Medical Marijuana Collectives--hearing Monday--sample letter

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2009
      Karen and Michael Gilman

      address, city, zip

      City Planning Department

      City of Los Angeles

      200 N. Spring St.

      Los Angeles, CA 90012
      patrice.lattimore@...
      doug.mensman@...

      Re: Support 4th Draft Ordinance/proposed code modifications for
      Medical Marijuana Collectives 08-0923 with reference to City Attorney's
      most recent report

      Dear City Planning Commissioners:

      I am writing to request that the Commission vote to support the
      4th Draft Ordinance, taking into consideration the recommendations of
      the City Attorney's Report #R09-0360, dated October 20, 2009, and the
      neighborhood councils' community impact statements.

      Our family and our neighbors in the Larchmont Village area need
      and want greater regulation of the medical marijuana collectives. While we're concerned about preserving the right of residents who are truly medically needy
      to access and benefit from marijuana to help them utilize their
      treatments for glaucoma, cancer, AIDS and HIV-related conditions, we're
      also concerned about the proliferation of the "collectives" and their
      proximity to schools, day care centers, rehab facilities, and religious
      institutions. We are in favor of the 1000 ft. restrictions from such
      facilities as well as restricting the MMC's proximity to each other. We would appreciate greater restriction of their operating hours.

      Thank you for considering our concerns when you hear this matter on Monday, November 16, 2009 at the joint hearing of the Planning and Land Use Committee and Public Safety Committee.

      Sincerely,

      Karen Gilman

      4941 Elmwood Ave.

      Los Angeles, CA 90004

      cc: David Berger, Special Asst. City Attorney
      Doug Mensman, Planning Deputy, Council District 4
      Patrice Lattimore, City Clerk, Planning & Land Use Committee