Knock-knock attempts/suspicious behavior Mar. 31st

  • Karen Gilman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 12:05 AM
      Dear Neighbors,
      Susan Einstein wrote on Sunday night, March 31st the following note:

      Tonight when my mom's friends were dropping her off at her Arden Blvd guest house, there was a woman ringing the bell at the front house. No one was home there. When my mom got out of the car and headed up the drive, the woman who was African American bolted to a waiting car. There was a white guy driving and they drove off. It's was weird. then my mom's friends who had dropped her off saw the same car on Lillian Way driving up the street slowly. So my mom and her friends called the cops as it looked like these two were doing knock knock burglaries. My mom's friends kept following the car that seemed to be casing the neighborhood.. and when they saw the cops, they sent them in the right direction. The woman turned out to be a man, the cops told my mom when they called my mom back to ask if this person had committed a crime. He hadn't.. it only looked suspicious. We don't know what happened next.. but the LAPD was quick to respond and got the guy -- even though he was disguised as a woman... and even if there's wasn't a reason to arrest him, i'm sure they scared him away from the neighborhood for now. Plus my mom's friends did a great bit of detective work too. It just reinforces how we all need to watch out for each other.

      I'm not sure if these duo rings a bell to anyone. I remember reading on the 90004 yahoo blog about other knock-knock burglaries over the past year w/a white guy driving the car and a black man or woman doing the break in.. so maybe it's the same people?

      The follow up: Susan wrote on April 1st: the end of the story my mom heard from her friends who talked to the cop who stopped this guy. The guy is on probation, but they let him go because he didn't actually commit any crimes.. only came close .. and they're alerting his probation officer about the activity.

      So, neighbors: please continue to report any suspicious activity (trespassing on private property, such as wandering up driveways or into back yards, is illegal), call 911, keep doors and windows locked, alarms on, dogs barking, porch and side lights on all night. Know your neighbors, their cars, know when something appears to be out of the ordinary.