Follow Up re: N. Gower attempted burglary

  • tara kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2013
      Captain Davis,

      I wanted to thank you again for your attention to my concerns following the
      attempted break-in at our home on Gower (while I was home). SLO Cordova
      stopped by the other day and we had a good long talk about it all -- he had
      contacted me a couple times earlier but we were away on vacation. I really
      do appreciate you all taking the time. I know you all have far bigger
      issues to deal with than our attempted-but-not-successful break-in
      situation. While I was obviously very rattled after the whole thing
      happened, and frustrated with the initial response from Wilshire Division
      and the hassles of having our block separated down the middle of the street
      with Olympic Division, I do appreciate the time you, SLO Cordova and SLO
      Pelayo at Olympic Division have taken to give some advice/info and respond
      to my concerns.

      Per *everyone*'s advice, we are re-activating our alarm system with a good
      audible alarm! And per other advice, in the future we will call 911
      (though hopefully never again necessary) to ensure we're directed to the
      right place right away -- as SLO Cordova said, if I'd actually realized
      what was happening *when* it was happening (v. 90 minutes later when I woke
      from a nap and realized the noise I'd heard had been a crow bar bashing on
      our door) and had called 911, the "cavalry" would've been here in moments.
      And we will, as advised:

      -keep our doors and windows locked -- especially when it gets cooler out
      and we tend to open them more, we'll be militant about checking
      -be on the alert for the "knock knock" bad guys and report ALL suspicious
      activity asap
      -ensure lots of lighting around our property at night, including motion
      lights
      -consider getting a security camera (even a fake one!) to discourage the
      bad guys
      -and most importantly, continue to work with our neighbors to all keep an
      eye out for each other and our homes.

      Again, truly appreciate your personal responsiveness and the efforts LAPD
      makes to catch the bad guys. Thanks, Tara Kelly (579. N. Gower)

      --
      Tara Kelly
      Consultant