Proposed Increase in Sewer Service Charge

  • athein@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2005
      This is letter that I wrote to City Council on their pending decision to raise our sewer fees.
      ~Aard
      -----------------------------------
      Date: Sunday, January 09, 2005 5:39 PM

      To: The Los Angeles City Council,
      City Hall, 200 N Spring St, Rm 395
      Los Angeles, 90012

      From: APN:46744051: 560 N Plymouth Blvd
      Aard V. Atheian, 560 N Plymouth Blvd, Los Angeles 90004-1411.
      Ph & Fx :323.465-2695(H), E-Mail: Athein@...

      Subject: Proposed Increase in Sewer Service Charge

      My councilman is Tom LaBonge. I don�t know his position on this rate increase but I suspect that he, like most of you are for it.
      Why do I say this?
      Because all of you are a product of a generation of politicians who thrived in an atmosphere of tax and spend politics.
      During the past forty years I have watched politics in California at the State County and City level evolve around the mantras of tax and spend while delivering less.

      I am here to tell you that as a voter, as a ratepayer and as a constituent I have been dismayed and I am opposed to this rate increases.
      I am opposed to your politics as usual.
      I am urging that you collectively make a decision to reverse this inertia and adopt a precedent for delivering more and asking for less.
      I am urging you to take your heed from the State government and examine your programs for bureaucracies that we no longer need and for services that are better performed by private enterprises, look for bureaucracies that put unnecessary burdens on your average City residents.
      Does Building and Safety need to be as expansive as it has been? Is a Commission for Women still a necessity after all the politics for women that we�ve seen during the past forty years? How many other commissions are there that need to be eliminated?
      Do any of the services that we currently pay for, needed? Are they cost effective? Is it all necessary that we have all those redundant environmental programs? Could we do without them and is it cost effective for those services to be done by government? Could those functions better be left to people outside government?