Re: [LVNA90004] Digest Number 12

  • Charles D'Atri
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2004
      Clearly we should keep alert as there seems to be a crew working the neighborhood. Kyle - any suggestions from our precinct liaisons?

      As for Councilman LaBonge's comments, it's just a matter of math that there are not enough police in Los Angeles. New York has better than double the number of officers for a similar population and there's not much argument that the "broken windows" method of policing inhibits greater crimes (such as the break-ins going on in our area right now.)

      I don't like higher taxes any more than anyone, however so long as we (or our representatives) insist on greater levels of services by pandering to pressure groups, support high judgments for city personnel errors (including police derived injuries) and refuse to pay higher taxes, our basic services are going to suffer. There's a disconnect between the services we expect and the amount we want to pay.

      If someone's got another way to pay for the additional police, I'm all for it.

      Charlie

      LVNA90004@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Beachwood burglaries
      From: "blabarge"
      2. Re: Burglaries and Our Tax Advocating Councilman
      From: athein@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:36:55 -0000
      From: "blabarge"
      Subject: Beachwood burglaries

      After last night's meeting, I thought I should post this to keep
      people informed about the crime wave that has hit our end of Beachwood.

      A house on the corner of Beachwood & Clinton was burglarized last
      Thursday. I don't know many of the details, except for it happened in
      the middle of the day and money and jewelry was taken.

      I know emails were circulated about our burglary that happened on
      09/22/04, but I don't think it was sent out to this list. Our house
      (on the 500 block of Beachwood) was burglarized in the middle of the
      day. The thief tried to get in several side windows and finally found
      a window in the back of the house that he could get in through. Credit
      card, jewelry, leather bag and several digital cameras were taken.

      A few weeks ago, someone tried to get into the house across the street
      in the middle of the day. They were not successful in getting into
      the house, but they did damage the screen. The person also may have
      been scared off by the large barking dog on the other side of the
      window.

      - Bill L.

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:12:03 +0000
      From: athein@...
      Subject: Re: Burglaries and Our Tax Advocating Councilman

      Bill,
      Are burglaries counted as a strike by our three strike laws?
      I think they should.

      In another vein, I am not favorably impressed when our councilman advocates all those tax increase measures that he wished they had passed.
      I don't like it when our councilman takes it for granted that we should support his straight from the bureaucratic City Hall, more from you and less from us policies.
      There�s no end to how much our current kleptocratic City, County and State governments want of our money, just as there�s no doubt about how diminishing the returns have been for paying more of it for their services during the past forty years. Have their services improved one bit while the cost for their services has risen twenty fold during the past forty years?
      Is there any reason why our policemen cost $200,000 a year whereas other communities throughout the union pay no more than $50,000 to $150,000 for them?
      ~Aard
      Aard V. Atheian, 560 N Plymouth Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004-1411, Ph&Fx 323.465.2695, Email: Athein@... .