Word to the wise

  • larchmontvillageneighborhood
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2009
      In the last couple of weeks there have at least 2 home invasion type
      burglary attempts in Windsor Square/Hancock Park. While I never
      counsel people panicking, now is certainly the time for everyone to
      make sure they're being both smart and careful.

      Make sure your locks are used, make sure your neighbors know when
      you're going away, make sure you have the necessary emergency numbers
      handy (use the Links section to your left if you need to look 'em up)
      and don't be afraid to notify LAPD if your radar makes you think
      something is amiss on your street.
    • tara kelly
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2009
        All,
        An email was posted, I believe on another list I'm on, with a helpful
        suggestion from someone from the City Attorney's office: get an email/phone
        tree gathered of your entire block, or as many folks as you can gather.
        When someone "suspicious" knocks on your door, immediately notify the
        neighbors. Last night I was babysitting for a friend and a young girl
        knocked on the door around 8:45 and stated, "Can I talk to you?" I did not
        open the door and sent her away. Turns out she knocked on several doors on
        their block last night, with varying stories of needing money for school,
        selling newspapers, etc., and exhibited some odd behavior.

        So, when you see something odd, you can alert your neighbors! Hate to be
        overly suspicious or unfriendly, but these days... -- Tara, North Gower