Hello!

  • Sherry
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 8, 2011
      My name is Sherry and I am the Grandma/Legal Guardian of my 8 year old grandson, Dominic, who has a multiple diagnosis of Autism/FAS/Bipolar. He has been in 5 different public schools in Las Vegas (Special Needs Programming)and they are changing his placement AGAIN! I am seeking information about homeschooling him, as I think this will be best for him, and I would like to talk with some of you whom have already made this decision. I need some guidance. Please help! Thanks!!
    • tina jackson
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
        Welcome Sherry,

         I found that when I pulled my daughter out of ccsd I never looked back.  There are lots of options and a lot of great families that can support you and give you advice.  I pulled my daughter out in Nov 2006, my daughter was diagnosed with adhd/add/ aspergers/a genetic disorder/mild cp.  I did  independently home school for almost a year and that was the best thing I could do for her.  It helped me find her base and give her the support she needed in a  more relaxed environment.  I ended up in NVVA and so far I am pleased but hate the annual testing.  I also enjoy the services my daughter gets, o.t. and social skills.  You can still get your services from ccsd even if you are not sending your grandson there, but I found that the quality of services is better this way for me.  My daughter will be in High School next year and I am not sure if I will continue a virtual school.

        Good luck with you new adventure.  You can email me if you have more questions, if I don't have the answer I can help you find someone who will.

        Tina

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
          Hi sherry. I too am the mom of an 8 yr old fas/autism little boy that we adopted from Russia. We moved here and were appalled at the school system so we never enrolled him and homeschooled him using an online program. Time 4 learning.com. It works great with his attention span and keeps track of progress etc. we also went to lakeshore learning and bought everything we could for his developmental level.
          ***always remember that with fas kids you take their chronological age and half it and that is their developmental and emotional age. (I've studied fas for 7 yrs)
          Best
          Teri

          --- In LVSpecialNeedsHS@yahoogroups.com, "Sherry" <sherryschuerman@...> wrote:

          > My name is Sherry and I am the Grandma/Legal Guardian of my 8 year old grandson, Dominic, who has a multiple diagnosis of Autism/FAS/Bipolar. He has been in 5 different public schools in Las Vegas (Special Needs Programming)and they are changing his placement AGAIN! I am seeking information about homeschooling him, as I think this will be best for him, and I would like to talk with some of you whom have already made this decision. I need some guidance. Please help! Thanks!!

        • Sherry Schuerman
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
            Thanks Teri.  That is extremely helpful.  I'll be making this decision in the next few weeks.  Where do you connect for your son's socializing?  I have looked online, but haven't found much.

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
              Hi Tina, thanks!! What is NVVA?  Dom really needs the extra services like O.T. and especially Social Skills classes, so if I do homeschool him is he still eligible for them at CCSD?  Also, do you see the virtual schooling to be a hindrance once your daughter entered the more social ages of Jr. High and High School?  Thanks so much for your help!!

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
                Hi Sherry! My name is Michelle and I am the mother of surviving quads (Margaret, James and Joseph) who will be turning 4 in a few days. They have been diagnosed with Autism/Mild CP/Auditory Processing DIsorder/ADHD, Autism and Developmentally Delayed/Mild CP respectively. I am planning on homeschooling the children. Sadly I have no advice for you since my children are younger I have not had to fight with the school yet.

                I do know some about the virtual schools. The NVVA is Nevada Virtual Academy. http://www.k12.com/nvva

                Since they get federal funding they have to take children with disabilities AND provide therapy services for them if necessary. I have heard from many people that this is a good option because everything is supplied but the downside is all the testing. I am sure the ladies on here will be able to give you more information and can detail their experiences with the school.

                As for socializing I have not found much either. I try and take my children to the park where they have a chance to play with and be around other children.

                --- In LVSpecialNeedsHS@yahoogroups.com, "Sherry" <sherryschuerman@...> wrote:

                > My name is Sherry and I am the Grandma/Legal Guardian of my 8 year old grandson, Dominic, who has a multiple diagnosis of Autism/FAS/Bipolar. He has been in 5 different public schools in Las Vegas (Special Needs Programming)and they are changing his placement AGAIN! I am seeking information about homeschooling him, as I think this will be best for him, and I would like to talk with some of you whom have already made this decision. I need some guidance. Please help! Thanks!!

              • Elissa Wahl
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 9, 2011
                  hey all,

                  With the advent of RISE...we now have a place if we want to hold a get-together, either social or informational.....and gab about different special needs and homeschooling! Kids or no kids....whatever works!

