URGENT: Melrose Digital Billboards

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2009
      Dear Neighbors,
      Let's all try to help with disseminating the request regarding documentation of installation or conversion of digital billboards on Melrose and getting info back to Jane Usher, as David Zahniser is trying to document billboards and permit dates for an LA Times story.
      The one above the Arco station at Melrose and Wilton, electronic, seems relatively recent to me, but I don't know if it went up during the moratorium. I am going to return to speak with Roubik, the manager of the Arco station, and would appreciate any and all other info on your observations of the timing of installation of this and any other digital/electronic billboard on Melrose.
      Thanks to all,
      Karen Gilman
      Elmwood Ave.
      LVNA Secretary

      Jane Usher writes to us on behalf of the Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council:

      I could really use your help on this one. According to Dave Zahniser of the LA Times, there are now two digital billboards on Melrose between Highland and Wilton.?He did not give me more precise addresses. They are both on the North side of Melrose. Dave does not know when they were installed. He asks whether they were installed after the Interim Council City Code Ordinance (ICO) on billboards took effect in December 2008.

      ?

      I believe that Dave might write a significant story?on these if we can find locals who will identify when these went up. Do you have neighbors or businesses that you can reach out to ASAP to find out the timetable of the installation of these two digital signs?

      ?

      Many thanks, as always. Jane
      ?

      Jane Ellison Usher
      218 S. Windsor Boulevard
      Los Angeles, CA 90004
      tel (323) 938-3329
      cell (213) 880-2098
      fax (323) 938-3196
      jeusher@...

    • Olivier Schreiber
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2009
        This LA Weekly article mentions the issue:

        http://www.laweekly.com/2009-02-26/news/los-angeles-on-300-000-a-year/

        along with some facts that tend to decrease one's worship of council members:

        Not one of the 15 council members must pay L.A.’s new parking costs. Rosendahl’s aides say City Council members are exempt from feeding parking meters. Similarly, the council instituted an extra car-towing surcharge of $100, now slapped on anyone unlucky enough to park illegally in a tow zone, to narrow the budget deficit. Yet City Council members, with their special license plates on their free cars, can’t be towed in Los Angeles – unless they block a fire hydrant.

        and this is the impression from reading some Larchmont Chronicle articles:

        The 15 members and their huge staffs focus on — and continually congratulate themselves for — performing “constituent services” that in well-run cities are generally handled by the parks, street, sanitation and other city departments. The result here is twofold: a failing system of favor-peddling that has convinced L.A. residents they must go around the rules and seek action from the 15 council members, and a minutia-focused body that avoids tackling the really serious city problems.

        -----GiLpErsOn2@...'s message:
        Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:08:24 -0500
        From: GiLpErsOn2@...
        To: lvna90004@yahoogroups.com