An Animal Control Department that Neither Controls Nor Reveals its Rules

  • Aarde V. Atheian
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2008
      Ms Nikki Ezhari

      Field Deputy, Tom LaBonge's Fourth Council District

      300 N Spring St, Rm 480 City Hall, 200 N Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 900012

      Dear Nikki

      Per our conversation during the last LVNA meeting, I was to send you my
      account of my complaint about the performance of our Animal Control
      Department.

      I had complained about a vicious dog that had us scared shaking in our boots
      every time we walked past this house in our neighborhood. All we wanted to
      know was Does Animal Control take action in the situation that I had
      described.

      Animal Control advised us that such complaints cannot be made verbally that
      they require all such communications to be in writing and be accompanied
      with evidence, witnesses etc.

      After months of correspondence and gathering such evidence, we have our long
      awaited Hearing on February 6, 2008, chaired by Officer Poblano of Animal
      Control.

      After making sure that all of the evidentiary work has been accomplished,
      Officer Poblano says the only time they take action is if dog bites me. No
      amount of loud barking, viciousness or savagery is reason for City to
      interfere regardless of how long and threatening the barks are. The burden
      of proof is entirely on me, the complainer, he adds.

      I ask him, If the rules are this simple and easy why not tell me ahead of
      time and before I spend hundreds of hours gathering for evidence the first
      time that I called or wrote?

      Why couldn't they tell me this from the very beginning and saved me this
      trouble and effort and

      Where in the City Ordinance is this rule located?

      He tells me they have no obligation to show me a copy of this rule and that
      and I could find it in the Ordinance at the LAMC.

      Well I tried and I couldn't find it.

      My request from you therefore is

      1. Questions like these should be answered by telephone. No need to
      burden citizens who pay thousands of dollars a year for such services that
      they be in writing.

      2. Animal Control failed to address the problem. It treated it as a
      barking dog annoyance problem whereas none of the description we gave fit
      that designation. See my letters.

      3. Animal Control and indeed the entire City is obligated to show the
      complainer what does the Ordinance say about the problem. Such information
      at a minimum should be available at the blog of the department or on line.

      4. Animal Control is obligated to tell me if indeed it is true that
      the City Ordinance does not address the problem of particularly vicious dogs
      terrorizing every passersby in their neighborhood. The absence of such
      coverage is an open invitation for every resident to start harassing their
      neighbors with a particularly vicious and dangerous dog. Those dogs are more
      dangerous than wild animals. It just doesn't make sense that there's no
      ordinance addressing them.

      I am enclosing my correspondence that quite adequately describe the
      situation.

      I am also asking my fellow residents in the neighborhood if they know
      something about this that I don't.

      ~Aard

      Aarde V. Atheian, 560 N. Plymouth Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, Phone&Fax
      323.465.2695, Email: Athein@...