                  ANyone want to throw a date out there?

                  riseresourcecenter.org

                  Elissa Wahl
                  RISE Resource Center
                  Nevada Homeschool Network; NV Homeschooling Information
                  My Blog: Christian Unschooling

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 13, 2011
                    Thanks Michelle. Wow, you sure do have your hands full. I checked out the virtual site and parents complained about the testing, but said it was a goog alternative. I will do a lot of research before I homescool, as I am getting a lot of feedback from other parents that say to keep him in scool for the social interaction. Thanks for your help.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 13, 2011
                      Hey Sherry,

                      Got to jump in on that "social interaction" advice.   You have to look at the whole picture and make the best decision for you.  My daughter is not very social but that is her personality.  I have lots of friends who homeschool and if nothing else there kids are extremely social.  Our kids need a lot of patients and understanding.  Most school settings do not do a good job at that.  I hated the fact that when my daughter went to CCSD they talked down to her because she had the special needs label and they babied her.  That drove me nuts.  Like I said my daughter is not very social, seems to run in my family.  She has friends and they fit her life style for now.  Since we virtual school things are a little easier to juggle. I still stay in the loop with the home school groups and they have once a month roller skating, a party for every holiday, field trips and some have even classes for every age.  I put my daughter in girl scouts and  art classes on Monday nights.  I find that her social life fits her fine.  I also remember when I homeschooled I was overwhelmed with all of the things available and now that I virtual school I do not do much since I seem to be more focused on getting her educated and catching her up to her grade level.  But they do lots, Bowling, geography clubs, plays, art, museums and even some online clubs.  CCSD I felt does not provide the type of social environment I wanted for my daughter.  I know several people who pulled there kids out for being bullied since bullies pray on the weak.  That is my opinion,  as you see I am very passionate about the social interaction stuff.

                      Good Luck
                      Tina

                      Thanks Michelle. Wow, you sure do have your hands full. I checked out the virtual site and parents complained about the testing, but said it was a goog alternative. I will do a lot of research before I homescool, as I am getting a lot of feedback from other parents that say to keep him in scool for the social interaction. Thanks for your help.

                      Hi Sherry! My name is Michelle and I am the mother of surviving quads (Margaret, James and Joseph) who will be turning 4 in a few days. They have been diagnosed with Autism/Mild CP/Auditory Processing DIsorder/ADHD, Autism and Developmentally Delayed/Mild CP respectively. I am planning on homeschooling the children. Sadly I have no advice for you since my children are younger I have not had to fight with the school yet.

                      I do know some about the virtual schools. The NVVA is Nevada Virtual Academy. http://www.k12.com/nvva

                      Since they get federal funding they have to take children with disabilities AND provide therapy services for them if necessary. I have heard from many people that this is a good option because everything is supplied but the downside is all the testing. I am sure the ladies on here will be able to give you more information and can detail their experiences with the school.

                      As for socializing I have not found much either. I try and take my children to the park where they have a chance to play with and be around other children.

                      --- In LVSpecialNeedsHS@yahoogroups.com, "Sherry" <sherryschuerman@...> wrote:

                      > My name is Sherry and I am the Grandma/Legal Guardian of my 8 year old grandson, Dominic, who has a multiple diagnosis of Autism/FAS/Bipolar. He has been in 5 different public schools in Las Vegas (Special Needs Programming)and they are changing his placement AGAIN! I am seeking information about homeschooling him, as I think this will be best for him, and I would like to talk with some of you whom have already made this decision. I need some guidance. Please help! Thanks!!

                    • luckymom2one
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 14, 2011
                        I just wanted to add that we used K12 and as for the socialization, although it is different than the b & m schools that particular school has some parents that started a private fb group that does alot of their own social activities/get togethers and also the school has field trips all the time. For us we did leave due to all the assessments. My son did not like that at all. LOL. So we are now at Connections Academy another virtual school. But I do say I miss the group on fb. There is also another virtual school out here called Odyssey which has teachers who actually come to the house once a week. I know alot of the parents from Nevada Virtual Academy who have younger kids switched to Odyssey because of this.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 17, 2011
                          Thanks Michelle.  I'm sure getting a lot of great information here from you Moms!!  The CCSD had me pull Dom from a SED class and he was suppose to be transferred into an SLD class at another school, but they had some issues and now he cannot be enrolled in the new school (#6 school change for us and he's only in the 3rd grade!).  Needless to say, I am very frustrated.  I will give this a little more time over the Christmas break, because the teacher they have him slated to go to is one of the best.  But, if this continues much longer, or we can't get in her class, I think I will be homeschooling for sure.  Thanks again for the great info!!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 17, 2011
                            Hi Tina.  I completely agree with you regarding the bully situation, and that is one of the main reasons we are considering the homeschooling path.  That, and they can't seem to get his placement right, so he struggles more academically than he should be.  This is such a huge decision, so I am gathering all of my facts and will be making this big decision after the Christmas break.  The only socialization Dom will have once I pull him from CCSD will be church once a week and Gymcats once a month until baseball starts up in the spring.  So, I will be seeking playgroups and other planned activities for him, as he yearns for friends but just doesn't know how to keep them once he has one.  We're working on that!  Thanks again for sharing, it really feels like a great group of Moms here!!