USC tackles economic value of historic preservation

  • kentrisk
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2006
      Given all the discussion at our meetings about the historical
      character of the area, I thought many of our members might be
      interested in the following information:

      The Lusk Center for Real Estate at USC has an event
      scheduled for January 11, 2007 which may be of great
      interest to you and your friends.

      Registration will begin in a few weeks.

      The information is as follows:

      What is the Value of Historic Preservation OR Should
      we Keep it Up or Tear it Down?

      The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, LA
      Architect Magazine, the USC Architectural Guild, APT,
      and the USC School of Policy, Planning, and
      Development' s Master of Real Estate Development
      program will be presenting a panel discussion
      exploring whether development and historic
      preservation are inherently in conflict.

      Confirmed Speakers include: Dan Rosenfeld (Urban
      Partners), Steve Williams (2005 President of the
      RICS), and Jay Turnbull (Page and Turnbull, San
      Francisco). Ann Gray, FAIA and CEO/Publisher of
      Balcony Media Incorporated will moderate.

      Thursday, January 11, 2007 in Harris Hall on the USC
      Campus
      Reception at 6:00 p.m. followed by Panel Discussion at
      7:00 p.m.

      Save the date. Regisration information will be
      available in mid-December.

      The key faculty member leading the event is:

      Raphael Bostic
      Telephone: (213) 740-1220
      FAX: (213)740-6170
      E-Mail bostic@...
      Ph.D. in Economics
      Stanford University

      Expertise
      Urban development, urban economics

      Biographical Sketch
      Raphael Bostic, Ph.D., joined USC's faculty after
      spending six years on the staff at the Federal Reserve
      Board of Governors. He enjoyed a successful tenure at
      the Fed, having quickly attained the rank of Senior
      Economist and received a Special Achievement Award in
      2000 for his work supporting a Congressional mandate.
      Professor Bostic has done extensive research on
      consumer banking issues, with a primary focus on
      mortgage and small business lending, bank branching
      patterns, and credit scoring and automated
      underwriting. While at the Fed, he was responsible for
      studying and advising on fair lending and
      discrimination issues. His research on financial
      markets and institutions has focused on banks in
      community development, the role and effects of
      regulation in banking, housing and homeownership,
      urban economic growth, wage and earnings profiles,
      affordable housing, and policy analysis. He is
      currently conducting research on the ways in which the
      Community Reinvestment Act has influenced the behavior
      of lenders and credit markets.