education bill but rather is intended to provide an additional layer of protection to parents through legislative enactment.  Frank Schnorbus, NHN Chair has written an outstanding Question & Answer pamphlet,  The Right of Parents to Raise Their Child (and conversely the right the child to be raised by his/her family) to better explain the need for this law in Nevada.  The pamphlet  includes footnotes and references documenting the need for this law.   We encourage you to read through it and forward this email to other concerned citizens.

      Nevada Homeschool Network has partnered with ParentalRights.org and HSLDA in endorsing this bill and are appreciative of their resources to help get the word out to Nevada families.  We have heard from Legislators that YOU have already been very active this session.  We thank you! Here's another bill for you to support and be a source of encouragement to our elected representatives.

      CALL TO ACTION:  A hearing on the bill has not yet been scheduled.  We are simply asking that Nevada parents inform themselves on this topic as well as go to the 2013 NV Legislature Opinion Page to "vote" FOR the bill and submit YOUR comments.  In your own words, your message can be as simple as, "SB 314 mirrors current law in many states, is intended for the courts, and defines the liberty of parents to direct the upbringing, education and care of the child as a fundamental right."  Let's make this one of the TOP 50 most popular bills this session!

      Many thanks,

      NHN Officers; Frank, Barb, Elissa, Kelley, Laura & Ray
      http://nevadahomeschoolnetwork.com/

      Resources:
      HSLDA announcement: http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2013/03/20130322161813.asp
      Schnorbus, Frank, The Right of Parents to Raise Their Child: http://www.nevadahomeschoolnetwork.com/pdfs/ParentalRightLaw.pdf