small social group

  • marilyn stefanisko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2010

      Hi fellow homeschoolers!

      I’m considering starting a small social group for children ages around 4-8 years that would include special needs kids.  This group would do things like:  Circle time, story time, centers, music, and outside play time with some basic academic themes.

      A retired elementary school teacher would oversee this group.  Parent volunteers are welcome and encouraged but not required.  There would also be sensory and communication applications available (i.e. bean bag chairs, small trampoline, weighted therapy balls, PECS pictures & schedules, basic sign language, etc.).

      The idea for this group is to have a small social forum where both typically developing and special needs peers can be comfortable, have fun and hopefully gain friendships.  The group size will be limited to 5 other children besides my youngest son.  There would be a small hourly fee (probably in $5/hr range or less) to cover the teacher’s cost and any legal/insurance cost for me to run this from my home, but I’m not doing this for profit.

      I live in a gated community in the NW Valley (Farm/Tenaya) on a ½ acre property (with lots of backyard play area space).  I would be donating our great room for this group (approx. 16’ x 20’ area) and access to a ½ bath restroom.

      I am starting an interested list to see if there is a need or desire for this type of group.

      If interested or if you have any questions please contact me at 642-4253 or by email at mvanstef@...  please note "social group" in the subject line of your email.

      Also if you could let me know:

      1.      What ages are your children that would attend this group?

      2.      What days of the week are best for you?

      3.      What hours of the day are best for you?

      4.      How many hours total would you be interested in having your child attend?

      5.      Would you be interested in volunteering?  If yes, how often?

      Thank you

      Marilyn Stefanisko