HELP - "ROBERT L BURNS" PARK PETITION - BEVERLY/VAN NESS PARK

  • Samantha Karim
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2007
      Dear LVNA

      We have started a petition to upgrade the Robert L Burns Park on Beverly and Van Ness.
      The Nannies and Mothers who use the park have requested the following upgrades;

      - A Shade Canopy Structure to provide shade to the children's sand area
      - A self closing gate that small children are unable to open
      - A proper toilet to replace the disgusting Port-A-John
      - A Childrens Hand washing Area

      In 2 hours today we collected 40 signatures at the park, we will collect more over the
      coming week. We are sending these to: Mark Mariscal, Superintendent of Metro Region,
      Dept of Parks and Recreation, 3900 West Chevy Chase Drive, LA, CA 90039

      WE COULD REALLY USE YOUR HELP PLEASE! If anyone is interested in helping us improve
      this small park we would suggest the following;

      Cut and paste our petition letter (below) into a word document and mail to Mark Mariscal
      (please adapt as necessary) or draft your own letter.

      It would make more of an impact if we all sent our letters at the same time and they
      landed on his desk in one go. We suggest a MASS MAIL date of WEDNESDAY 2ND MAY
      2007.

      DATE: May 2nd 2007

      Attention: Mark Mariscal
      Superintendent of Metro Region
      Dept of Parks and Recreation
      3900 West Chevy Chase Drive
      LA
      CA 90039

      Dear Mr. Mariscal

      REFERENCE: ROBERT L BURNS PARK – REQUEST FOR UPGRADES

      We / I are Mothers / Nannies who frequently attend the Robert L Burns Park on Beverly and
      Van Ness. The park is very popular with younger children as it has an enclosed sanded
      area with toddler sized play equipment.

      We all enjoy the park however we would like to request the following upgrades to the park
      so that the children can utilize the park better.

      • A shaded structure / canopy over large parts and particularly the north end of the
      sanded play area. There is little shade unless you come very early in the morning (before
      10:00a.m.) or very late in the afternoon (after 5:00)
      • A "self-closing" entrance gate to the sanded area, which cannot be opened by the
      small children. Perhaps the latch could be located high on top of the gate.
      • A proper toilet to replace the "Port-A-John"
      • A hand washing area near the existing water fountain so children can wash their
      hands.

      (PETITION PLUS PHOTOS OF PARK ARE BEING ATTACHED IN OUR PETITION)

      It would also be helpful if you could email me and tell me if you have participated so I can
      gauge the support!

      OR if you prefer, Mail your envelope to me and I will mail together with the petition in one
      big package. Samantha Karim 317, N. Wilton Place, LA, CA 90004.

      Thanks

      Samantha Karim
    • Samantha Karim
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2007
        After getting feedback from people via email regarding the Robert L Burns park. It has been
        recommended that I get various local bureaucrats involved too.

        I would like to therefore suggest that the letters are mailed to me (not to the parks
        superintendent) so I can present them to the local councilman who can then assist me in
        applying to the parks dept.

        MY ADDRESS:

        Samantha Karim
        317 North Wilton Place
        LA
        CA 90004

        Thanking you in advance for your support

        Sam
      • Patricia Carroll
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27, 2007
          Dear Sam,
          You might call or write Carolyn Ramsey. In case you do not have her email address, it is carolyn.ramsay@....
          There may be grants available from the Dept of Parks and Recreation. I believe I saw information at the CD4 Office at Hollywood City Hall re: this.
          Kind regards,
          Patti
          Patricia Carroll