Update from the LVNA Board......

  • larchmontvillageneighborhood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2005
      January 2005.....

      The Board held elections last week and here are the new officers:

      Charlie Hutchinson- President
      Vince Cox- Vice-President
      Winnie Mosa- Treasurer
      Judy Horning- Secretary

      Congratulations to all!

      Also, be on the look out for criminals in our neighborhood using
      the "lost pet" scam to get into your back yard. The Suspects act as
      a pair with one knocking on your door asking to look in your back
      yard for a lost pet. Meanwhile, the other suspect attempts to enter
      house while resident is looking in back yard with other suspect.
      Please be aware that this type of activity has been reported in the
      Windsor Square area.

      Lastly,

      There is a meeting worth trying to attend. We're one of the few areas
      of the city still without a neighborhood council, which weakens our
      position in dealing with city government, particularly on planning
      and zoning issues (the councils were specifically envisioned as
      having power in these areas). Meeting is on this Thursday January 20,
      2005, at John Burroughs Middle School in the Multipurpose Room from
      6:30 pm to 9:30 pm to begin planning for the GWNC election. Details
      are below.......

      In July, 2004, the Board of Neighborhood Commissioners (BONC) invited
      us to explain why we had not held elections in the eight months since
      we had become certified. All sides attended a BONC meeting on August
      3, 2004 and explained their actions/inaction regarding failure of the
      Interim Board to attain a quorum at a meeting to elect a committee to
      begin planning our official neighborhood council elections. After
      hearing from all sides, BONC asked the Department of Neighborhood
      Empowerment (DONE) to try and mediate differences and get elections
      started and report back at its September 28th meeting.

      On September 14, DONE held an open community meeting to take the
      pulse of the neighborhood. 105 people attended and participated in a
      discussion of what had transpired over the years, GWNCs
      certification, the current status of GWNC and what GWNC should do
      next. At the end of the meeting, survey forms were passed out and
      collected to measure the opinion of attendees as a representative of
      our neighborhood council. An overwhelming 72% of the 105 survey
      forms returned asked that the City arrange for an independent third
      party to help GWNC organize and hold the initial election of its
      board of directors. Subsequently, DONE staff reported these results
      to BONC. The Commissioners reacted favorably to the Community
      Meeting and the survey.

      At the September 28th meeting BONC unanimously voted to have DONE
      staff prepare draft policy recommendations for BONC to consider,
      regarding the procedure of how DONE will intervene as a third party
      when the interim board of any neighborhood council cannot make up a
      quorum in order to carry out its mandate to hold elections. DONE
      staff presented its draft recommendations at the October 19th BONC
      meeting. BONC approved the policy DONE had created. Since then,
      over the holidays, DONE has been working on how to approach the
      election process in our case. They now appear ready to go, as
      described in their invitation, below.

      GWNC already has City approved Bylaws. GWNC also has an agreed upon
      set of election procedures. DONE staff and the City Attorney,
      working with various neighborhood council representatives over the
      last year, have developed Election procedures and guidelines. DONE
      has decided to hold a series of open community meetings, this month
      and next, beginning with a meeting at John Burroughs Middle School,
      on Thursday evening, January 20, 2005 to begin working on our
      election procedures, tweaking them if necessary and helping us move
      forward toward the open election of our first Board of Directors. We
      now need all of our neighbors to set aside differences and
      participate to make sure our elections are a success.

      Again, the Department of Neighborhood Empowerment (DONE) is holding
      another Community Meeting (described below) one week from this
      Thursday, on January 20, 2005, at John Burroughs Middle School in the
      Multipurpose Room from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm to begin planning for the
      GWNC election. PLEASE MAKE PLANS TO ATTEND! TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS!
      Once again, the City, through DONE, needs to hear your voice as they
      try to help our neighborhood move to the next step forward toward
      full and fair elections in our neighborhood council, Greater Wilshire
      Neighborhood Council. This is a very important meeting for as many
      stakeholders as possible to attend.

      If you have any questions, please email Deanna or Mark Lewis. The
      official email invitation to GWNC stakeholders is below along with
      their contact information. Or feel free to contact me if you prefer
      and I will try to obtain an answer for you. READ THE MESSAGE BELOW!

      IMPORTANT NOTE: IF YOU WOULD LIKE TRANSLATION PROVIDED YOU MUST
      CONTACT DONE AT (866) LA HELPS OR (323) 789-2810, NO LATER THAN
      FRIDAY, JANUARY 14, 2005.

      John Gresham
      Interim Co-Chair
      Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council