Wilshire Blvd Development Issue/Update Bob's Big Boy

  • kentrisk
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2008
      An FYI from our neighbors to the south...

      Charlie D

      Liz Fuller of the Sycamore Square Association on the south of
      Wilshire
      between La Brea and Highland has just learned Bob's Big Boy has
      received
      an eviction notice for June 30. I've discovered over the past year,
      since Sonic Automotive first proposed moving the Beverly Hills BMW
      dealership to a redeveloped site involving Bob's Big Boy, that Bob's
      is
      the favorite of many more people than I expected.

      Sonic Automotive, which operates Beverly Hills BMW and Ehlers
      Cadillac
      and over 200 other dealerships throughout the US, holds the long-term
      lease on the property.

      Early today, Liz received an update from Renee Weitzer in Tom
      LaBonge's
      office that Sonic was returning with a new plan for the Ehler's sites
      on
      the north and south of Wilshire that will allow them to move Beverly
      Hills BMW to the site. They claim this new plan will fit within
      existing zoning rights -- the implication being they just need to
      file
      building permit or two.

      I don't feel comfortable about this claim given that the old R1-P1
      zone
      was converted during the 2002 General Plan change to [Q]C2-1, where
      the
      Q specifies, in most cases, that "The use of the property shall be
      limited to parking lots or residential development at the R1
      density."
      I fear Building and Safety may be convinced to overlook the Q
      condition.

      We haven't seen Sonic's new plan plan yet.

      Regards,
      Fred