CORRECTION re: Town Hall Meeting Dec. 3rd

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2008
      Please scroll all the way down to read. Illegal signs will be on the agenda while the " lifting" will not be but we may be able to speak up on both topics....
      ?Information conveyed by Patti Carroll, Beachwood Ave. of LVNA & LBA, and John Welborne, Windsor Square Assn.
      My apologies--Town Hall meeting is interesting and important but less urgent on the billboard matter than previously thought.
      Karen Gilman, Elmwood Ave.

      From: "John H. Welborne"
      Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 21:10:40 -0800
      To: John H. Welborne<john@...>
      Subject: Update to CD 4 Neighbors Concerning December 3 "Town Hall" Meeting

      Dear Neighbors:

      Councilmember Tom LaBonge's staff last week asked neighborhood associations to distribute a flier to neighbors about a "Town Hall" meeting that Councilmember LaBonge has organized for this coming Wednesday, December 3. The staff member wrote that this will be a chance to meet the personnel of the new Olympic Division of the LAPD and to "discuss possible capital improvements" to the Wilshire Center / Koreatown area.
      ?
      The flier can be found on the Windsor Square Association web site:
      ?
      http://www.windsorsquare.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/town-hall.pdf
      ?
      As you probably know, Councilmember LaBonge is the elected representative for much of the Greater Wilshire neighborhood (and much of the northern part of Wilshire Center (AKA "Koreatown").
      ?
      It turns out (according to an e-mail received today from CD4 staff) that discussing "possible capital improvements" is NOT to discuss, and get feedback about, community reaction to lifting -- for much of the Wilshire Center area between St. Andrews Place and beyond Vermont Avenue -- the existing ban on new billboards. However, "enforcement of illegal billboards is also on the agenda. (There is a specific program called PACE - Pro-Active Code Enforcement - which will be discussed.)"
      ?
      The CD 4 staff wishes us to emphasize that Councilmember LaBonge did NOT intend this meeting to be one to discuss Councilmember Wesson's proposal to create a sign district in Koreatown, although Councilmember LaBonge "is very concerned about the proposal." The office adds that "Councilmember LaBonge does not support the creation of ANY new sign districts in Los Angeles."??
      ?
      We've been asked to clarify this because CD4 staff does not want to disappoint folks who attend the December 3d meeting when the Koreatown billboard proposal is NOT a part of the agenda. On that subject, CD 4 staff advises:
      ?
      "Anyone who is concerned about the creation of new billboard sign districts, (which, again, Tom does NOT support)," should please write or email:
      ?
      Gail Goldberg, Director of Planning
      City Hall Mail Stop 395
      200 North Spring Street
      Los Angeles, CA 90012-2601
      ?
      gail.goldberg@...
      ?
      We hope this clarifies matters . . . and that you are able to attend this important community meeting.
      ?
      Sincerely,
      ?
      John H. Welborne
      Vice President for Planning and Land Use
      Windsor Square Association
      ?
      ?

      Friends, This email is a CORRECTION. ?The Town Hall Meeting that we are still all invited to attend and participate in WILL NOT INCLUDE A DISCUSSION ON BILLBOARD'S OR LIGHTED ADVERTISEMENTS. ?This subject is not on the agenda and is not a part of our Council Districts agenda.

      Our Councilman's position is definitely against the poliferation of this type of advertising. Carolyn Ramsay, Tom's Communications Chief recommends "Anyone who is concerned about the creation of new billboard sign districts, (which, again, Tom does NOT support) should please email'

      Gail Goldberg, Director of Planning

      City Hall Room

      200 North Spring St.

      Los Angeles, CA 90012

      I will be out of town for this meeting and still urge you to attend and gain valuable information re: Our new Olympic Division of the LAPD. Which will be serving half of Windsor Square.

      GoodThoughts, ?Frank

      Would you like to send this email to a friend?

      Click Here to be removed from this list

      From: Karen Gilman <gilperson2@...>
      Date: Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:32 AM
      To: gilperson2@..., Charles D'Atri <cdatri@...>, la brea <labreacoalition@...>, "John H. Welborne" <john@...>

      No billboards on agenda Wednesday night at the Town Hall meeting hosted by Councilperson Tom La Bonge.