One to Two Story Conversions

  • Aarde V. Atheian
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2008
      As I had cited during our recent LVNA meeting there are two such conversions
      that have sprouted on my block of Plymouth Blvd.

      The most recent such conversion is the one going on lot 526 N Plymouth Blvd
      right next to another such conversion which was allowed to proceed to the
      north of it on 532 N Plymouth Blvd five years ago.

      Those two conversions are examples of the kind of conversions that I don't
      want to see spread in our neighborhood.

      To continue to permit these kinds of conversions will lead us to lose the
      wide open, bright, expansive and spacious streets that we got when we
      purchased our homes and replace them with tunnel like streets with bleak,
      high forbidding walls jutting from both sides of the streets, blocking the
      sun, our view, the sky and our horizons.

      When those conversions are permitted please insist:

      No prison or mausoleum type structures, no shear walls jutting from all four
      sides of the building, no flat roofs making them look like pillboxes.

      More not less space dedicated for trees, shrubs and greenery,

      More not less, variations on the roof and wall shapes and designs, with
      contours alternating between slanted and flat, tiered or cascading surfaces,
      with roofs like tiers, only gradually increasing in height; with breaks,
      recesses, bays, baloneys and coves rather than monotonous shear, straight
      walls;

      With views and openings towards the inside of the building with internal
      yards, stairs and trees, not closed-in ones with forbidding block walls.

      Can you elaborate on what steps have been taken to address these concerns?
      or

      How you would be achieving these goals in future such conversions? or

      What if any conditions are there in place now for these types of
      conversions?

      I thank you for your receptivity into addressing our concerns.

      ~Aard

      Aarde V. Atheian, 560 N. Plymouth Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, Phone&Fax
      323.465.2695, Email: Athein@...

      Message 2 of 2 , May 24, 2008
        Dear Art,
        Check the zoning for your block. I believe it is R-1. The LA Municipal Code
        has certain height and square footage allowances for construction on R-1 lots.
        There are also limits on the "set-backs"--that is how far the house is set
        back from the street. Make sure that the City does not allow a variance for
        the setback to be decreased: decreased set-backs alter the sightlines from your
        house to the right and left when you're on your front porch. For more
        information on the "mansionization" law that the CIty Council passed recently
        (that hasn't gone into effect yet), call or write Doug Mensman in Councilmember
        Tom LaBonge's office, 213-485-3337, or _doug.mensman@..._
        (mailto:doug.mensman@...) .

        To give input in the process, any time you receive a notice from City
        Planning about a hearing taking place regarding a property within 500' of your
        house, you must read the hearing notice, go to the hearing if possible, and
        protest against any variances proposed that disturb you, that impact your family,
        your house, your privacy, your yard. These hearings take place on Wednesday
        mornings at City Hall. You can also submit a letter (and you should do that as
        well), but personal appearances have a stronger impact. You can call City
        Planning to find out what staffmember is assigned to a case, ask questions,
        give input and you can even go to City Hall to review the property's file.
        213-978-1300.

        To check if any permits have been requested that require a public hearing
        for a property near you or anywhere, go to the ZIMAS website of the City (Zoning
        Information Mapping System) at _http://zimas.lacity.org/_
        (http://zimas.lacity.org/) .
        You may also check "Property Activity Reports" on the Dept. of Building and
        Safety website, by entering an address you can access the history of all
        permits requested for permitted work on a property, work your way through
        lacity.org, go to Building and Safety, go to the left-hand menu for Property Activity
        Reports.

        During construction, if you see that the construction plans conflict with
        what you were told was approved, call 311 during the day to report a code
        violation or the direct line for Building and Safety. The inspector assigned to
        the property or assigned to the neighborhood in general will get back to you.

        I hope this helps. Rallying the neighbors is very important. If you would
        like a taste of how public hearings operate, please stay tuned for further
        updates on the Camerford Lofts (Melrose & El Centro) appeal, as the next hearing
        is slated for June 3 in the Planning and Land Use Committee (as the developer
        and a different neighborhood group appealed the CIty Planning decision on
        the case on Dec. 13 so it moves to this next step before the project is
        approved), and we are filling carpools and aiming for 20 neighbors present at that 2
        p.m. hearing.

        Karen Gilman
        Elmwood Ave.
        323-350-9225

        In a message dated 5/23/2008 10:12:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        athein@... writes:

[...]

        323.465.2695, Email: _Athein@..._ (mailto:Athein@...)

        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.