News from the Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2010
      From: Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council <info@...>

      Date: Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM
      Subject: News from the Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council
      To: GWNC News <news@...>

      In this Issue:

      - GWNC Still Filling Vacancies

      - Tree Giveaway a Big Success

      - GWNC Launches New Ad Hoc Pedestrian Safety Committee

      - Land Use Updates

      - GWNC Co-Sponsoring Great Los Angeles Walk Event

      - LADWP Offering Free California Friendly Landscape Workshops

      - Message on Median Maintenance from City Council Member Herb Wesson (Council District 10)

      - Next GWNC Board Meeting

      GWNC Still Filling Vacancies

      At our September and October Board meetings, the GWNC swore in three new Directors and Alternates:

      Patty Lombard - Fremont Place (Alternate)

      Charles D'Atri - Larchmont Village (Director)

      Vince Cox - Larchmont Village (Alternate)

      But we still have openings for several positions. If you're looking for an opportunity to perform some rewarding community service, are eligible to serve (live, work or own property in the area or qualify for one of the two special interest categories) and can commit to a 2-3 hour meeting once a month, please drop us a note at info@... and let us know which of these vacancies you might be interested in:

      Citrus Square – Alternate

      Oakwood-Maplewood-St Andrews – Director & Alternate

      Western-Wilton – Alternate

      Windsor Square – Alternate

      Business - Alternate

      Education – Alternate

      GWNC Tree Giveaway a Big Success

      The GWNC booth at the October 24 Larchmont Fair gave away 71 trees with the help of our planting partners from the Koreatown Youth and Community Center. The City will fund one tree planting for every 10 trees given away, so our efforts will result in 7 new street trees being planted, in addition to the trees we gave away. Also, besides the on-site giveaways, the booth provided information about the City's ongoing free shade tree program -- if you're interested in getting free shade trees for your yard, see http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp000744.jsp - you can complete the required workshop online, and have the trees delivered to your home.

      GWNC Launches New Ad Hoc Pedestrian Safety Committee

      GWNC Alternate Director Sarah Tabor has launched a new committee to study pedestrian safety in the Greater Wilshire Area. Ms. Tabor is compiling data on pedestrian and bicycle accidents, will identify the worst danger spots in the neighborhood and will be working with the committee to discuss possible remedies. Updates will be provided at our next board meeting. If you're interested in this subject, please drop us a note at info@... and we'll forward your comments to the committee.

      Land Use Updates

      Topics currently under discussion by our Land Use Committee include a major renovation project at the Eastern Presbyterian Church (4270 W. 6th St.), Wireless Telecommunications installations, and proposed city ordinances on Community Care Facilities (including sober living homes), Citywide Design Guidelines, and Code Streamlining. If you'd like to learn more about any of these - or other area land use topics - please join us at our next Land Use meeting on Tuesday, November 23, 6:30 p.m., in the Assembly Room of the Wilshire United Methodist Church (4350 Wilshire Blvd.) Free parking is available in the lot on the west side of the church (enter from Wilshire Blvd.).

      GWNC Co-Sponsoring Great Los Angeles Walk Event

      On Saturday, November 20, blogger Michael Schneider (http://franklinavenue.blogspot.com) will lead a group of interested people on his fifth annual "Great Los Angeles Walk." This free, family-oriented event will take participants from Pershing Square downtown, along Wilshire Boulevard to the ocean in Santa Monica. The goal is to get to know our great city up close and personal, on foot, and to learn more about Wilshire Boulevard and the neighborhoods it passes through. The GWNC will sponsor a rest stop for walkers, near the Los Altos apartments, where we will hand out water, cookies and information about the Greater Wilshire area. If you'd like to learn more about - or join - the Great Los Angeles Walk, see http://www.greatlawalk.com/ or, if you're on Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=169680879711204 If you'd like to volunteer at the GWNC rest stop (from about 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.), please contact us at info@...

      LADWP Offering Free California Friendly Landscape Workshops

      Southern California is facing a severe water supply shortage. As a result, more water conservation is urgently needed. To help LADWP customers reduce their landscape water consumption, LADWP’s Water Conservation Group is hosting a FREE California Friendly Landscape Workshop.

      Customers will learn effective ways to care for their lawns and conserve water through low maintenance, affordable landscaping practices. The workshops will be held on Saturday, December 11, from 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., at 14401 Saticoy St., in Van Nuys. Free parking is available. Class space is limited so customers are required to RSVP online or by calling (800) 544-4498 and pressing “5”.

      For more information, see http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp012467.jsp

      Message on Median Maintenance from City Council Member Herb Wesson (Council District 10)

      I want to let you know that the long over-due maintenance work on the medians in our area is finally underway, beginining on San Vicente and Venice Boulevards (see photos above). The state of the medians has been of great concern to everyone, and I want to give you some background on the situation and an update on where we are.

      Maintenance of the city’s medians is the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Street Services, Department of Public Works. At present, for the purpose of median maintenance. the city is divided into four quadrants, three of which are privately contracted. One of the quadrants has been maintained by city personnel. The area of the city covered by the city personnel rotates.

      Due to the budget crisis, those city personnel positions have been eliminated. This
      occurred at a time when the quadrant maintained by city personnel rotated to the area that includes Council District 10, which is one of the Council Districts impacted. Others include: Districts 1 (CM Reyes); 4 (CM LaBonge; 5 (CM Koretz); 9 (CM Perry); 13 (CP Garcetti; 14 (CM Huizar).

      For the remainder of this fiscal year, the Councilmembers representing these districts, including Council District 10, will be providing funds from their individual Council accounts to the Bureau of Street Services for median maintenance in this quadrant using private contractors. I am sorry that the Board of Public Works' contracting process has taken so long. Now that work has begun, you can be assured that we will closely monitor the work to see that it is completed as soon as possible.

      Next GWNC Board Meeting

      The next GWNC Board Meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 8th, 7:00 p.m., at the Ebell of Los Angeles (4400 Wilshire Blvd.) Guest speaker Detective Dan Robbins, from the LAPD Vice squad, will address crime issues in the Greater Wilshire area.

      Also, for the holidays, we'll be collecting for the Hope Net food drive and a Toys for Tots toy drive organized by the Los Angeles City Fire Department. If you'd like to contribute, please bring a new, unwrapped toy or packaged, non-perishable food item (or both!) to the meeting.

    • Cocoe Voci
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2010
        Hi Neighbors.
        Our dog is missing...please let us know if you see him.
        Unfortunately, we took his collar off this morning.
        His name is "Sparks".
        He is a small Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix, about 2 years old.
        He is friendly and does not bark much.
        We last saw him in our back yard at 12noon today on Gower St.
        Thank you,
        Cocoe Voci
        310-927-6050

        Visit Your Group