Re: Mail Stolen

  • Linda Sunshine
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2010
      I just read that someone on Gower had their mail stolen and wanted to add that the same thing happened to me about 6 weeks ago.
      I live in the 500s on Bronson.
      I closed my checking account but about 2 weeks ago I became a victim of ID fraud when a women started cashing checks on my account in Huntington Beach.
      How did she get the new account number?
      Apparently, a helpful teller in Huntington Beach told her the account was closed and offered her the new number.
      The woman was then able to withdraw over $8000 from my account.

      It's been a huge hassle straightening out this mess with Chase. And, yes, I have filed police reports.
      But I no longer leave my outgoing mail in my mailbox.

      Also, I was advised by the officer at the station on these points which I wanted to pass along to my neighbors:

      1) the officer told me that the best way to protect yourself is to get a PO Box and use that address on your checks and everything else that goes out to strangers because these fraud guys are really stymied if they don't have your address. (and never put your phone number on your check!) Remember that when you include your driver's license number on the check, you are basically passing along any info anyone needs to get into your account!

      2) the officer also said that you should never use a debit card anywhere but a bank because if you use your pin number (like when you are buying gas) that's when these guys get your pin number and your bank card number and then you are really vulnerable.

      I hope this is helpful to you!

      Cheers, Linda S.

    • Caitlin Dempsey
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2010
        I'm curious - what policy is it of the bank in Huntington Beach to hand out your personal account information to a total stranger?
        Caitlin Dempsey
        Editor, GIS Lounge
        editor@...
        http:.gislounge.com