CRIME UPDATE

  • larchmontvillageneighborhood
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2009
      As anyone who drives or walks northern Van Ness Avenue can tell you, there's been a spate of very visible, large tagging going on from Elmwood north to Melrose (not coincidentally also part of the area where a young man was shot to death several months ago).

      HBT and most of the landlords and residents have been on case with paintouts and repairs and we're working with the remaining property owners to respond and respond quickly to the tags. We're also communicating with our Olympic Senior Lead Officer Joe Pelayo who sent over the following update which contains valuable information - PLEASE READ:
      Good Morning Charlie,

      The Olympic gang unit is actively pursuing this. There was an arrest made of a gang member link to that crime late Thursday. We are also working closely with the Hollywood gang unit that patrol the area north of Melrose. Although patience is running thin amongst the community, I still believe that if we all work together we eliminate the presence of graffiti in our area.

      Thank you for your input. Please advise your neighbors to report any suspicious activity immediately to the police.

      Off. Joseph Pelayo

      If you should happen to be out at night and see suspicious activity PLEASE call the police immediately at 911, the gang units are actively engaged in pursuing this.

      If you see tagging after the fact, PLEASE call 311 so it can be dealt with promptly, shortcircuiting the tit for tat mess that will result if it's not.