hi

  • Susan Leibowitz
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
      i have trouble believing that the poor folks walking door to door to post flyers or find bottles to return are plotting crimes. They're not even around in the middle of the night when these car break-ins are going on... and they might even deter crime.
    • Sam King
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
        I agree

        sam

      • kevinlanda@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
          About a year ago we left the front door open and someone distributing flyers ran in and grabbed money on the counter and ran out.

          Crime of opportunity yes...our fault partially...yes.

          Is everyone that distributes flyers a criminal, of course not, however, be aware of anyone walking up to your vehicle or house. I wish door to door flyers and soliciting was prohibited.

          Also, on the 600 N block of Lucerne blvd a neighbor had a daytime burglary (approx 3 weeks ago). Another neighbor saw what he thought was a gardener in their driveway around the time, however it turns out they don't have a gardener.

          Hopefully all of this is not a new trend in the neighborhood.

          From: Susan Leibowitz <susanleibowitz@...>
          To: LVNA90004@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, 29 September, 2009, 4:52 PM

          i have trouble believing that the poor folks walking door to door to post flyers or find bottles to return are plotting crimes. They're not even around in the middle of the night when these car break-ins are going on... and they might even deter crime.

        • Caitlin Dempsey
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
            While I agree that most people distributing flyers and collecting
            recycling out of the bins are not casing the neighborhood for
            opportunities, one trend that I've found disturbing is the ease by
            which many of the recycling collectors enter private property. It
            used to be that the collectors only went into our cans once they had
            been placed on the street for garbage pick-up day. Since there's a
            whole cottage industry that has sprung up (which will only get worse
            if the proposal to double the deposit on cans/bottles is passed),
            there seems to be a lot more competition. These collectors now don't
            hesitate to walk down our driveway to look through our bins any given
            day of the week. As a women with a small infant in tow, its very
            disconcerting to be going to my car and running across strange men at
            the back of my property.

            On Sep 29, 2009, at 11:15 AM, kevinlanda@... wrote:

            > About a year ago we left the front door open and someone
            > distributing flyers ran in and grabbed money on the counter and ran
            > out.
            >
            > Crime of opportunity yes...our fault partially...yes.
            >
            > Is everyone that distributes flyers a criminal, of course not,
            > however, be aware of anyone walking up to your vehicle or house. I
            > wish door to door flyers and soliciting was prohibited.
            >
            > Also, on the 600 N block of Lucerne blvd a neighbor had a daytime
            > burglary (approx 3 weeks ago). Another neighbor saw what he thought
            > was a gardener in their driveway around the time, however it turns
            > out they don't have a gardener.
            >
            > Hopefully all of this is not a new trend in the neighborhood.

          • no_irving
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
              Actually, about 2 years ago there was a bit of a crime wave (break-ins) going on in Larchmont. After speaking with LAPD several times after each incident, they sent an unmarked car to cruise the neighborhood over a period of several days to see what was going on. LAPD actually caught 2 of these men posing as trash bin scavengers and what they discovered was that these 2 had tools hiden in their shopping carts that enabled them to break into homes! .... AND they were both out on parole. Needless to say, the were arrested and put back in jail.

              So, just be cautious and aware. Report any crime or any suspicious behavior. As much as we may not want to admit it, crime is a fact of life in city living.

              Kyle